Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Sep 2012 at 9:23 PM Last edited by jones7659 : 11th Jan 2013 at 7:42 PM.
Default Pleasantview Home Makeover Contest-Finished

Qualifications to Host:

Participant in w_sims' Foundations for Families contest and finished fourth place in Phaenoh's Sims 2 Scrapbooking contest

Concept:

There are four families moving to Pleasantview. You will redecorate a home for each family, meeting their needs, within their budget. The budget is for the total lot value, the cost of the lot comes out of the budget.

Rules:

Each round, including the application, you will need to post up to 8 pictures of the house. One must be a front view In a corner of the front picture, you must add a small shot of the lot info so we can make sure you are with in the budget. Doesn't have to be the whole info box, just the lot value. No other combined pictures though. And there must also be a top view of each floor. After those are taken care of it's up to you to decided what best showcases your home.

Example of front view with lot info

• This is a Sims 2 only contest.
  • Only free custom content or store content is allowed.
  • Pictures should be large and clear. Within the MTS Guidelines
  • Photoshopping is only allowed to sharpen the image, adjust levels (brightness/contrast) or to crop, no other photoshopping.
  • Walls may not be added or removed.
  • Doors and windows may be replaced, but not completely removed or moved to a different spot. If you remove a one-tile window, you must put a different one-tile in it's place, etc.
  • You may add or remove any fencing. Half walls are also permitted.
  • You may not add or remove foundation or decking. You may swap decking for regular foundation as long as it maintains it's original shape.
  • You may add a patio, with floor tiles or terrain paint, and paths or walkways. Just no new decks.
  • Roof structure may not be changed. You may retexture.
  • No new stairs. Existing stairs may be swapped out, like doors and windows.
  • You may build an external greenhouse, as long as it uses the actual greenhouse walls from Seasons and is used solely for a garden. No building a greenhouse for extra living space.

Requirements:
  • Any skill level is welcome. It's a good chance to work on your decorating skills
  • A basic knowledge of taking good in-game photos.
  • Judges will be expected to have their scores in within 72 hours.

Applications:
Application Feedback

Round 1
Is finished! Scores and feedback pt 1 feedback pt 2

Round 2
is finished! SCORES!

Round 3
is finished! SCORES!

Round 4
is finished! Scores!

Final Scores
ContestantRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Total
lipe2k163167164164658
HugeLunatic166169166158659
joandsarah77154161167166648
GlorianaGlowbee163161166165655
esmeiolanthe151162162162637
Lucia970142139--281
Liv157159173172661
Hencing166152171166655
sharill63134157164159614
Phaenoh159160171170660
MAB-2000156162151-469
RowenaLupin158155153151617
kayls42157153155154619
hogwartsjedi159155170165650
trin250146154163163626
Shaundak21141149159164613
lauratje86153163168-484
karen lorraine159158160164641
godspeed114133143135525
Evairance133140154155582

Timeline

Every round will last for two weeks. Extensions may be given if you PM me with a valid reason for needing it. Late submissions will not be disqualified. 1 point per day of lateness will be docked. If you miss 2 entire rounds you will be disqualified.

Scoring

There will be three parts to scoring, for a possible total of 60 pts.

Overall Design: 20 pts possible total
  • Is the design appealing? 10 pts
  • Does the way the furniture is placed make sense and allow for good movement through the home? 10 pts

Family's Needs: 25 pts possible total
  • Is this a home the family would like to live in? 15 pts
  • Is this home with in the family's budget? 10 pts

Structural Integrity: 15 pts possible total
  • Are there no walls added or removed? 5 pts (-3pts for first wall added or remover, -1 for each one after)
  • Are there still doors and windows where there were originally? 5 pts
  • Is the foundation/decking the same as it originally was? 5 pts

Judges

Judge 1Judge 2Judge 3Emergency Judge
jones7659CroutonianaUserNameSelly_2009

ouse, I've attached it for download
Meet the Families
It's up to you which family you want to use for each round. Choose wisely!

The Gardener Family: Rose loves plants. She is happy and easy going. Not too concerned with material things, she's happy as long as she's surrounded with flowers. Budget: 40,000

The Mason Family: Bill and his 10 year old daughter Elise have been on their own for a year now. They still miss Ann, but have decided it's time to move away from all the painful memories. Bill's never been very good at decorating and wants to make sure the house feels like a home. Elise loves purple and butterflies. Budget: 50,000

The Wilson Family: Sarah and Tom, and little Daniel have out-grown their old home. Now that Daniel is a toddler they just need more space than their one bedroom apartment. Sarah loves country decor. They would love to have a nice yard because the entire family enjoys spending time outside. Budget: 60,000

The Jones Family: Steve is a work-a-holic. But all work and no play make Steve a dull guy. So he needs a place where, when he has the time, he can relax and let loose. He likes a simple, yet tasteful look. Budget 40,000

We are full up! Hope we judges can manage all 20 of you

Round 1Round 2Round 3Round 4
lipe2k - applicationGardenerMasonJonesWilson
HugeLunatic - applicationJonesGardenerMasonWilson
joandsarah77 - applicationJonesGardenerMasonWilson
GlorianaGlowbee - applicationJonesGardenerWilsonMason
esmeiolanthe - applicationJonesGardenerWilsonMason
Lucia940 - applicationMasonJonesdropped out-
Liv - applicationJonesGardenerWilsonMason
Hencing - applicationGardenerJonesMasonWilson
sharill63 - applicationJonesGardenerMasonWilson
Phaenoh - applicationJonesGardenerMasonWilson
MAB-2000 - applicationJonesGardenerWilsonlink
RowenaLupin - applicationGardenerJonesMasonWilson
kayls42 - applicationJonesMasonGardenerWilson
hogwartsjedi - applictaionGardenerJonesMasonWilson
trin250 - applicationJonesGardenerMasonWilson
Shaundak21 - applicationGardenerJonesMasonWilson
lauratje86 - applicationJonesGardenerWilsonlink
karen lorraine - applicationJonesGardenerMasonWilson
godspeed - applicationMasonGardenerJonesWilson
Evairance - applicationMasonWilsonJonesMason

Most of all...HAVE FUN!!
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: 7z  95 Woodland Drive.7z (349.3 KB, 183 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Application Lot
File Type: 7z  30 Lakeside Drive.7z (354.7 KB, 123 downloads) - View custom content
Description: ROUND ONE!!
File Type: 7z  35 Woodland Drive.7z (309.4 KB, 113 downloads) - View custom content
Description: ROUND TWO!!!
File Type: 7z  225 Main Street.7z (440.3 KB, 135 downloads) - View custom content
Description: ROUND THREE!!!
File Type: 7z  Just Right - 2BR 1BAclean.7z (405.2 KB, 101 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Round Four, cleaned
Advertisement
The other one
#2 Old 29th Sep 2012 at 9:25 PM
Contest Approved
  • Do not post replies and/or contest applications before the contest host has checked in on this thread, or your post will be deleted.
  • DO NOT WRITE USELESS POSTS like "Hey cool contest, I think I might join." Reserve type posts and useless posts about coming back with an application will be deleted.
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 29th Sep 2012 at 10:34 PM Last edited by jones7659 : 29th Sep 2012 at 11:27 PM.
I'm checking in! Let's get some contestants! (and judges!) :D

I figure it's only fair that I "apply" to be a judge
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#4 Old 29th Sep 2012 at 11:54 PM
Is there any chance you might be able to extract/package and upload the properties you want contestants to renovate? I for one no longer have many of the original Pleasantview houses as they've either been renovated or bulldozed. Even if they've not been altered (much) they generally have sims living in them already. It would be useful to be able to place the original lots in my imaginatively named Contest Hood (guess what I use it for!) and renovate them there :-)
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 30th Sep 2012 at 12:02 AM Last edited by jones7659 : 30th Sep 2012 at 12:20 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by lauratje86
Is there any chance you might be able to extract/package and upload the properties you want contestants to renovate? I for one no longer have many of the original Pleasantview houses as they've either been renovated or bulldozed. Even if they've not been altered (much) they generally have sims living in them already. It would be useful to be able to place the original lots in my imaginatively named Contest Hood (guess what I use it for!) and renovate them there :-)

I thought that might happen, I certainly can and will do shortly

*EDIT* Done! (In the original post)
Mad Poster
#6 Old 30th Sep 2012 at 12:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jones7659
I thought that might happen, I certainly can and will do shortly

*EDIT* Done! (In the original post)

Thank you! :-)
Test Subject
#7 Old 30th Sep 2012 at 3:41 AM
What is the situation on the roofs? Can they be modified entirely, or will they be like walls where you can only change the roof texture?
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#8 Old 30th Sep 2012 at 3:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Juliana19285
What is the situation on the roofs? Can they be modified entirely, or will they be like walls where you can only change the roof texture?

I had thought about that one, but forgot to put it in the rules. Just the texture. If it were real life, it would cost a lot of money to restructure a roof, so I don't think it would be in the budget, lol.
#9 Old 30th Sep 2012 at 9:14 PM
I hope the following isn't a silly question, I'm a complete contest n00b:

Will I be required to provide lists of custom content I use (prices and such) and/or info on where to find the items for download? If yes, is there an example somewhere of how to format/include that list with my application pics?

Thanks in advance :D

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you, amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#10 Old 30th Sep 2012 at 11:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GlorianaGlowbee
I hope the following isn't a silly question, I'm a complete contest n00b:

Will I be required to provide lists of custom content I use (prices and such) and/or info on where to find the items for download? If yes, is there an example somewhere of how to format/include that list with my application pics?

Thanks in advance :D

No, that's not necessary. It's not an upload, just pictures.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 1st Oct 2012 at 3:40 PM
This looks like fun! I'm sure going to make something tonight.

One question: no walls can be added, but are external greenhouses allowed?
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#12 Old 1st Oct 2012 at 5:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lipe2k
This looks like fun! I'm sure going to make something tonight.

One question: no walls can be added, but are external greenhouses allowed?

As long as it is with the actual greenhouse walls and has nothing but a garden in it (like no using it for the TV room or something, lol).
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#13 Old 1st Oct 2012 at 5:54 PM
While I wish we could change the roofs, I'm still gonna give this a go!

So the application round isn't for one of the four families listed and not considered one of the four rounds, right?
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#14 Old 1st Oct 2012 at 6:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
While I wish we could change the roofs, I'm still gonna give this a go!

So the application round isn't for one of the four families listed and not considered one of the four rounds, right?

Right. No points, just a warm up. Just a generic couple with one child.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 3rd Oct 2012 at 12:36 AM
Default Application - Lipe2k
Guess I'll be the first applicant I've already done because the next two weeks will be a bit busy to me, so there it goes:

Yeah, 9 simoleons left, I did it

Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#16 Old 3rd Oct 2012 at 1:22 AM
And we have our first contestant! lipe2k kicks it off with an awesome entry! Beautiful Now we just need 9 more contestants and a few judges!!! Come on you know you want to! :p
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#18 Old 3rd Oct 2012 at 10:09 AM
Two questions. Do half walls count as adding walls? And is it okay for a chimney to alter the roof?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#19 Old 3rd Oct 2012 at 5:08 PM
We have 2! HugeLunatic has submitted another beautiful entry! Doesn't hurt anything right now, since it's not scored, but you did go over the budget HL. But it is a beautiful house!

And to joandsarah77 I use half walls as fencing a lot, so I'll allow them. And a chimney is fine because while it does technically alter the roof, it doesn't change the shape of it, just adds a hole
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#20 Old 3rd Oct 2012 at 5:21 PM
Um..budget was 35,000. Original cost of house was 14,222, with a budget of 35,000 for the remodel my total house value can be up to 49,222.

I think I've misunderstood how you're using the term "budget". I was thinking the "budget" was the cost of the remodel and not the whole value of the lot, since we are doing a makeover of an existing lot.
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#21 Old 3rd Oct 2012 at 5:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
Um..budget was 35,000. Original cost of house was 14,222, with a budget of 35,000 for the remodel my total house value can be up to 49,222.

I think I've misunderstood how you're using the term "budget". I was thinking the "budget" was the cost of the remodel and not the whole value of the lot, since we are doing a makeover of an existing lot.

Yeah, I'll clarify it in the rules. I meant budget for total lot value. Since these familys are just moving in, their budget is for house and remodel. This is why the application is just for fun, so we can iron out the kinks
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 3rd Oct 2012 at 7:06 PM
Hi! These two first makeovers are excellent! Is it possible for lipe2k and for HugeLunatic to upload them here, please? Thank you! :D
#23 Old 3rd Oct 2012 at 10:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jones7659
Yeah, I'll clarify it in the rules. I meant budget for total lot value. Since these familys are just moving in, their budget is for house and remodel. This is why the application is just for fun, so we can iron out the kinks

Oh man, I'm still confused now. So if the initial lot value is $14,222 and we're taking the lot value up to $35,000, the budget for renovations is actually $20,778? We're aiming to bring the total lot value up to $35,000?

Sorry I'm a lame brain over here, just want to be absolutely sure. Cheers :-)

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you, amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#24 Old 3rd Oct 2012 at 11:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GlorianaGlowbee
Oh man, I'm still confused now. So if the initial lot value is $14,222 and we're taking the lot value up to $35,000, the budget for renovations is actually $20,778? We're aiming to bring the total lot value up to $35,000?

Sorry I'm a lame brain over here, just want to be absolutely sure. Cheers :-)

You've got it. The total lot value should be 35,000 or less.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#25 Old 4th Oct 2012 at 6:37 AM Last edited by joandsarah77 : 4th Oct 2012 at 9:51 AM.
For those of who aren't very good at photoshopping can we put up a separate cropped screen shot of the amount interfacing showing? Hope so as here's my entry.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~

Page 1 of 45