Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Jul 2007 at 12:18 PM Last edited by christinephelan1 : 24th Jul 2007 at 3:24 PM.
Help needed with Vanity table mesh !!
Hi all, can sombody help please,
I have cloned the Cornerstone veritytable vanity and i am having problems with the texture on the seat,i didnt realise until i got into the package that the seat takes it texture from the vanity table itself!
so i decided to give the seat its own material defination and texture(Thanks to IgnorantBliss's great tutorial)but for some reason the seat wont texture properly i have enclosed the package and i have pictures of the vanity taken from simpe.
Any help at all would be very much appreciated thanking you in advance xox
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Deanna Vanity Package.zip (323.9 KB, 20 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 24th Jul 2007 at 2:00 PM
When you cloned it, did you have the "Create stand-alone object" box ticked? If you didnt, reclone it and it should have the correct texture in it.

Please dont request anything to be made, but I dont mind suggestions/ideas. :)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Jul 2007 at 2:25 PM
Thank you so much for you reply JohnBrehaut, no i didnt i will clone again ad let you know !!!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 24th Jul 2007 at 11:16 PM
Sorry to trouble you again, but i cloned the vanity again this time with stand alone option checked.And still the texture is wrong is there something else i have missed or i have done wrong please, i am stumped i dont know what to do
and its part of a set thanking you in advance,
Sincerely Christine xox
Forum Resident
#5 Old 25th Jul 2007 at 7:48 AM
Did you clone the maxis vanity table, or your previous clone?

Please dont request anything to be made, but I dont mind suggestions/ideas. :)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 25th Jul 2007 at 11:25 AM
Yes i cloned the maxis one,not the cloned one. Thank you for your reply, i still cant figure out whats wrong if you have any more advice for me John i would be forever grateful!
Sincerely Christine xox
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 25th Jul 2007 at 1:08 PM Last edited by corvidophile2 : 25th Jul 2007 at 1:16 PM.
That's because it has the same name with the table which is "vanitytablecolonial_ wood" . I see the original has 2 textures only and yours 3 ( you made a separate for the seat) so i guess you need to remake the texture or uvmap or actually this tutorial is what you need http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=103379

You will find my older and newest creations here
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 25th Jul 2007 at 6:23 PM
Thank you Corvidophile for your reply, i used IgnorantsBliss's tut and yes i did make a seperate texture for the seat and i uv mapped it. I followed the tut to the letter.When you say it has the same name with the table should i change it and if so to what? I am sorry I am fairly new to adding a subset i have only ever used the tutorial to make my items recolourable.
Yours Sincerely Christine xox
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 25th Jul 2007 at 6:37 PM Last edited by corvidophile2 : 25th Jul 2007 at 6:43 PM.
If you change the name it will not connect to a texture at all. You see it's the name that links it and because it has the same name with the table itself it takes the texture from there.

I'm not an expert ( by far actually lol) but what i would do is look at maxis one and compare.But try and uvmap it again including the seat in the same uvmap with the table, and then you wont have to make a separate texture for the seat mesh.Then redo your texture which will now have both table and seat there. Because maxis vanity has the seat texture on the table texture.This is what you must fix and i believe it will be ok then.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 25th Jul 2007 at 9:46 PM
Corvidophile thank you, for replying and for your explanation on the name.
And yes i will uv map the vanity and seat together as is suposed to be i think that was my mistake seperating them!
Can i ask of you one more favour Please,How do you make a texture with a part solid and a part transparent? i want to make a voile curtain, with a solid curtain pole.I have it meshed and uv mapped,but cant make the texture map!
Thanking you in advance
Christine xox
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 25th Jul 2007 at 10:06 PM Last edited by corvidophile2 : 25th Jul 2007 at 10:22 PM.
You would need to start a new transparent file in your graphics editor [same image size as your uvmap(or finished texture) so you can put uvmap(or finished texture) on top as a second layer to edit] .

That way you can select the curtain part with the lasso tool or the rectangular marquee tool and adjust top layer blending options to what you desire and the pole will still remain solid.

After you have finished you must save it as PNG so it keeps its transparency.
Also you should use the "BUILD DTX3" in SimPE for the desired transparency results.

I use Photoshop so i don't have any idea how other paint programs work so excuse me in advance if what i say sounds unfamiliar.

I'm really glad i can help :-) ( besides i have been asking the same questions not long ago lol)

Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 25th Jul 2007 at 11:04 PM Last edited by christinephelan1 : 25th Jul 2007 at 11:21 PM.
Thank you for your explanation, i use psp too and can understand perfectly
Corvidophile, your an angel thank you for all of your help.
Sincerely Christine xox

Im so sorry to trouble you again Corvidophile, but i have recloned the vanity table and imported the vanity & seat gmdc's.Then i re uv mapped them together for the texture map a mistake i know now!
Please how do i add the two textures together so they will show in SimPE ?
while keeping their original gmdc's.
Thank you
Sincerely Christine xox
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 25th Jul 2007 at 11:14 PM
*blushes* , thanks, i can't wait to see the finished project :-)

Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 25th Jul 2007 at 11:27 PM Last edited by corvidophile2 : 25th Jul 2007 at 11:42 PM.
I see you edited the post, ok so you re-uvmapped the table, now you have to change the texture as well.You will have to remake it that is, using now your new uvmap as reference.(you don't need to remake it totally, i mean you can just adjust it in PSP to fit the new uvmap both the bench txtr and the seat txtr, i hope that makes sense)

(since you reuvmapped and merged the table and seat you have to do the same for the texture, you wont be needing the extra seat texture anymore you can delete it from the package.)

But you could upload your new package so i can look if you want and i'll try and help if i can.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 26th Jul 2007 at 12:16 AM
Corvidophile Thank you so much it worked
I deleted the seat gmdc, something i was always terrified to do but thanks to your help i did it and yes it worked!!
Your an Angel i could not have done it without your help, i really appriciate your help xox
im sorry the picture is in SimPE but you can get the idea of the overall finished vanity.
Thank you for all of your help i could'nt have done it without you xox
Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 26th Jul 2007 at 12:22 AM
EEEk i said to delete the seat txtr actually, i think you shouldnt delete the seat gmdc because the animations might not work in game?

Ok can you please test it in game and tell me if it works because i am anxious now.

But if it works then that's fine too LOL

Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 26th Jul 2007 at 12:32 AM
omg no im sorry i was too anxious to see it finished duh!
Corvidophile i will check in game now, I pray its works after all the help you gave me ill get bact to you soon xox
Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 26th Jul 2007 at 1:23 AM
Corvidopile No it did'nt work my game crashed when i tried to use the vanity(guess i learned the hard way)thats a mistake i have learned and wont forget in a hurry if ever
Thankfully i saved the package to my desktop before i reworked it, something i have always done.
I have just reread your advice and i will try it now.
Sorry for the scare lol i nearly had a heart attack when i realised what i did and i am embaressed as hell !
Top Secret Researcher
#19 Old 26th Jul 2007 at 1:27 AM Last edited by corvidophile2 : 26th Jul 2007 at 1:35 AM.
Ok i'm waiting ( btw if it doesn't work now that you deleted the seat gmdc it is no biggie, you can just reclone the maxis vanity table and re-import your meshes and textures ).

edit:ok i posted this without seeing your reply. Glad you kept a copy to rework ( i do that also lol ). Hopefully by using the new texture it will be fine.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#20 Old 26th Jul 2007 at 4:02 AM
Corvidophile im so sorry i did'nt get back to you sooner,my son woke up sick i have just got him back to sleep.It,s just four am and i need sleep!
I have enclosed my package i added the texture of the seat to the vanity, but it still is not working probably an error on my part.Oh i did delete the seat texture not the gmdc i remembered!!
If you would check it for me and advise me i would be gratefull!
Thanking you in advance
Sinserely Christine
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Deanna-Vanity-Chrissymariz-24.7.2007.zip (414.1 KB, 5 downloads) - View custom content
Top Secret Researcher
#21 Old 26th Jul 2007 at 11:14 AM Last edited by corvidophile2 : 26th Jul 2007 at 11:40 AM.
Sorry to hear about your son, i hope he feels better by now :-)

i fixed the uvmap and saved the new models as well.(i attached them here)

Now you have to use the new uvmap and remake the texture (by using your seat and bench textures incorporated on this new uvmap) and then import the remapped meshes ( when you import them for the bench select replace and for the seat select nothing, when it is time to import the seat for the bench select nothing and for the seat select add and then you can rename it and delete the other group, ok i think i better make some pics because i suck at explaining).

I took a screen in the uvmapper and i attached it also to help out, the part in red is the seat.

I hope this helps.And i hope i did it right

also:When you cloned the first did you use these clone options? If not you could make a new clone like it first.

Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  deannasvanity.rar (321.2 KB, 7 downloads) - View custom content

Top Secret Researcher
#22 Old 27th Jul 2007 at 1:49 PM
Hi Deanna,

i made a new package to clone because my instructions were a bit useless.

You just need to clone it with the options i gave above and texture the maple_txtr of it. I colored parts this time, red is the seat and the other you can figure out if you load game and look at it.It already has its own guid so you don't need new.Just clone it , rename and update it and change the texture.I will give more details later about some steps and perhaps it isn't the greatest uvmap of it all lol but it works. That's the best i could do as well.

Cheers :-)
Attached files:
File Type: rar  fixed.rar (158.9 KB, 5 downloads) - View custom content

Test Subject
Original Poster
#23 Old 28th Jul 2007 at 1:55 AM
Corvidophile, Thank You so much for all of your help I would never have done it without you xox
My Vanity table is finished
Here is a picture of it.Thanks Corvidophile xox
Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
#24 Old 28th Jul 2007 at 3:11 AM
Oh my , it looks so great!!! I hope you upload your set, it is wonderful!

Glad i could help!