Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Dec 2018 at 4:30 PM
Default So what did I break now? And how bad is it?
Hello all!

I hope you all had a good Christmas (whit all respect to all who don't celebrate it). As we are moveing forward to newyear I do have a question for you. I don't know what happen but it surely was my foult that it did happen. The question is: How bad is it and can it be repaired whitout reinstalling the game. I did not put this unde Help as the game still works and I can play. This problem only makes it harder.

Short story: I ahd been downloading a lot and did test it out in Belladonnacove (I never play there). The lot seemed to come whit a lot of water around its edges but I did not find any good way to "clean it off". So I did the total noob thing and wrote: "delete all water" in the cheat box. Now, the cheat system did not take that command (surprise) so I have to fix the lot later. The bad thing is that the cheat system broke (see pic below) and I can not see what code I just wrote in. Sure, I have been misspelling things before and always get the message that the cheat code is not supported. Fair enough, but this is worse. I can still use cheats, I tested whit rotating objecks 45 degrees and I can use move objects but things like listing cheats or Help do not work. It's only results in this message. I'm confused and worried about this so if you can help, please do. I have some days off now so I do have the time to look into this. Reloading the game or changeing to an other hood do not help.

Advertisement
Link Ninja
#2 Old 26th Dec 2018 at 4:45 PM
write a tilde (~) it should clear it

Or if not that, just the ` key in the top left corner of the keyboard.

If not, then I don't know what else to suggest.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Mad Poster
#3 Old 26th Dec 2018 at 5:18 PM
Two tentative suggestions:

1) Try rebooting the whole computer. Shut it down and power it up again. I've seen this fix things that made no sense at all.

2) Make back-up copies of the 'hood(s) you've been playing and then delete your caches. You're error messages are saying something about a cache, and this may be a hint at what's wrong.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Scholar
Original Poster
#4 Old 26th Dec 2018 at 6:00 PM
Ok, thank you both. I should try that tomorrow. Just a question AndrewGloria, what cahch is it? There is a think called "Groupe cache2 in the Sims 2 folder, is it that I should delete or anything else?
Mad Poster
#5 Old 26th Dec 2018 at 6:31 PM
My one is Groups.cache in the My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2 folder, but I believe you can get at least one other cache file if you have the later EPs. Perhaps someone who has them can tell you what other cache files exist.

Caches are simply a place where computers hold frequently used data, to save time looking it up every time the data is needed.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 26th Dec 2018 at 7:00 PM
If the console gets stuck open again, expand then exit will get it closed.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Instructor
#7 Old 26th Dec 2018 at 9:24 PM
@charmful the ~ part is true, i accidently typed this one a few months ago and the cheat menu (or however it's called) was gone

i'm pretty sure it helps other people too who has this cheat menu issue too who wants to get rid of it after typing help or typing the wrong letters
i also don't have any suggestions either
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 26th Dec 2018 at 10:11 PM
Reloading the game should fix it.

As to the water on the lot, that simply means your hood is low and the lot hits the water table probably because it has a basement. Place the lot on higher land is all you need do.

Do not reinstall your game! You only do that for broken installation files or because you are moving computers, nothing else. The act of uninstalling can give you issues by leaving bits of files behind. It is not some cure-all.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#9 Old 27th Dec 2018 at 9:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Reloading the game should fix it.

As to the water on the lot, that simply means your hood is low and the lot hits the water table probably because it has a basement. Place the lot on higher land is all you need do.

Do not reinstall your game! You only do that for broken installation files or because you are moving computers, nothing else. The act of uninstalling can give you issues by leaving bits of files behind. It is not some cure-all.

I did reload the game but it did not work. But I should try that today (my Sims computer is turned off right now so it will be the same). I do not remember how the lot was set up and all the pics are gone so I can not double check. But I belive you are right. A pic will come later.
Instructor
#10 Old 27th Dec 2018 at 10:00 AM Last edited by DrewInTheSky : 27th Dec 2018 at 10:35 PM.
To be fiar, those specific errors are normal during a gameplay section - they definitely not affect your game nor you broke the cheat box. Whenever you type something wrong, even when you mispell a cheat, you get this sort of mess where the game is telling you everything that's wrong (for it); but this doesn't mean you broke anything. It's like when you playing with the testingCheats on and you get error for silly things while, normally, you don't see them.
Probably you couldn't see the "help" cheat due to the number of strings already there.
The cheat "clear" should remove everything and make you able to see only what you type after inserting it.
Scholar
Original Poster
#11 Old 27th Dec 2018 at 10:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DrewInTheSky
The cheat "clear" should remove everything and make you able to see only what you type after inserting it.

I just did that. And it WORKED! Now everything is back to normal! I'm superhappy!
Instructor
#12 Old 27th Dec 2018 at 11:06 AM Last edited by DrewInTheSky : 27th Dec 2018 at 10:36 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Mrmo
I just did that. And it WORKED! Now everything is back to normal! I'm superhappy!

Eheh told you, it's nothing important at all
It's like when you check the logs in the EA Folder and it looks like your game is completely messed up - The Sims is a very complex game, that uses a lot of different resources at the same time and a huge numbers of setting that, sometimes, are not needed... I use to get very paranoid about them, but you know, after 14 years, with the right adjustments, TS2 can be so stable and safe that you don't have anything to be worried about!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 27th Dec 2018 at 9:44 PM
Responding to the PM and for others who don't know of terrain cheats.

Low lying lots that have hit the water table:

Put in the terrain cheat: modifyNeighborhoodTerrain [on | off] Raise some terrain and smooth it off.
Click and drag over an area using [ or ] to raise or lower the terrain by clicks and press \ to level the terrain.

Place the lot on the newly made higher terrain. If fixed yah, if some water still shows, raise and smooth some more.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#14 Old 27th Dec 2018 at 9:52 PM
I have no experience but will give it a try. Thank you!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15 Old 27th Dec 2018 at 10:03 PM
Make a backup first.

~Call me Jo~