Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 3:51 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Need help moving saved games from C drive to D drive
*This is a repost, I posted this once before however I wasn't getting responses and I realized it was in the wrong area to be asking this question, Ooops*

I'm literally losing patience with this damn computer, I currently have a C drive that has 119 GB and 117 of it is already been used thanks to sims 2, sims 3, sims 4, and SimCity and the mods and CC I have on them, however, my D drive has 911 GB on it, I originally installed my game on D drive through the custom install options however the EA Games, Electronic Arts, and SimCity files are all on C drive, this has been no problem for me recently until I was in the middle of a let's play video for the Sims 2 and it crashed it with a full storage alert and said that running the game under full storage will cause bad game preformance, I am completely stuck and at this point I am inches away from an anxiety attack (which I haven't had in months). I am running Windows 10 on an MSI gaming series laptop with the steelseries rainbow keyboard I am looking for help!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 3:54 AM
First, take deep breaths. Don't get yourself into a panic attack. They're not fun.

Luckily for you, symlinks are a thing. It creates a virtual copy of the folder in the original location, while the actual files are on your D drive. You can do it without the help of a program, but that requires command-line and is tricky enough that even I don't attempt it. However, here's a program I just tested:
http://klocmansoftware.weebly.com/symlink-helper.html

Straightforward enough. Install the program and open it. Go into Options and add a new target folder (e.g. D:\Sims 2 Stuff\).
Grab the path of the folder you want to move (e.g. C:\Users\[User]\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\) in the first box. Pick the folder from the drop-down menu and enter a folder name (e.g. Saves). Press move. All your files will appear in the new folder (e.g. D:\Sims 2 Stuff\Saves), but as you have the symlink in the original location, it'll run without a hitch. I know this because I use symlinks to move my savegame folder to the D drive.

If you have trouble following these instructions post again and I'll do my best to help.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 4:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister
First, take deep breaths. Don't get yourself into a panic attack. They're not fun.

Luckily for you, symlinks are a thing. It creates a virtual copy of the folder in the original location, while the actual files are on your D drive. You can do it without the help of a program, but that requires command-line and is tricky enough that even I don't attempt it. However, here's a program I just tested:
http://klocmansoftware.weebly.com/symlink-helper.html

Straightforward enough. Install the program and open it. Go into Options and add a new target folder (e.g. D:\Sims 2 Stuff\).
Grab the path of the folder you want to move (e.g. C:\Users\[User]\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\) in the first box. Pick the folder from the drop-down menu and enter a folder name (e.g. Saves). Press move. All your files will appear in the new folder (e.g. D:\Sims 2 Stuff\Saves), but as you have the symlink in the original location, it'll run without a hitch. I know this because I use symlinks to move my savegame folder to the D drive.

If you have trouble following these instructions post again and I'll do my best to help.

Will this also work with moving Sims 4, Sims 3, and SimCity?
Mad Poster
#4 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 4:35 AM
Yup. Works with any folder.

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 6:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister
Yup. Works with any folder.

Sorry that I keep bugging you with this but if I just move the EA Games and the Electronic Arts folders will it still work or should I just move the sims 2, sims 3, etc into the file?

If this is true and I just put saves in will everything else follow or will I have to maually put everything in? I am a little confused
Mad Poster
#6 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 7:24 AM
Both ways will work - personally, I like to move each folder seperately, as I'm a bit finicky about how I structure my folders, but moving the entire EA Games or Electronic Arts folder will work just as well and probably be quicker. All the subfolders will be moved.

Née whiterider
retired moderator
#7 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 11:07 AM
Symlinks are great but they won't necessarily work in every situation - I, for example, couldn't get TS2 to follow a symlink on my old Windows 8 laptop. So try it, but don't freak out too much if it doesn't work for every case.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.