Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Jun 2007 at 9:20 AM
Default Trying to convert a 2-tile Door to a 3-tile Door
I'm attempting to make the 2-Tile Daniel the Lionhearted door into a 3-tile door. So far, I seem to have done everything right. The door is centered on the 3 tiles and Sims are pathing through the door properly. I just can't, for the life of me, figure out how to center the wallmask on the door to finish it off. So, where would I look to shift the mask over that 1/2-tile?

Sorry for the noobish question, but this is my first object mod, and I've searched the forums several times and have come up empty on an answer. Thanks!
Screenshots
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#2 Old 28th Jun 2007 at 9:44 AM
I have a feeling this won't happen. I don't think you can apply a wall mask that cuts more than its own section of wall, so you would literally have to add two more tiles to the door (one for each of inside and outside) and unless you want to do some complicated programming, there isn't a portal function written for a three-tile door.

How would I approach this? I think I would make it a one-tile door with a 3D model that is actually the equivalent width of 3 tiles, and then make an object based on a window to cut out the wall each side. If you get everything lined up right it should look ok, with the sims walking through the door only in the centre of its span.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Jun 2007 at 3:18 PM
I dunno. There is the two-story, three-tile door that I'm using as a sort of template to build this. I went in and chopped out all of the second story data and the behavioral programming is in there to add the third tile to the portal function. Somehow they got the wallmasking on those doors to work on the three-tile system as well. The actual portal function is working perfectly at this point which the sims pathing through the doors as intended. It's just that I can't figure out how to shift the wallmask at all.

I think what I'll do is rebuild the file again tonight and see what happens. I went into this knowing next to nothing about modding objects so my package is pretty frankensteined and ugly. I'm hoping that I can do some creative nip/tuck, knowing what I know now, with the template file and get this bugger to work. I'm get the feeling that I'm just missing some joint in the CRES to shift over to nudge the wall mask into place. I could swear I've tried them all, though.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#4 Old 28th Jun 2007 at 5:13 PM
Oh! Sorry I didn't know there was a 3-tile door. I spend more time making websites and modding than playing! Ok well I take it back.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 30th Jun 2007 at 9:08 AM
FYI, I just got it finished and working perfectly (as best I can tell with a brief test). I had everything down previously, and just didn't understand how wallmasks worked. Once I figured out how to clone in a third set of mask tiles and get everything all referenced around, it pulled together like a charm.

I've attached the package if anyone wants to use it as a base for any possible single-story, 3-tile double-door projects they might have. Sorry it's not diagonal-ready, though. I was only shooting for a straight door for this project.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  rb_door_3tiledaniel.rar (347.8 KB, 148 downloads) - View custom content
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 24th Jul 2007 at 7:49 PM
This seems to be just what I'm looking for as I am trying to take the Daniel Arch from 2 tiles to 4 tiles. If I understand correctly I will need to have 4 sets of masks in total, one set for each tile. So far so good.

Could someone please point me in the right direction so that I can then figure out how to get everything "referenced around" as I am clueless on where to link everything together.

Many thanks.

--- Tatiana ---

You can find out more about my creations at the SterlingSims2 Creator's Forum Tatiana's Tea Room.