Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th May 2019 at 8:40 AM
Default Sims 4 Free on Origin
Just a heads up for anyone like me who never purchased Sims 4 you can pick up a copy from Origin for free right now. Base game only of course.

Wren-der Simblr // Sim Art // Pictures // Downloads // Random Nonsensical Rambling
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 24th May 2019 at 1:02 PM
Good to know. Thank you!
Mad Poster
#3 Old 24th May 2019 at 4:23 PM
Shouldn't this be in the TS4 section?

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Scholar
Original Poster
#4 Old 24th May 2019 at 10:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AGuyCalledPi
Shouldn't this be in the TS4 section?

That would be pointless as people in the Sims 4 section already own it. It's just general info for players of sims.

Wren-der Simblr // Sim Art // Pictures // Downloads // Random Nonsensical Rambling
Mad Poster
#5 Old 24th May 2019 at 10:26 PM
Why not post it in every other section as well then? It's not something that's any more relevant to players of TS3 (who already have their reasons for currently playing 3 instead of 4) than anyone else.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Scholar
Original Poster
#6 Old 24th May 2019 at 10:43 PM
Why not post it in every other section as well then? It's not something that's any more relevant to players of TS3 (who already have their reasons for currently playing 3 instead of 4) than anyone else.

As it's already posted in Sims 4 section, I checked, you are free to pass the info to Sims 2 players if you are very concerned with them missing out. But unless the Moderators decide my post is inappropriate it can stay here where it harms no one, except your delicate sensibilities. Done engaging with this trolling now.

Mad Poster
#7 Old 25th May 2019 at 5:37 PM

Or just don't wanna waste their money when they can get to try for free mere for curiosity. The price is also the reason why some of them haven't bought it.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Scholar
#8 Old 25th May 2019 at 6:05 PM
@AGuyCalledPi
it's purely informative, don't get jerky - there's so many things in the world to be pissed off, why to waste your righteous wrath on a petty, lame game ?

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Theorist
#9 Old 25th May 2019 at 10:25 PM
They’re even giving it away free now. Must be selling really good then. It wasn’t worth my hard drive space at full price, and it still isn’t now.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Inventor
#10 Old 25th May 2019 at 10:35 PM
I wonder what the catch is, why would they give it out for free now? EA is not known to do things just because, or to be nice.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 26th May 2019 at 12:43 AM
I'm sure peepls at the studio have a reason something to brag. "Hey, look at how much people we won over? Nothing wrong with TS4 yall. It received lots of new (potential) customers!". Well ya, probably why they didn't bought it the expensive of yours. Your not gonna fool everyone.

Mad Poster
#13 Old 26th May 2019 at 2:01 AM
I suspect as much....no wonder TS4 is claimed to be such a hit when they keep slapping serious discounts on it or giving the thing away for free entirely. They're very proud of the fact that millions of people own it, in the same way that other franchises are currently doing well for reasons entirely unrelated to the actual quality of the product. Did you know that there's 7.5 billion people on Earth and that until quite recently, most of them didn't actively consume Western media?

insert signature here
Scholar
Original Poster
#14 Old 26th May 2019 at 4:02 AM
Its not like they didn't give Sims 3 stuff away for free. I got both Generations and Town Life Stuff for free from Origin. Its the only reason Origin is even on my computer. Why would anyone pay for something they can get for free, legally of course. Yes I suspect they want to try and convert more buyers to Sims 4, businesses always want more consumers, but that doesn't mean anyone had to buy anything. From the 10 minutes I played of it they won't be getting my money for anything else, but trying things out isn't going to hurt me.

Field Researcher
#15 Old 26th May 2019 at 6:26 AM
I might try it out just to build houses, because imo, TS4 is really smooth looking in terms of houses and trees and things and they have that better differing wall height system, but I played TS4 once after a friend bought it, back when it was new and hated so many things about it. I got bored very fast, and never decided to buy it for myself.

I don't have anything against it being posted here, because while many of the TS3 players have reasons for not playing TS4, there is the off chance that their reason is that the game was too expensive. Also, I didn't first hear about it being free from this post, but I might just download as a time waster to play around with for about ten minutes before I realize why I hated it so much in the first place, and then uninstall it lol. Overall, I think it's helpful that you mentioned it just in case, and I don't see any harm in doing so.

(But the fact that I'm still contemplating over whether to take the time to install it when it is literally completely free of charge, just shows how terrible of a game it was eheh, but for those who think differently that's fine! Suit yourself aha.)
Scholar
#16 Old 26th May 2019 at 10:53 AM
I am pretty sure they win some people over who will like the nice looking sims and the smooth performance of base game. And then they buy an expansion or two, discover how shallow the game feels and drop it again. But EA have made extra sales, so they win. I would be one of them if I didn't need to find mods for someone else for TS4 all the time and see what the game is because of that.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 26th May 2019 at 11:08 AM Last edited by SneakyWingPhoenix : 26th May 2019 at 11:19 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by MurderPrincessK
Its not like they didn't give Sims 3 stuff away for free. I got both Generations and Town Life Stuff for free from Origin. Its the only reason Origin is even on my computer. Why would anyone pay for something they can get for free, legally of course. Yes I suspect they want to try and convert more buyers to Sims 4, businesses always want more consumers, but that doesn't mean anyone had to buy anything. From the 10 minutes I played of it they won't be getting my money for anything else, but trying things out isn't going to hurt me.

Then there's TS2 Ultimate Collection deal, but that was more of their scheme to have more people go on to use Origin.
Quote: Originally posted by mithrak_nl
I am pretty sure they win some people over who will like the nice looking sims and the smooth performance of base game. And then they buy an expansion or two, discover how shallow the game feels and drop it again. But EA have made extra sales, so they win. I would be one of them if I didn't need to find mods for someone else for TS4 all the time and see what the game is because of that.

Unfortunately, but that's very true. Shame that some people are a bit to naive and look at it without a benefit of doubt. Said it in same other thread, but I would repeat: my advice for those who find the game barebone, don't rush to buy a single or more expansion/stuff/game packs. Play it for a year (as If you're living the moment where the game in its production state; packs just being released gradually), make a list/summary what it's missing for your, and see If any of the packs remedy by including said content. If not, then it's really probably not worth a dime to be spent on. Where you money is spent now really matters more than ranting about the lackluster game state, and you could really make a difference by not giving into EA's marketing manipulation. Of course, you could leave a critical feedback behind, but it's unlikely it's gonna be received as vital until you show in th eyes of maxis your cash is stuff right back to your pocket.

Field Researcher
#18 Old 26th May 2019 at 4:19 PM
I wouldn't even take it as a freebie, if I'm honest. Earlier in the year when my husband had reclaimed the PC, I bought it for £8.00 in an Origin sale and installed it on my laptop for something to do while I couldn't get to TS3... I tried. I really did. It's just really not for me. Instead, I re-installed TS2 on the laptop and had a better time.

That said, I didn't uninstall TS4 so maybe I'll try again someday...

.:: B2SIMS.com ::.
Inventor
#19 Old 26th May 2019 at 5:08 PM
TS4 BASE GAME is really boring without any EPs in my opinion. Unlike TS2 and 3, the base game is just lacking too much to be enjoyable. I think it's a smart move for them to offer the game for free. Maybe some people would get interested enough to buy the EPs. This is what many live service games are doing.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 26th May 2019 at 5:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kylaaab
I might try it out just to build houses, because imo, TS4 is really smooth looking in terms of houses and trees and things and they have that better differing wall height system

One of my personal biggest issues with TS4, and this is something I've heard from others as well (albeit not particularly often) is that the houses just aren't as realistic. No matter how hard you try, they always have that slightly exaggerated cartoon aesthetic. TS3 is the best Sims game in this aspect, by far, in that everything is well to scale and that the lighting engine does the architecture a lot of favours as well. I once had the exact same home in both games, at least to the best of my abilities, and the one in TS4 just wasn't very convincing. It looked like an actual dollhouse, despite having very similar proportions. Now, admittedly, it looked much cozier in TS4 due to the softer shading and the more exaggerated ambient lighting, but it looked so much more like a video game rather than a render of a real house.

insert signature here
Field Researcher
#21 Old 26th May 2019 at 7:22 PM
One of my personal biggest issues with TS4, and this is something I've heard from others as well (albeit not particularly often) is that the houses just aren't as realistic. No matter how hard you try, they always have that slightly exaggerated cartoon aesthetic. TS3 is the best Sims game in this aspect, by far, in that everything is well to scale and that the lighting engine does the architecture a lot of favours as well. I once had the exact same home in both games, at least to the best of my abilities, and the one in TS4 just wasn't very convincing. It looked like an actual dollhouse, despite having very similar proportions. Now, admittedly, it looked much cozier in TS4 due to the softer shading and the more exaggerated ambient lighting, but it looked so much more like a video game rather than a render of a real house.

Yeah, that's understandable. Weirdly enough, I kind of like how the houses look too smooth to be real, and are comparable to houses made by some architecture program, rather than real life. Then again, I remember after trying out TS4 that I just hated the fact that they took away create-a-style. Why go backwards when create-a-style allowed for so many more options without adding loads of custom content? Realistically, it seems like besides the terms of performance and shading, TS1 would have been the first to come out, TS2 next, TS4 after that (or maybe even TS4 before TS2), and then TS3, because EA pretty much went backwards in terms of how much of a 'sandbox game' the game is. It doesn't make sense to me that a game goes from not having an open world and create-a-style, to having it, and then going back to not having it when so many people love these aspects of TS3.

Plus, there was that whole thing with how they took away the toddler life stage (and I know that they added it back with one of the expansions, but I feel like it's ridiculous that an expansion pack is required for a life stage). There were of course other reasons besides those that I didn't like the game (Including those pointless walk styles, where there is one that's realistic and all the others are ways that no one would ever walk) I'm just ranting at this point haha, so I'm gonna stop.

TS4 still has some redeeming qualities though, so it's understandable why some people prefer it, based on what they find important in a game. They had some interaction improvements (I think?), and some people prefer the create a sim of TS4, but when it all comes down to it, if someone didn't like the game before it was free, they aren't going to enjoy it any more now, and if they haven't tried it and they do like it, they were bound to cross over to TS4 eventually. To each their own ig..
Top Secret Researcher
#22 Old 26th May 2019 at 8:44 PM
I did install it only because it was free. I did the same with 2 when it was up for free ( don't play ). I probably won't play it but I cannot overlook a freebie : )

And I'm happy it was posted here or I wouldn't have known there was a deal on it.
Field Researcher
#23 Old 27th May 2019 at 5:13 AM
Woe is me I bought the base game for $40...

Sims 4 without dlc is as fun as peeling potatoes.
Field Researcher
#24 Old 27th May 2019 at 5:41 AM
I downloaded it and played it.

I now know I made the right decision to never buy it, I got bored in less than 3 hours. What a snore. Shut it off and I booted up The Sims 3, might boot up The Sims 2 later this week. All this game makes me want to do is shut it off and play it's much superior prequels. Being brutally honest, I wanted to like this game but I simply don't. I don't want to have to burn a lot of time and money on collecting DLCs and mods to make it a bearable game.
Top Secret Researcher
#25 Old 27th May 2019 at 6:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by bluegirl45
I downloaded it and played it.

I now know I made the right decision to never buy it, I got bored in less than 3 hours. What a snore. Shut it off and I booted up The Sims 3, might boot up The Sims 2 later this week. All this game makes me want to do is shut it off and play it's much superior prequels. Being brutally honest, I wanted to like this game but I simply don't. I don't want to have to burn a lot of time and money on collecting DLCs and mods to make it a bearable game.

Like I did with TS3. Unbearable without Twallan's mods. How I miss TS2. I kick myself in the head for tossing out my TS2 discs. At that time I thought, " Hey, I've got TS3 now. I'll never play TS2 again." I'm an idiot.

TS2 and TS3: Where adult sims potty train their toddlers.
TS4: Where adult sims make Angry Poops.

Which game is made for the juvenile minded?
Page 1 of 3