Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Mar 2013 at 6:07 PM Last edited by jones7659 : 14th Jun 2013 at 11:10 PM.
Default Veronaville Home Makeover Contest- We are finished!

Qualifications to Host:

Hosted Pleasantview Home Makeover contest and finished fourth place in Phaenoh's Sims 2 Scrapbooking contest

Concept:

This is the second cycle of the Base Game 'hood makeovers. There are four families moving to Veronaville. You will redecorate a home for each family, meeting their needs, within their budget.

Rules:

Each round, including the application, you will need to post up to 10 pictures of the house. One must be a front view. And there must also be a top view of each floor. You must also include a shot of the lot value, this can be cut and pasted onto the front picture if you wish. After those are taken care of it's up to you to decided what best showcases your home.
  • This is a Sims 2 only contest.
  • Only free custom content is allowed.
  • Pictures should be large and clear. Within the MTS Guidelines
  • Photoshopping is only allowed for the purposes of enhancement, i.e. sharpening image.
  • Walls may not be added or removed.
  • Doors and windows may be replaced, but not completely removed or moved to a different spot. If you remove a one-tile window, you must put a different one-tile in it's place, etc.
  • You may not move stairs. They may be swapped out, but must remain in the same place. You may not add stairs.
  • You may add or remove any fencing.
  • You may not add or remove foundation or decking.
  • You may change the texture of the roof, but nothing else, i.e. pitch, shape .
  • Pools are allowed.
  • You may edit the terrain.
  • Driveways are allowed, garages are not.
  • Half-walls are allowed.
  • You may not move or remove an existing fireplace. You may add one.

Requirements:
Having participated in the first cycle (Pleasantview) is NOT a requirement New contestants welcome!

• Any skill level is welcome. It's a good chance to work on your decorating skills
  • A basic knowledge of taking good in-game photos.
  • Judges will be expected to have their scores in within 48 hours.

Applications: Feedback

For the application, you will need to redecorate the house at 26 Via Veronaville. I will attach a download for each lot for those who no longer have them as they were in your game. For the application you do NOT choose one of the families. Just redo it however you want, there is however still a budget of 60,000.

Judges Application: I need 3 judges , and would like to have an emergency judge as well. I will be an emergency judge, but would prefer to have someone else. If you would like to judge, please post a picture of the exterior, and one interior room, of your choosing. Simply to show your own decorating skill.

Round 1-Is Over Scores
You will redecorate the house at 45 Bard Boulevard.

Round 2-Is Over Scores
The lot for this round is 50 Poet Place.

Round 3 -Is Over Scores
The lot for this round is a bin house. Tiny Tudor.

Round 4 - Is Over Scores
The lot for this round is 100 Via Veronaville.

Timeline

Every round will last for 2 week. You will lose 1 pt per day past the deadline for late submissions. Extensions may be given if you PM me with a valid reason for needing it.

Application round is closed. We are at full capacity

Judges

Judge 1AdonisPluto
Judge 2porkypine
Judge 3TheDeadSim
Emergency Judge-

Scoring

There are 3 sections scored by each individual judge.

Overall Design 10pts : Is the overall design appealing? Do the colors/patterns chosen compliment each other nicely? Does the design flow well?
* This is a rather subjective part of scoring. But don't let it intimidate you. Even if your decorating style isn't to the personal taste of a judge, as long as you have executed it well, you will still score well.

Family Needs 10pts : Does the home suit the family you chose? Does it seem like a home the chosen family would like to live in? Are there enough beds/chairs etc. for the family?

Furniture/Room Placement 10pts : Does the way the furniture is placed make sense? Does it allow for good movement throughout? Does the room placement make sense? (i.e. tiny room as bedroom with a large room for bathroom wouldn't make sense.)

There are 2 sections that are looked at by each judge, but only scored once.

Budget 10pts : Is the TOTAL LOT VALUE within the chosen families budget? (-1 pt for every 2,500 over, upto 10 pts)

Structural Integrity 40 pts : There are 7 subsections to this section-
  • Walls 10 pts : -2pts for the first wall section added or removed, -1 pt for each additional section, upto 10 pts.
  • Doors 5pts : -1pt for each door removed, added or moved, upto 5 pts.
  • Windows 5pts : -1pt for each window removed, added or moved, upto 5 pts.
  • Foundation 5pts : -2pts for the first foundation section added or removed, -1 pt for each additional section, upto 5 pts.
  • Roof 5pts : -5 pts for any change to the roof other than texture.
  • Fireplace : -5 pts for moved or removed fireplace.
  • Stairs 5pts : -3 pts for moving the original stairs from their position, -2 pts for adding additional stairs up to 5 pts.

*Each family will also have a bonus room. It's completely optional. It is worth 5 pts if you choose to give them the room.*

Meet the Families

The Williams Family : Budget - 65,000 - Linda and Joe are suffering from empty nest syndrome. The last of their 5 children has just moved out. So they have decided they really have no need for a big house anymore. Over the years, they have collected quite a bit of stuff, so they need lots of storage/display space (bookshelves, dressers, cabinets, etc.). They hate modern style furnishings. BONUS They would still like to have a guest room, for when the kids come to visit.

The Miller Family : Budget - 58,000 - Joanne and Larry are celebrating their one year anniversary with a new home. They were high school sweethearts. He was captain of the football team, she was a cheerleader. They are still very active and they still like their school colors, red and gold. They don't have a whole lot of money, but they have love. BONUS They have been thinking about starting their family. Maybe if you build it, they will come

The Johnson Family : Budget - 70,000 - Stacie, Brian and the twins, Hannah and Teresa (aged 9) love the beach. They can't afford to move to the shore, so they'd like to bring the beach to their home. BONUS The twins don't mind sharing a room, BUT they would LOVE to have their own bathroom (their parents would love it too.) *Just so there's no confusion, I mean one full bath for the girls and one full bath for the parents. Each twin does not need their own individual bathroom.

The Winters Family : Budget - 70,000 - Lara and Josh have recently acquired a roommate, Josh's mother Edna. Edna and Lara don't always get along, but they are trying to for Josh. Edna just can't live by herself anymore. She doesn't really like only having a bedroom to herself. And her country taste clashes with Lara's more contemporary style. BONUS Edna would like to have her own sitting room.

We have 20! We are full! :D
ContestantRound 1ScoreRound 2ScoreRound 3ScoreRound 4ScoreTotal Score
joandsarah77-applicationMiller135Winters135.5Williams139Johnson138547.5
RowenaObsidian - applicationWilliams138Winters138Johnson140Miller137555
IfIWereAZombie - applicationMiller127.5dropped out-----127.5
aaries16 - applicationWinters130Johnson139Williams140Miller137546
naiyasfury - applicationWilliams131dropped out-----131
lipe2k - applicationMiller131.5Johnson136Winters137Williams136540.4
randomlyyellstuff - applicationWilliams137Winters139.5Johnson138Miller139553.5
karen lorraine - applicationWilliams139Winters141Johnson140Miller139559
NatteryakToad - applicationWilliams129.5Winters135Johnson134Miller137535.5
Sunbee - applicationno entry-------0
HugeLunatic - applicationWilliams139Winters141.5Johnson140.5Miller141562
Hencing - applicationWilliams137Winters142Johnson139Miller140558
SimMegaptera - applicationno entry-------0
purplegopher - applicationWilliams135Winters138Miller139Johnson140.5552.5
w_sims - applicationWilliams135Winters141.5Johnson137--413.5
Croutonian - applicationWilliams138dropped out-----138
tcbandie10 - applicationWinters132dropped out-----132
Sparklycookie - applicationMiller135.5dropped out-----135.5
Raiya44 - applicationMiller135Winters140Johnson142Williams140557
Phaenoh - applicationWilliams138Winters140Johnson132Miller141551

Stay tuned for Strangetown in a few months!
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  26 Via Veronaville.zip (818.5 KB, 117 downloads) - View custom content
Description: BASE GAME application lot
File Type: zip  45 Bard Boulevard.zip (1.79 MB, 86 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Round 1 lot
File Type: zip  50 Poet Place.zip (1.88 MB, 57 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Round 2 lot
File Type: zip  Tidy Tudor.zip (940.8 KB, 59 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Round 3 lot
Advertisement
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
#2 Old 12th Mar 2013 at 6:13 PM
Contest Approved
  • Do not post replies and/or contest applications before the contest host has checked in on this thread, or your post will be deleted.
  • DO NOT WRITE USELESS POSTS like "Hey cool contest, I think I might join." Reserve type posts and useless posts about coming back with an application will be deleted.

Heaven Sims | Avendale Legacy
"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 12th Mar 2013 at 8:45 PM
Here we go again! Let the Veronaville makeovers begin!
Helptato
#4 Old 12th Mar 2013 at 10:43 PM
Ooh! I'll join, sounds great!

Emma!

Simblr
[url=https://peanutbuttersandwich.dreamwidth.org/Dreamwidth[/url]
Test Subject
#5 Old 13th Mar 2013 at 2:10 AM Last edited by PFJL1994 : 13th Mar 2013 at 3:35 AM. Reason: Needed to add something.
I also would like to join this contest. I will be re-installing The Sims 2 tonight and I will get to work on it. It sounds fun!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 13th Mar 2013 at 2:26 AM
Ohh sign me up! Guess I have to get the house done and pictures up first though. $60,000 will be a lot easier to work with then the $40,000 we had in the last contest.
Thank you for uploading the house jones otherwise I'd have to restore Veronaville as I don't have it any more. This should be interesting as I don't have any idea what the houses there are like except they are all have somewhat medieval wall cladding.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#7 Old 13th Mar 2013 at 2:54 AM
I had to up the budgets jo, the base price of the lots is higher in Veronaville. I think there's still a little more money to play with than last time, but not as much as it may seem
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 13th Mar 2013 at 3:07 AM
Well thanks for that jones! Humph.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#9 Old 13th Mar 2013 at 3:50 AM
I don't think I've ever played or made over that hood! lol This will definitely be a challenge. Guess I'd better hurry up and finish my makeover from another site.
Field Researcher
#10 Old 13th Mar 2013 at 5:23 AM
Having messed around with the house for a few hours tonight, I can confirm that the budget is indeed not overly generous lol all part of the challenge.

I'm happy with what I've done with the exterior, but struggling to be decisive about the inside! Time to sleep on it I think, I'm yawning too much to concentrate on it...

Oh, and God bless Eaxis and their love of two-doored bathrooms - how could a sim possibly survive with having to walk a couple more steps!

Mad Poster
#11 Old 13th Mar 2013 at 6:58 AM
Would it be acceptable to replace two side-by-side one tile windows with a single two tile window? So that the same wall sections are windowed?

I'm thinking about trying this--the deadlines make me nervous but two weeks should be doable since the walls don't move.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Echezzman Nwokeoma
staff: senior moderator
#12 Old 13th Mar 2013 at 8:18 AM Last edited by AdonisPluto : 13th Mar 2013 at 8:29 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Sunbee
Would it be acceptable to replace two side-by-side one tile windows with a single two tile window? So that the same wall sections are windowed?

I'm thinking about trying this--the deadlines make me nervous but two weeks should be doable since the walls don't move.

Hey Sunbee the 6th point on the rule says Doors and windows may be replaced, but not completely removed or moved to a different spot. If you remove a one-tile window, you must put a different one-tile in it's place, etc. .

So i believe the answer to your question is you are not allowed to do it. Its 1 tile for 1 tile, 2 tile for 2 tile and they need o be in the same position where the original one was. You are allowed to use a bigger or smaller one to replace the original as long as they are the same tile with as the original. So anything outside of this is contradictory to the rule

EDIT-Applying to be a Judge
Okay let me open the judges application by applying to be one.
Screenshots
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 13th Mar 2013 at 1:38 PM
You can but you lose points.

~Call me Jo~
Inventor
#14 Old 13th Mar 2013 at 3:39 PM
I have a question: By a budget of 60K, do you mean that the player starts with 60K and can't spend more than that or that the house can't be worth more than 60K at the end?

If it's the first, would it work if I made a sim, used familyfunds to give him exactly 60K, and used that as the budget?

The Darkdusk Legacy has ended. Read the whole thing!
The Nightmagic Legacy has ended. Read the whole thing!
Last of Her Kind has ended thanks to a dead computer.
Field Researcher
#15 Old 13th Mar 2013 at 3:44 PM
Your answer would lie within the scoring section:
Quote:
Budget 10pts : Is the TOTAL LOT VALUE within the chosen families budget?

So you'll want to keep checking the lot value whilst you work away in build/buy mode

Oh, and Sunbee's question about windows is a good one actually, cos in real life you wouldn't really have 2 windows right next to each other but not joined up to make a bigger one... In the game it can look kinda messy and daft when there's more than one window immediately adjacent. Up to Jones though!

If it's not allowed and you want to change them to use the madeover version in your gameplay, there's nothing stopping you changing them round after you've taken the pics and submitted your entry

Inventor
#16 Old 13th Mar 2013 at 4:04 PM
Thanks for the clarification.

The Darkdusk Legacy has ended. Read the whole thing!
The Nightmagic Legacy has ended. Read the whole thing!
Last of Her Kind has ended thanks to a dead computer.
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#17 Old 13th Mar 2013 at 5:00 PM Last edited by jones7659 : 13th Mar 2013 at 5:23 PM. Reason: typo :facepalm:
Sunbee and Duckie, everyone has already answered your questions correctly. So I'm just backing them up If it's a 1 tile to start with, it has to stay a one tile. And the budget is for the total lot value. You could still make the family with the budget and move them in, as long as you use the cheat while they are still in the bin. That way the base price of the lot would come out of the budget too.

And we have our first judge! Welcome aboard Adonis! Nice pics (Except those creepy badgers on the wall...lol...I've always thought the Badger Family Portraits were creepy)

I can't wait to see those redos!
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#18 Old 13th Mar 2013 at 5:09 PM
I'm really happy to see cycle 2 up and running. I've got a lot of things on my plate at the moment, but I'll see if I can't squeeze this in too. I really loved the last one and being your 'trouble maker' was all the more fun. My own Veronaville is my medieval neighborhood, so maybe I'll try to follow the rules while keeping to my theme. I could always use more peasants!
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#19 Old 13th Mar 2013 at 5:58 PM
Veronaville is the obvious choice to adapt to medieval Might be a bit difficult to bring the beach to the Johnsons while keeping it medieval, but if you wanna give it a shot, I'd love to see what you come up with :D
Helptato
#20 Old 13th Mar 2013 at 9:45 PM
Can we change the function of a room? The downstairs bathroom is huge!

Emma!

Simblr
[url=https://peanutbuttersandwich.dreamwidth.org/Dreamwidth[/url]
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#21 Old 13th Mar 2013 at 10:30 PM
I did in the last contest - turned one of the bathrooms into a kitchen.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#22 Old 13th Mar 2013 at 10:38 PM
Yes you can, I changed some rooms around in the last contest, I think everyone did. This time I'm going with the layout as it is and I only have one room left to decorate!

~Call me Jo~
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#23 Old 13th Mar 2013 at 10:45 PM Last edited by porkypine : 14th Mar 2013 at 3:43 AM.
Hello.

Since I won't have time to actually make something for this, I'd like to try my hand at being a judge. oh. Ok, I'll pop the lot in tonight and get some pics for you.. But I think my personal decorating taste is still 'early college eclectic.' .... now Landscaping is another story.. I love my simmies for that... I get to plan that fabulous garden that won't grow in a real life desert!

P.S>

Jones! I tried to install this game on my old computer which is just Base game and uni and it bombed. Which EPs does your lot require?

Edit: I took it to my game computer and just found 26 Verona which I had not changed. Anyway my SIms2 game is stripped of CC except for the stuff I'm making for multicultural so my sample is game only decor. Here's the pics. Took about an hour but I need to get back to my multicultural project. 3 pics. Living/family/kitchen and front
Screenshots
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#24 Old 13th Mar 2013 at 11:23 PM
Everyone is right, you can change the function of any room you like.

Porky, it shouldn't require any, but your exterior and interior shots don't have to be from this lot. Any house you've ever done is fine. Both pics don't even have to be from the same house.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#25 Old 14th Mar 2013 at 1:04 AM Last edited by joandsarah77 : 14th Mar 2013 at 1:28 AM.
porkypine, Veronaville is a base hood.

Going to load up and finish off the makeover. If I can stop downloading floors...

~Call me Jo~

Page 1 of 33