Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Oct 2023 at 11:49 PM Last edited by MistyMountain : 3rd Oct 2023 at 1:37 PM. Reason: Typo
Default Feedback on sharing my Sims 1 Save File
I've already re-created many of the lots from the Sims 1, and it suddenly occurred to me that if I enjoy the nostalgia and have most of my save full of Sims 1 builds, I could share my save file with others as opposed to sharing lots one at a time. However, many simmers have different views of what would be a re-creation or be considered a totally different build and thus not a Sims 1 lot.

Building in the Sims has come a long way. The Sims 1 didn't have foundations or basements; windows, doors and all other build items were stuck on the "grid", and although I love the game to pieces, the decorating left something to be desired.

I've included some pics of what the original game had, my "re-creation" of the original, as well as my "updated re-creation" that includes tools that didn't exist in the original game 23 years ago. I chose 3 lots as examples, the famous starter at 6 Sim Lane, the other starter at 10 Sim Lane, and the Jones house, because truthfully, it's a box on an expensive lot and is (imo) boring and doesn't fit the neighbourhood it was built for.

I'd like to know what would be the best approach to this save file. Keep it as original as possible? Or, update it with the tools available to me to make the lots the same but hopefully better?

So far, in my save file I've got the 10 original lots for the original neighbourhood, which includes the downloadable families from the "Get Cool Stuff" website. I've tried to organize them into their respective lot affordability, with a few lots left over for some of the expansion lots from Hot Date and Unleashed.

As well, I've been working very hard to try and get the "re-created" lots within 10 dollars of the original lot price. For example, in the original Sims 6 Sim Lane cost $10206. In the Sims 4 I was able to get the lot price to $10205 with the foundation and upgrades. I've done the same with the families, they all start with the same amount they did in the original game.

Although I have a few stuff packs and expansions, I've chosen to make this file with the Base Game only. I was looking at how to share save files and ran across the dilemma that most of them contained items I don't have and it borked the file on my end. I'd prefer to share a file that everyone can use no matter what stuff pack or expansion they do or don't have.

So, here are the pics I mentioned: feedback on what would be my best route would be greatly appreciated! This is for all the lots, not just these three. These are just examples to help clarify my question.

6 Sim Lane

10 Sim Lane

The Jones House (this one is still a work in progress, but this gives you an idea of where I'm going )

Thanks for any help
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 4th Oct 2023 at 10:47 PM
Fun project!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Oct 2023 at 4:24 AM
Default Sims 1 Save Progress
I'm still plugging along, working on filling this save file with Sims 1 lots and conversions. I moved the Hatfield House to a smaller lot which meant rebuilding it, but it fits in nicely.

I also did a new build of the Goth home, turning it on the lot so it faces the 40 side of a 40x30 lot instead of the short side. It works much better. I also had loads of fun creating ghosts for the family cemetery. It's too bad that ghosts don't save with lots, so I'm guessing a save file is the only way to keep them intact. Anyway, I used the Sims 1 Wiki to get information on who was in the graves in the Sims 1, and I created Sims for 5 of them. I then had the tedious task of turning them into ghosts. I could of used cheats, but where's the fun in that?! I will warn you, as Alexander wasn't in the Sims 1, he isn't here either. I used the Goth family from the Sims 4, but aged them down and Cassandra is a child again.

I was able to place the lower cost lots on the same street, which is the only street that is almost finished.

I did try to keep the Hatfield and Charming homes in the same price range, but no cigar. They do have the same amount of family funds though.

Very little needed to be done to keep Wrensday's on a base game model, but that doesn't work for Landgraab Mall. It definitely needs Get to Work for the retail aspect, and Dine Out for the restaurant. I have the lot in right now, but it's missing so much it wouldn't work on a base game level. I can however build a Lounge, there are quite a few in the Sims 1. I'm looking at putting the lounge on the strip beside Wrensday's. Any opinions on which one would be appreciated, there are 3 or 4 to choose from between Hot Date and Superstar. I did look at Hedman's Hideaway, but it also has a restaurant. Still pondering that one.

The families I have so far are:

1 Sim Lane: Jones
2 Sim Lane: Mashuga (from neighbourhood 2, Lot 9, Livin' Large)
3 Sim Lane:
4 Sim Lane: Maximus
5 Sim Lane: Goth
6 Sim Lane: Vacant Starter (partially furnished)
7 Sim Lane: Newbie
8 Sim Lane? (not sure on this one, debating to build the Valentino Family as it's been speculated that Julia may be related to Barbara Jones as twins. Would be interesting to add as a storyline in the modern version)
9 Sim Lane: Hatfield
10 Sim Lane: Empty Starter (unfurnished)
69 First Avenue: Charming
76 Gunther Goth Highway: Hick Family

I don't have cats & dogs, so the last 2 families don't have dogs, and that would change the parameters of making this "base game compatible".

This is a view of what is in so far:

The park in progress is "Crumplebottom Memorial Park" from the Hot Date expansion.

If anyone has any favourite families or homes they'd like me to include, please feel free to let me know! I'm at a bit of a "builder block" on what to work on next
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 17th Oct 2023 at 3:08 AM
Default Progress Update
After a slight hiatus for Thanksgiving , I completed Crumplebottom Memorial Park, as well as rebuilding the Mashuga House and fitting it onto a smaller lot. It worked out pretty well, and freed up a 30x40 lot for something else.

I've included pictures of the Sims 1 version of the park, as well as a few of the Sims 4 version for comparison. There are also a few pics of the updated Mashuga House.

Still lots of work to do, still deciding which "lounge" to build. The Sims 1 versions are all too big for the remaining lots, and are needless to say, slightly boring. I'll have to think outside the box on these. If I keep them original they will look like boxes...... This explains the plain, boring building beside Wrensday's. It's supposed to represent Hedman's Hideaway, but it looks awful in this version of the game.

As requested in the first post, any feedback on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated. I'm very eager to share this file, and having input on what others may or may not like in the save file would be helpful.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 20th Dec 2023 at 4:12 AM
Still working on this save, but it's been dormant for a bit because of the holidays and work. When I get more done I'll update the post. Happy Holidays and have fun swimming!!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 15th Mar 2024 at 9:49 PM
Well, life is getting busy, and I'm moving across country soon, so not too much time to work on this file. As it doesn't seem that anyone is too interested in it, and I don't have much time to put into it at this point, I've decided to put it on hold for the foreseeable future.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 15th Mar 2024 at 10:59 PM
I don't browse the forums much until recently, but this caught my attention.

I think you should update it with the tools available. While they looked perfectly normal in the Sims 1, the originals look awkward in Sims 4's art style, versatility and 3D-ness. If anything, recolor the door on 10 Sim Lane to match the windows.

A stupid signature
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 16th Mar 2024 at 1:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by stupidname
I don't browse the forums much until recently, but this caught my attention.

I think you should update it with the tools available. While they looked perfectly normal in the Sims 1, the originals look awkward in Sims 4's art style, versatility and 3D-ness. If anything, recolor the door on 10 Sim Lane to match the windows.

Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it

I was thinking along the same line about updating, and I did that with 10 Sim Lane already, it now has a foundation, and the door is brown instead of white.

But knowing that I'm not the only one who thinks the houses would look better with new tools gives me a fresh perspective.