Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th May 2015 at 7:20 AM
Default World size conundrum
Okay, I've run into a bit of a mental dilemma and need advice before I can continue building in CAW.

I've heard people talk about map sizes affecting performance. I've done most of my work on the Large map scale. When I came back across people talking about map sizes and game performance again, I paused and tossed together a smaller footprint of the town I've been building on a Medium size map. i ended up with something that could work, but leaves me feeling a bit.. claustrophobic. Despite the large number of questions I've already been asking around here, I decided the easiest way for me to get past this roadblock is to just slap up screenshots of the renders and have people with more experience tell me if what I'm aiming for is aiming too high. Since I have a history of making things far more complicated for myself than they need to be, I wouldn't at all be surprised if I aim actually aiming too high on this project. Development-wise, I'm at the point of starting to draw the countryside subdivisions and add in streetlamps, fire hydrants, etc. I can go back and change the road textures, finish the land-sculpting, and all the rest of that stuff later on when everything has it's place.

Large Map Version

Crappy Medium-size Footprint Render
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 18th May 2015 at 6:04 PM
The largest size is the best option. Routing issues can be sorted with sufficient testing and the right mods. Medium and smaller towns are just too small to work with and this community is notorious for having people with under-spec computers, hence why they champion small towns.
Bigger is better.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th May 2015 at 6:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tizerist
The largest size is the best option. Routing issues can be sorted with sufficient testing and the right mods. Medium and smaller towns are just too small to work with and this community is notorious for having people with under-spec computers, hence why they champion small towns.
Bigger is better.

Thank you! I was hoping someone would say that but I just wasn't sure. So I had to ask before continuing my work on the Large model. Off I go to resume!