Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#701 Old 25th Apr 2008 at 4:18 PM
Hi IrishGrace and Kawaiimeg.
Sorry my update took longer than I promised LOL. Real life has this annoying way of interfering. I'm going to be working on this all day while I wait for the FedEx man. Lanie's new thread will be up soon. I'm looking forward to what you think of her new look.
P.S. I added an n to Trent's last name and will be changing it in the other chapters. Both spellings are correct, but I get sick of the red outlines under his name when I use my word processor.
Advertisement
Instructor
Original Poster
#702 Old 25th Apr 2008 at 4:25 PM
Default The Break Up Part 1
‘Maybe you better go upstairs to your room and play for awhile.’ Trent told me, as he got up from the couch. ‘Hopefully, this won’t take long and I can get Helen to see reason.’
I didn’t think it was Helen that needed to be the one to give in. I had no clue what a burlesque dancer was, but if my Uncle seemed to think Helen should play the part, then it had to be all right.
Making a note to look up the term or ask my Uncle later, I scooped up Belle and headed for the stairs.

I paused by the couch in the TV room. I promised myself I wouldn’t eavesdrop anymore, but I just couldn’t bring myself to go on to my room.

‘Helen, I was just about to call you. Come in dear, and sit by the fireplace. You have to be freezing to death in that short dress. I can never understand why you girls insist on wearing those damn micro minis in the dead of winter.’
‘We’re not here to discuss my wife’s dress.’ Reginald the dumb loud hothead, snapped at him. ‘We’re here to discuss her career and the changes you are going to have to make if you want to continue to represent her.’

‘My husband is right.’ Helen’s voice was icy. ‘You have a lot of explaining to do, Trent Thornton.’
‘I take it you haven’t signed on with Newman yet.’
‘Don’t sound so damned smug and pleased with yourself Thornton.’
Did Reginald always have to yell to get his point across?
‘I’ve been trying to talk Helen into ditching your a$$ all morning. You should remember Helen’s a free agent. She can go to anyone she pleases. Why she even wants to give your sorry lying butt another chance is beyond me. I say once a liar always a liar.’
He also such a common way of speaking. I hated Reginald with every fiber of my being.
‘Ya know Thornton I was actually starting to trust you. I was beginning to think I had you pegged all wrong. You even had me starting to doubt Dex. To think I was going to abandon the only person in SimCity beside Helen who gives a shift about me. Dex has been telling the truth all along.’
‘If you can keep quiet for just one second, I will explain myself to your wife.’
‘Great, I can’t wait to see you weasel your way out of this one, Thornton. There’s all kinds of proof that you have been holding out on Helen now, so don’t start with it’s all a big lie that Dex has cooked up.’
I seriously wanted to go back downstairs and kick Reginald again.

‘Helen.’ Trent’s tone was appealing. ‘I know your angry that I didn’t come forth with the Gypsy Girl script....’
‘Don’t forget Where the Boys Are At and The Stefford Neighborhood Wives’ Reginald reminded him. ‘I have a whole list in my pocket that Dex and a few others have sent your way that you’ve turned down. Funny, Helen never heard of any of them.’
‘Does he has an off switch?’ Trent asked Helen.

‘I’m angry at you too, Trent. Why bother to tell me that I have any say over my career when I don’t? You’re the last person I ever thought would lie to me about anything.’
‘Helen, I didn’t see it as lying, I just didn’t want to bother you with the trash. You pay me to promote your career the best I can and that is precisely what I was doing. I have to consider your reputation as well as how much money or success a film may have. Your in a position where you have a lot of influence over young girls. My Lanie looks up to you too. You have a responsibility to them wether you like it or not.’
‘The reason I’m here is because in spite of everything I still love you Trent Thornton. It’s not all about business to me. When I looked at each project on the list Dex left us, I could come up with a Trent Thornton reason why you must have turned it down. I’ve been such an idiot, I know how you think and yet, I really had myself convinced that you finally regarded me as an adult.’

‘Helen,’ Trent sounded a bit choked up. ‘You have grown up, but there’s still so much you need to learn first. Not only about this business, but your personal choices as well.’
Why did I have the feeling that he glared at Reginald when he said this.
‘It really kills you doesn’t it Thornton, that Helen still married me even after all the low stunts you’ve pulled to keep us apart. I know you’re also responsible for the big dry spell I had for awhile there.’
‘I didn’t pull any low stunts as you put it. That’s Dex Newman’s department. I went to a private detective, whom incidently was suggested to me by Dex Newman himself. (I never mentioned that part to Remington for obvious reasons.) I ran into him at the club one afternoon while I was playing golf. He wasn’t a big fan of yours back then. It was apparent that the two of you had a falling out of some sort. Dex was the one who had you blacklisted. I always figured you double crossed him some how or like Remington told me, made him angry by telling off his son in public. I don’t think it was unreasonable of me to try and find out more about you. If I could do it all over, the only thing I would change would be that I’d have looked for my own detective in the Yellow Pages. Dex Newman has been playing both ends against the middle all along. I can tell by the stupid way your mouth is hanging open, that this is news to you.’
‘Well, I’m not surprised.’ Helen seethed. ‘That’s exactly why I’m here, Trent. I want to give you another chance, but there’s quite a few things we need to get straight first.’
‘Which is?’

Part 2 will be up as soon as I upload all my pics.
Forum Resident
#703 Old 25th Apr 2008 at 6:59 PM
Oh you do know how to write a cliffhanger don't you? LOL And now I'm coming up with a third possible breakup scenario, but I think it's highly unlikely... I'm just waiting to see if either of my original scenarios are the one you picked LOL
Instructor
Original Poster
#704 Old 25th Apr 2008 at 11:25 PM
Got called away from the computer, but I'm back. I'm dying to know what your theories are IrishGrace...I do know you might be surprised by what happens next...so here it is.
Instructor
Original Poster
#705 Old 25th Apr 2008 at 11:56 PM
Default The Break Up Part 2
‘Look at me. Really look at me. I’m not the silly empty headed eight year old you met at the Happy Burger Shack all those years ago. I’ve grown up.’
‘I never thought of you as empty headed. Where do you get this idea?’
‘You’ve given me great advice over the years. I wouldn’t even be in a show business career now, if it weren’t for you and I’ll always be grateful. However;you treat me like I’m some dumb bunny that can’t think or reason for myself. Sometimes it can be smothering.’
‘Bobbi, er...Helen, it’s not that I think your stupid when I give you advice and try to keep you from making mistakes. It’s because I’m older and have been through it all myself. I’m not telling you what to do.’
‘I try to tell myself you cling so much because Roberta has pretty much cut you out of her life except for Saturdays. Perhaps if you stop dictating to us who we should be and start accepting us for who we are, we’d both be much happier.’
‘I wasn’t aware that I did that.’ Trent’s tone was harsh and disbelieving.
‘You do. Keeping projects from me that didn’t suit your standards was another way for you to control me. I blindly followed your lead, but that changes today. While I appreciate and share many of your beliefs, acting is well...all about getting the chance to play a variety of different characters. Quite frankly, I’m sick and tired of playing the same type of role.’
Helen became enthusiastic and excited as she went on.
‘Dex left me the Gypsy Girl script. I spent all night reading it. It’s a wonderful story and I have to wonder if you actually read it. I want this part more than anything. It’s still open, though the producers are getting desperate to cast, since I haven’t agreed. Trent, I really was first choice and we are going to do this. Form here on out, I get to see every script that is offered to me. I also want you to honor your word that you will represent Reggie too. I know your mad at each other right now, but I think the two of you actually have more in common than you know.’
‘You certainly have a lot of demands.’ Trent sounded so cold. ‘After listening to Dex Newman, perhaps you think you can better manage your own career. I fully intend to show you every script in future, but I will not work on the Gypsy Girl project nor will I ever have any more to do with your low life husband.’
I thought everything Helen said was reasonable except the part about working with Reginald.
If I were my Uncle I’d say Trent needed a swift kick in the rump to jump start his brain.

‘What?!’ Reginald raged at him. ‘Are you totally mental Thornton? You should be kissing Helen’s a$$! There is nothing wrong with that script! It’s a rated G musical that the entire family can go see! Just because the word burlesque is in it doesn’t make it bad! It’s not like Helen really has to strip or do a nude scene. I also don’t believe you about Dex being the one who thought of the detective either. Sounds to me like your just trying to come up with any flimsy story you can cook up to make everyone still hate him. Face it, he’s been telling the truth all along and you’re the one who’s been lying. You’re lucky Helen still wants to have anything to do with you.’
‘I’m not so sure I do anymore. Reggie is not a low life! You act like you’ve done nothing wrong!’
‘Dex Newman couldn’t tell the truth if it were written out for him on a Teleprompter.’ Trent scoffed. ‘As for me, I really was wrong not to come forward with every offer, but the bottom line is that as your agent, the ultimate decision will always be mine, because that my dear, is what you pay me for.’

‘Helen why the hell are you even speaking to this self important, judgmental, full of himself has been? How can some one who sips Jack and Pepsi all day long, know what’s best for your career? He’s drinking now and it isn’t even ten o’clock yet? It really cracks me up Thornton how you think no one sees you spike your drinks. I think you’ve killed quite a few brain cells over the years. I’d be sore at Mansfield right now too, if I didn’t notice that he was just as stunned as everyone else, when Dex confronted you with the truth. Though Mansfield makes fun of me and probably hates me just as much as you do, I admire the guy. He’s hip, now, and is more of a success then you’ll ever be. I’ve often wondered what he sees in a washed up old lush like your-ACK!

‘It’s time to quit talking and listen for once!’ Trent’s voice was strange and scary. ‘I might be an old lush as you say, but I can still kick you’re a$$.’
‘Oh my God, Trent!’ Helen screamed. ‘Let him go!’
Was he choking Reginald?! All I can hear from him were these strange muffed sounds like he was having difficulty breathing.
‘Damn you Trent! Your crushing his wind pipe!’
Oh gosh! Oh gosh!

‘I would be doing the world a favor if I did.’ Trent shot at her. ‘I’ve put up with enough of the cheap shots and insults from someone who has a brain the size of a pea and the culture of a wild boor. He’s so beneath you Helen. What is it with you women when you choose men? I wonder what I’d find if I hired another detective. One that didn’t report to Newman first?’
A lot of rough squawking noises came from Reginald. I felt like I couldn’t breathe!
Why oh why did Uncle Remington leave the house?
‘Oh, and for the record, Harris, I quit Studio Town in my prime. Once my contract with Fairchild Studios came to an end, I walked away from at all. I’m no has been, but your friend Newman is a never was.’
‘Let him go damn you!’
SWACK!
I would later learn that it was Helen who hit Trent to set Reginald free.

Finding his voice once again, Reginald the hard head had to keep going.
Every word he rasped out sounded as painful to say, as it must have been for Trent to hear.
‘I’m so going to sue you for assault! It looks like you can’t bear to hear the truth! Dex told me that you dumped Mansfield when the studio put the heat on you to end the affair. In my book that’s being a low life! Your nothing but a big phony from your bogus marriage to Dagmar Valentine to pretending to have only Helen’s best interests at heart. You’re trying to mold my wife into your warped idea of what a woman should be or perhaps make her a replacement daughter for the one who really doesn’t want much to do with you anymore! Oh wait! Roberta isn’t even really yours! She was just part of the package to make you look straight!’
‘Reg!’ Helen tried to intervene. ‘This has all gotten out of hand! Trent I n-never t-told....’
Trent exploded in a sudden rage.
‘Get out! Both of you! I don't care where you go or what you do, as long as I don't have to see either one of you again!’
‘Trent, I....’
‘Leave.’
How could Trent be so cold to poor Helen. She was the only one who seemed to be talking sense.

Not even thinking I rushed down stairs to try and stop all the nonsense.
Helen was almost out the door, but Reginald hung back to shout a few bitter last words.
‘You won’t have to set eyes on us, Thornton, but you will be hearing from my lawyer!’
‘Helen!’ I shouted after her. ‘Don’t go!’
I almost made it to the door, but was seized and restrained by Trent.
‘Let her go, Lanie. It turns out Helen and her husband are not the type of people I want you to associate with.’
Disbelief and hurt from Trent’s words caused Helen to break down into tears.
‘I never what to see you again either Trent Thornton! Good-bye Lanie.’
I struggled to get loose, Trent’s hands on my shoulders felt like a steel trap.
‘Good luck, Kid.’ Reginald smirked at me. ‘It’s not going to be any picnic for you to be raised by that puritanical control freak. If you decide to be your own person and not follow his inane ideas of perfection, look out!’
With that Reginald banged the door behind him.

Little did I realise at the time that another chapter of my life had just slammed shut and another uncertain one was just beginning.......

This is the end of Lanie's childhood.
Elaine's Story (Teen Angst) will take up the story in her teen years.
It will be up soon!
EDIT-The first chapter is done and I'm shooting the pics now! It will be up soon even if I have to stay up all night. (No work tomorrow!)
Instructor
Original Poster
#706 Old 26th Apr 2008 at 12:09 AM
I know this story ends in a bad place, but this is where Lanie's childhood ends before I decided to make her life a three part story.
When I start the new thread, it will open in a better place and I will be quick in telling you what happened with Helen. (Though she and Reg will shift to back burner for awhile.)
Trent does have his issues and a bit of a dark side. Will he learn from losing Helen or will Roberta and/or Lanie also clash with his control freak side?
The new thread will be up soon. Promise!
P.S. I'm still going to be editing and making corrections to this story after it's in the completed section.
Instructor
#707 Old 26th Apr 2008 at 6:43 AM
D':

...how horrible!

I hope everything works out for everyone!
Forum Resident
#708 Old 26th Apr 2008 at 8:33 AM
THANK GOD! This was the break-up I could live with LOL I could see all this coming, except for the part about Trent attacking Reggie... though I do wonder what happened when Uncle Remy got home...

And can't wait to see what Lanie looks like as a teen!
Instructor
Original Poster
#709 Old 26th Apr 2008 at 4:51 PM
I tried to leave little hints along the way that Trent was not as perfect as he seemed to be. So I was praying no one would be too mad at me.
The really bad thing about Trent is that he keeps things bottled up inside playing the nice guy all of the time, so when he does lose it, it can be a scary thing to watch. Dex Newman gave Reg just enough information, knowing hot headed Reg would fling it in Trent's face at the right time. You can imagine Dex is really pleased with himself at this point. Trent and Reg were easy for him to manipulate through their clashing personalities and flaws. He could not have them being friends. Newman's one and only goal is to possess Helen.
The scary thing is, that now that he has seen Lanie, she has become 'a person of interest' to him as well.
Lanie starts out in the next segment a 'pre-teen' and she'll grow much faster then she did in this part. I hope everyone continues to read and give me advice when I need it.
*hugs*
Meet ya on the next thread.
Page 29 of 29