Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#2501 Old 23rd Feb 2019 at 6:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DeservedCriticism
but I just find it weird because they're essentially getting mad at someone for pursuing knowledge. For me it's like the gaming world's version of disliking someone for going to school.

Hehe. I like that analogy because I think it's true. It probably goes back to the idea of "fear of the unknown." People don't understand it, so they don't like it. It's a concept that's completely foreign to me, as I like tinkering and figuring things out. But this is nothing new. People have thought this way of any manner of topics for a very long time.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2502 Old 23rd Feb 2019 at 6:23 PM

I truly don't understand how any of that can be considered to be a spoiler by anyone who watched the trailer--everything was revealed in it! Oh, except for the "Mother" bit, which was revealed by the gurus playing around with that obnoxious font. It was painfully obvious.

Actually, this reminds me quite a bit of The ClueFinders 6th Grade Adventures: The Empire of the Plant People.
Here's the plot:

A fool and his money are soon parted. ~ Thomas Tusser
Top Secret Researcher
#2503 Old 23rd Feb 2019 at 7:30 PM
I have a particularly hard time with "OMG modding is of teh devil!!!!" thing because the other games I play a lot of besides the Sims, are from Paradox. Paradox is famous for its support of their modding community, and I think all of their games have a huge variety of small mods, and several comprehensive 'big mods.' (In fact, it's why I don't play their games ironman; I really like big mods, and I cannot lie.)

It's funny that the games I play the most, for the last twenty years, are hotbeds of modding. I can't remember the last time I played one vanilla (except right after a patch release).
Instructor
#2504 Old 23rd Feb 2019 at 9:13 PM
We should get a lot of new info about Strangerville tomorrow from the simmers with early access as the embargo will be lifted then. Lil Simsie already said they got the game Thursday and recorded their entire lets play Thursday night. Doesn't sound like there's much to play then? Lol.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#2505 Old 23rd Feb 2019 at 10:36 PM Last edited by matrix54 : 24th Feb 2019 at 1:26 AM.
I feel like the story could have been told much more effectively within the Sims framework. Leave all of the clues scattered about for players to piece together if they’re interested. Discovering weirdness would be far more interesting than [Insert Forced Plot Here]. That’s why Strangetown worked. You know something strange happened, but you never knew what exactly until you look around.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Field Researcher
#2506 Old 23rd Feb 2019 at 10:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by hiabara
https://simscommunity.info/2019/02/...FBakkX8RJXMo6aI (Possibly huge spoilers for the story)
I saw this link floating around on Twitter and the official forums, and the Gurus only repeatedly said to use spoiler tags and that the code was indeed found in the game data yesterday.

I have no idea how legit it really is, so take it with a grain of salt, but I can't stop laughing because it sounds so surreal and weird I literally went "... What?" when I read this I can only imagine how easy it would be to
and it doesn't seem like much replay value. But it would really explain why this pack doesn't seem to have much content... In theory I think something like this could be entertaining, but not instead of other content. It should really only be used as additional fun and not as main content of a pack.
I'm actually curious about the embargo lift tomorrow tbh

Health Bar? It is The Sims or already not?
Field Researcher
#2507 Old 23rd Feb 2019 at 10:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Orphalesion
Seriously? A
in a non-console Sims title? What's next? Leveling up? Summoning Minions? Searching drop boxes for weapons and armour?

Battle Royale. I read Sims 4 devs like it.
Mad Poster
#2508 Old 24th Feb 2019 at 12:02 AM
@Liza, you should probably use spoilers though. Likely there are reading (magority of lurkers)/people who would be engaging to find the story on their own.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Instructor
#2509 Old 24th Feb 2019 at 1:18 AM
How come the devs don't realize that Sims might be the worst type of game to turn into a point-and-click adventure? Anyone who played a Sims Stories game will now how stiff and forced (and glitchy) everything is. Even a visual novel is better than Sims.
Mad Poster
#2510 Old 24th Feb 2019 at 1:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Liza
Battle Royale. I read Sims 4 devs like it.

The art style is already close enough to Fortnite, don't give them any ideas!

That being said,

Forum Resident
#2511 Old 24th Feb 2019 at 10:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Apsalar
As much as I think stories can be fun to follow in games, I'd rather we could get story sandbox tools that lets us create our own stories. A story like this one is something you do when you have nothing else to add to the game. But hey, it might still be fun, I just get really tired of the devs not getting what a sims game is supposed to be, albeit in my opinion.

I've been feeling this way ever since Rod "Gonna Give It To Ya" Humble graced us with the mediocre point-and-click treasure finder that was World Adventures. That EP started a proud tradition of EPs that offered up unchallenging content with no replayability. Honestly, I think one of the reasons so many folks clamor for Seasons and Pets remakes is because they were so much more interesting to unpack and figure out mechanically.

I wouldn't even mind repeat EPs if they refined the gameplay of the expansions that inspired them. Give me a dopey dating Sim, give me a business to run, give me a chance to have my plans go awry. For the LOVE of GOD, do not give me a quarter-assed point-and-click adventure that gives me more crap to put in my house for moodlet buffs.

I don't want to disparage the genuine love I think some folks in The Sims Studio have for the franchise, but this lack of attention to the simulation has been off the rails since WA. Hell, some people would argue the franchise started to get unfocused past TS2 Seasons.

I like goofy scenarios, but if the developers hand-craft a situation for me, then it is only interesting once. If they give me the tools to make new scenarios, then I can have an entire weekend disappear into the game.

"Given enough time, hydrogen starts to wonder where it came from, and where it is going." - Edward R. Harrison
Mad Poster
#2512 Old 24th Feb 2019 at 12:19 PM
Pets are bare bone most of the time. That and Seasons are bought specifically for realism imo. Mechanically complex? Sure, but in concept design not really. It just gives Sims four-legged running sociable companions and for them to worry about temperature changes and precipitation.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#2513 Old 24th Feb 2019 at 3:07 PM
If they stopped trying to do so much at one time they could create a better experience.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Forum Resident
#2514 Old 24th Feb 2019 at 4:54 PM
Embargo lift happened an hour ago and Crinrict has a nice written list with a lot of details and still seems to answer questions
https://forums.thesims.com/en_us/di...omment_16968510

Things that stood out to me:
- Laptops can only be used on desks, not on the floor sigh
- New death(s?)
- No new skills
- No new woohoo place
- No new lot traits
- One new aspiration (Strangerville Mystery) and one new trait (Paranoid) and some reward traits
- Some plants and infected Sims seem to wander around the town even if you don't play the story
- The "stranger weather" doesn't seem to have any actual effect

Also, that font the Gurus used will actually be in the game for some notifications and moods

About the story - I skipped a bit through the story videos and mostly it seemed like
but here's one video with the "interesting" information we talked about yesterday https://youtu.be/XGJTukN7SCY?t=716 Huge spoiler warning if you care about the story, duh. I didn't watch the whole thing and mostly skipped through it, but it doesn't seem really... engaging or involving for the player?
Mad Poster
#2515 Old 24th Feb 2019 at 5:07 PM
one new trait (Paranoid)

A Sim with Paranoid trait: *Exists*

Their emotion:
Or "very tense"... either way, people who understood got the point.

You can carry the laptop at least... which is how it should be.

Forum Resident
#2516 Old 24th Feb 2019 at 5:19 PM
New death, new club options, new trait, new aspiration... Really don't like the concept, but love the look. Guess, I have to treat this like a 20 dollar stuff pack.
Scholar
#2517 Old 24th Feb 2019 at 5:20 PM
The objects are really cool, but as usual there are WAY too much that is deco. Deco trailers are so disappointing, and that's just the most jarring example.

So be it. Move. ~Jason Bourne
Simblr
Mad Poster
#2518 Old 24th Feb 2019 at 5:28 PM Last edited by jje1000 : 24th Feb 2019 at 10:07 PM.
Embargo lift happened an hour ago and Crinrict has a nice written list with a lot of details and still seems to answer questions
https://forums.thesims.com/en_us/di...omment_16968510

About the story - I skipped a bit through the story videos and mostly it seemed like
but here's one video with the "interesting" information we talked about yesterday https://youtu.be/XGJTukN7SCY?t=716 Huge spoiler warning if you care about the story, duh. I didn't watch the whole thing and mostly skipped through it, but it doesn't seem really... engaging or involving for the player?

So the embargo has lifted, the game isn't even out, and people have already finished the game pack? Talk about pre-emptive marketing.

Also build/buy overview: https://simscommunity.info/2019/02/...items-overview/

As I feared, a lot of it feels very similar to the content in the basegame and Get to Work, to the point where where you could switch objects out for the others and they wouldn't feel out of place.
Instructor
#2519 Old 24th Feb 2019 at 6:10 PM

I think my favorite part of this is that his team, as well as the hive-minded Sims trying to stop his team, are clearly both suffering from the very same bugs that cause other NPC sims to just stand around in shops and active careers and not actually do anything. There's like three partner sims and three attacking enemy sims present. Only one of those attackers successfully did something beyond stand there and the two other teammates periodically failed to do any animations. Kinda hard to build a dramatic tone when the supposed enemy swarm is standing there smiling like normal sims in the idle position alongside your allies and only one of your Sims is responding to your commands regularly...

You'd think it'd get embarassing when the same exact issues diminish the experience every single time and never get fixed.
Scholar
#2520 Old 24th Feb 2019 at 6:11 PM Last edited by DrChillgood : 24th Feb 2019 at 9:22 PM.
They created a Possessed "emotion". This is the closest I've gotten to impressed with anything they did in TS4 recently. Yet they still can't split frustration and fear.

1/8/2016: New avatar! Pre-censored for EA's approval.
3/19/2015: Teens are too close to YAs. EA needs to either shorten the teens, or add preteens and make YAs look older.
Instructor
#2521 Old 24th Feb 2019 at 6:22 PM
Also wanna point out....

3-5 hours?! Dude that guy's entire Let's Play is about 79 minutes long! (less, I rounded up) I'm not about to sit through it all so it's possible he cut out some skill grinding or something, but I sincerely doubt that he cut out any important story elements or the like.

It sounds like even 3 hours was a highly generous estimate on behalf of the Sims team, so yeah wtf.
Mad Poster
#2522 Old 24th Feb 2019 at 6:29 PM
I think it's save to say that they're "running out of ideas"...

but no they're aren't and I freakin believe they do too.

Forum Resident
#2523 Old 24th Feb 2019 at 6:32 PM
https://forums.thesims.com/en_us/di...omment_16970119
Apparently laptops cannot even be closed... Big oof here. Can only be used on tables, can not be closed - So basically no difference to a normal computer except Sims can carry it around.

Quote: Originally posted by DeservedCriticism
Also wanna point out....

3-5 hours?! Dude that guy's entire Let's Play is about 79 minutes long! (less, I rounded up) I'm not about to sit through it all so it's possible he cut out some skill grinding or something, but I sincerely doubt that he cut out any important story elements or the like.

It sounds like even 3 hours was a highly generous estimate on behalf of the Sims team, so yeah wtf.

Yeah, I've only seen two complete playthroughs so far and both were around 100 minutes. Feels bad when you have to remember that it will be even less time when you replay it because you'll already know what to do, where to click etc.
Mad Poster
#2524 Old 24th Feb 2019 at 6:39 PM
https://forums.thesims.com/en_us/di...omment_16970119
Apparently laptops cannot even be closed... Big oof here. Can only be used on tables, can not be closed - So basically no difference to a normal computer except Sims can carry it around.

Those who consider buying the pack purely for those two objects will find the object useful:
- It's a computer that looks like laptop.

Nitpicking, but If you think about it, in TS3 you could use a laptop anywhere, and by that I mean Sim on their lap without requirement of a surface object. You could just easily instantly enter build mode with your active Sim in a community lot (btw, useful addition apart from many downfalls of TS4) and plop down any computer for free for Sims to use at desire situations. Then again, it's just an aesthetical pet peeve that your Sim can only use it on desk.

Instructor
#2525 Old 24th Feb 2019 at 6:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Those who consider buying the pack purely for those two objects will find the object useful:
- It's a computer that looks like laptop.

Nitpicking, but If you think about it, in TS3 you could use a laptop anywhere, and by that I mean Sim on their lap without requirement of a surface object. You could just easily instantly enter build mode with your active Sim in a community lot (btw, useful addition apart from many downfalls of TS4) and plop down any computer for free for Sims to use at desire situations.

If you really think about it, ask yourself what's brand new about this pack.

What I mean is, how many assets are entirely new in their behavior and aren't reusing the mesh of another pre-existing object? The laptop is clearly just a computer with a different skin marked as an inventory item, the animation for fighting the boss is just the animation for clearing out weeds being repurposed, and pretty much the only new animations are the martial arts, final boss and the weird walk the townies do. Even martial arts looks ripped from Sims 3 to me, if that's possible. From what I'm seeing, everything else about the pack just repurposes pre-existing content, since much of the "quest" is things like talking to sims or digging through trash, which we could already do before.

I just look at it and I have to ask what exactly in this pack required loads of effort and how long was this pack in development? It basically seems more like a stuff pack, except the special feature isn't one object, but rather a little story quest tied into the pack and a mini town. That'd be welcomed if it were a stuff pack, but it's a game pack. This game pack basically feels like it's a new world and that's it really, but I have to question if a new world with a quest that takes a little over one hour is superior to something like vampires, where the town has 6 less lots but the game content on offer has far more replay value and complexity to it.

But oh no, Vampires required EFFORT. They had to do animations and code in a skill system and the like, and we all know how awful it is to provide effort.
Page 101 of 185