Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Mar 2018 at 4:59 AM
Default Good External Hard Drives
So I really like keeping backups of everything in my game just in case anything happens, I currently use tiny flash drives but they aren't really the best because they don't have a lot of data to store stuff on and they can easily get lost, Having said that I am looking for an external hard drive in which you can plug it into your computer and actually drag and drop files into it instead of having to download its software, and then let it back up your entire computer! Is there a such thing as one where you can just drag and drop? If so give me some links to places I can order one cause I can't take much more of these dumb flash drives
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 27th Mar 2018 at 6:54 AM
Am pretty sure you can ignore or get rid of the suggested or included backup software and use drag/drop on any external hard drive. Never heard of one where this isn't possible, at least not in recent years. Long ago we had to reformat externals to get rid of all the junk they tend to include, but even that wasn't very difficult. Prices vary as to capacity and reliability, I would just grab one that was the size I needed from Amazon, Newegg, or your favorite online store that got halfway decent reviews. Maybe others here have some particular brand name preferences though.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 27th Mar 2018 at 12:37 PM
It depends on where you live -- I'm in NYC so there's Targets selling Seagate and My Passport brand external hard drives left and right . I have several 500GB Seagates, and one 1TB My Passport. They're fine -- the Seagates tend to malfunction more though if you're clumsy with them. I also have a 500GB Imation Expert brand, which has lasted the absolute longest; a good 6 or so years now. It's STURDY. I forgot where I got it from though. :\ They all cost about the same: anywhere from $50 - $80 depending on how much space you want, and what the sales are.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 27th Mar 2018 at 5:20 PM Last edited by igazor : 27th Mar 2018 at 5:31 PM.
Okay, yes it does depend where one is. I needed a 1-2 TB external right away over a year ago for work related use and didn't have time to mess about with online orders and price comparisons even if they offered same-day delivery. Ran or rather walked quickly over to Staples, although Best Buy would have been okay too, and found they had 3 and 4 TB external drives, some major brand or other, for almost the same price (at least they did that day, it was more like $140 though). It's been hooked up to a server and performing its function just fine so far.