Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Jul 2017 at 7:43 AM Last edited by ClockworkSim : 15th Aug 2017 at 1:27 AM.
Austenland Challenge
Austenland - the one and only themed resort where a true die-hard fan can eat, sleep, and breathe the elegant lives described by the beloved author who wrote works like Pride & Prejudice and Sense & Sensibility. Every detail sings to your Sim, and they've finally scraped together the funds to go! There's just one problem... They were tricked by their less-than-honest travel agent, and have now spent their life savings on an inferior experience. Your challenge is to make sure your sim gets the most out of their dream vacation into the world of their all-time favorite Author.

To set-up this challenge, you will need:
Sims-
+ 1 Main Sim, Male or Female, Attractive or Not, Etc. The one required trait is Bookish, as they are obsessed with the author the resort is dedicated to.
+ 1 or more Friends/Enemies for your Sim. These are the other resort visitors, they can be whatever you want, EXCEPT for the shared bookish trait. (They also went here on vacation.) These characters are important to the achievements portion of the challenge.
+ 2 or more Employees for the Resort. They can be whatever you want, with whatever traits you choose (or randomly assign.) These characters are important to the achievements portion of the challenge.
+ You'll also need to hire a butler or make another sim, this is the owner of the resort.
Lot/Town-
+You can use any town you want
+ Your lot should be as large as possible and be designed into a resort. If you're going to stick with the original theme (Austen-land) then make it Regency Era (1811-1820 England) style and decorations. If you want a different theme, shoot for the moon. Cyborgs, Japanese Traditions, Native American... I'm horrible with actually trying to invent a working theme but I BELIEVE IN YOU.
+ Your lot should have enough bedrooms for all your sims (from above.) That's a minimum of 5. All of the bedrooms should be grandiose suites that include their own bathrooms (and if possible a sitting room and/or dressing room) and match whatever theme you chose EXCEPT for your poor Sim. Their cheap package only bought them a small dingy room with a single bed and low level plumbing.
+ Kitchen, Library, Sitting Room, and Garden are all recommended spaces to really finish your property and make it shine. I recommend a buffet table, as your sim is on vacation and shouldn't be cooking.
+ I will eventually finish a house that meets the criteria that has been described above and post a link for downloading it here but it is not ready at this time.
HERE IT IS: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail...assetId=9102617

Rules:
Some of these rules that seem weird are because the committed owner of the resort wanting it to be an "authentic" experience. Just a heads up.
- Your sim can't leave the lot to do anything. MINUS 1000 pts if this happens.
- Your sim can't use any electronic devices including cell phones. If they are caught by the owner (in the same room as the butler) then it's MINUS 50 pts for breaking the illusion. (If they aren't caught, PLUS 10 pts.)
- You should try to dress your sims in theme appropriate clothes. Note, some outfits like Athletic or Swim probably won't match but shouldn't be seen in game play. If these (non-theme) outfits are seen by the owner (in the same room as the butler) MINUS 10 pts for inappropriate dress.
- Your sims shouldn't be cooking, because that is the owner's job. No points attached, but if the owner comes in while your sim is cooking, you have to leave the kitchen.
- Only play your Main Character Sim. The others should function as NPCs, but if you want to cancel actions that take them off lot or involve 'inappropriate' behavior then go ahead.
- No parties, unlimited money cheats, don't buy vehicles but if you have the pets expansion then slap in a stable.
- Activities include reading; chess; painting; writing (when the owner isn't around); gardening/farming; and playing guitar (we'll pretend it's a mandolin ), fiddle/violin, bass/cello, or piano.
. . - So really just don't play drums, computer games, or modern/magic stuff from the expansion packs... unless it fits your altered theme.

Achievements:
(You can only earn each achievement once! Penalties above can happen repeatedly.)
- Become Best Friends with another Resort Guest. PLUS 150 Pts.
- Become Enemies with another Resort Guest. PLUS 150 Pts.
. . - 50 BONUS pts if they have the same love interest.
- Develop a love interest. PLUS 100 Pts.
- Develop two love interests simultaneously PLUS 200 pts.
- Stay together after break-up fight with a love interest if/when they find out you're a "cheater." PLUS 300 pts
- Reach Level 8 in any one approved instrument while living at the resort. PLUS 150 pts.
- Finish your own Romance Novel while living at the resort. PLUS 300 pts
- Finish your own Masterpiece Novel while living at the resort. PLUS 1000 pts.
- Move into a larger suite by doing one of the following...
. . - Becoming Boyfriend/Girlfriend of another sim and moving in their suite with them. PLUS 150 pts
. . - Fight an Enemy and Win. PLUS 150 pts.

NOTE- This challenge was directly inspired by a movie I'm fond of- "Austenland." I came up with this challenge based off of that film, and it's source of inspiration (Jane Austen's works.) If you dig this challenge, or simply like Austen, or maybe just like rom-coms, I recommend this film.

I want to see the characters, the resorts, and especially the themes that anyone designs! Let us know what your scores are and how the challenge is going!
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 2nd Sep 2017 at 6:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by QuiltedRose
This looks like so much fun! I'm going to make a space themed one, like they're at a resort on the moon!

That sounds really cool and weird I'd really like some screen shots once you have been set up.
Test Subject
#3 Old 20th Apr 2018 at 1:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ClockworkSim
That sounds really cool and weird I'd really like some screen shots once you have been set up.

And I promptly forgot to do this xD Maybe for my next project. Or I'll just use your little mansion, that wasn't here last time