Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Jan 2010 at 8:24 PM
Default Naming Lots in CAW?
When the "help pdf" says that you must name lots to save your world, does that mean where it says "Lot_0" over on the layers menu? And is it supposed to be something like "City Hall" or the address you're making the lot, or both?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 11th Jan 2010 at 9:27 PM
When you select a lot in the World Layers area, the program display properties for that Lot in the Property Browser area. This defaults to an empty value in the Lot Address property which is what display as the name or address of the lot when you play the world.

You are able to rename the lots in the World Layers area, but I think that's purely to help yourself.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th Jan 2010 at 9:49 PM
Thank you. I didn't see the Lot Address box in the Property Browser. Okay, what I type in there will be what is displayed in game and the name in the Layers area is for my own organizing. Still, in game, lots have a name in bold and an address under that not in bold. Am I correct in assuming the address not in bold is what comes from the Lot Address property box and the bold name will be entered in game, while editing the town?
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 11th Jan 2010 at 9:51 PM
It may mean that you have to name the world. I found that I could not export my world unless it had a name, description, and a png thumbnail.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 11th Jan 2010 at 10:16 PM
I know what you're referring to, although I haven't made it that far yet. This is more specifically about lots, because it's in the "ADDING NEW LOTS" section and it says "7. Name your lot (you must have all of your lots named to save your world)." I just want to make sure which entry shows up where.
Test Subject
#6 Old 11th Jan 2010 at 10:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by squeam
Thank you. I didn't see the Lot Address box in the Property Browser. Okay, what I type in there will be what is displayed in game and the name in the Layers area is for my own organizing. Still, in game, lots have a name in bold and an address under that not in bold. Am I correct in assuming the address not in bold is what comes from the Lot Address property box and the bold name will be entered in game, while editing the town?

Yes. The part you enter in CAW is the street address. Like "342 Walnut Street." The part that shows up in bold in the game is the name of the house. "Cozy Cabin 3bd-2ba" or "Restful Retreat 2bd-1ba", ect.

It doesn't matter what you name the lots in the layers tab, as long as each lot has a unique name. Those labels won't show up in the game at all. I'm using codes for mine, to keep everything straight, and to make for faster lotting. BH01, TH01, CH01, ect, depending on what part of town they're in.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 12th Jan 2010 at 1:37 AM
Great. Thanks for the help, everybody.
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 13th Jan 2010 at 4:37 AM
So you have to name them so that after you export you can save the game? I guess that makes sense. Mine have the original name: Lot 1, etc. and I can save the world without changing them. But I am guessing you mean after the export. That is a good thing to know!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 18th Jan 2010 at 9:21 PM
Oh rian, I missed your reply. I think it means that if you leave any completely blank it won't save. At least, that was my assumption.
Test Subject
#10 Old 28th Jan 2010 at 9:51 AM
it's when you click on the lot and see an icon (a note book I think) there you can edit the Discription of the lot and name it at the same time.