Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 12:01 AM
How do you handle split families?
In my Pleasantview Nina Caliente is the neighborhood train wreck, she has had Don lothario's baby (very adorable by the way) and she is now pregnant with Daniel Pleasants baby. Unlike Don, Daniel wants to be involved in his kids life. So how do I go about doing this? Can I simply have Daniel invite the household over and have Daniel invite the kid to stay the night without Nina? Will the game allow that? Is there a mod for my problem? I have searched and have found nothing. Do I need to just move the kid in with Daniel on the weekends, and then back with Nina for the week? This situation will surely cause me to pull my hair out! Tips and advice please!
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 12:11 AM
When I had that kind of arrangement, I moved the toddler in and out of the parents homes (which was quick and painless - I used Inge's teleporter cat to teleport the kid into the home, then chose the "move in" option). Once the child reached the kid age, I added the kid and the dad to a casual group. The father could invite the kid over, and since it was a casual group, the kid wouldn't leave at curfew, the way kids usually do. I use the cat to make the kid selectable so I can play him or her in both households.

I always teleported the non-custodial parent in to visit infants, since I wasn't sure it was safe to move them back and forth.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 12:12 AM
I'll have to try this! Thanks so much!
Mad Poster
#4 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 1:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by omglo
I always teleported the non-custodial parent in to visit infants, since I wasn't sure it was safe to move them back and forth.
As long as the parents have a reasonable relationship with each other, would it not be as easy for the custodial parent to invite the non-custodial one? I tend to use the teleporter as a last resort when nothing else will do.
Link Ninja
#5 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 1:23 AM
In my situation when the father wanted to visit their child I would wait until the child was child aged and the father could call for them and talk to them and after about 20 or 25 Short Term Relationship, they would invite their kid over and hang out, or take them out to the park without the ex but they would have to leave at 6pm. But whoever leaves the family in the split won't get any kind of contact until the child is child-aged.

Later in the teen years, since they are related, the non-custodial parent can ask their child to spend the night as long as they have an extra bed or room.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Scholar
#6 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 1:23 AM
I just bring the dad over to visit or teleport them over to their dad's for a visit.
Alchemist
#7 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 1:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
As long as the parents have a reasonable relationship with each other, would it not be as easy for the custodial parent to invite the non-custodial one? I tend to use the teleporter as a last resort when nothing else will do.
It would be, but most of the time my Sims are in this situation, the parents aren't getting along.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 1:51 AM
I would use Christianlov's teleporter mirror. This temporarily moves them in, but doesn't give a useless memory, it also makes them fully controllable. I use this on toddler age for my day care centre.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#9 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 3:50 AM
Yeah..we would need a mod for separated parents, one weekend on 2 custody like thing...
I got the mirror, thanks JoandSarah.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Mad Poster
#10 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 11:07 AM
Calling and inviting them means you have to keep their work schedule in mind. I'm often too lazy for that, and thus use the teleporter when I can't be bothered with realism on that aspect. I figure most people can work their schedule if needed, so if they can only see their kid on a thursday, they'd make sure they don't have to work on thursday.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 12:16 PM
If I make a visiting Sim selectable when he/she ought to be at work, he/she usually gets a stern warning for missing work.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 3:08 PM
I don't religiously make visiting sims controllable, as you seem to do If I do want to make them controllable, and they have work, I'll just give them an extra vacation day with simblender or insim.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 4:31 PM
I use the teleporter cat. I also use it to enable grandparents to take their non-household grandkids on vacations without the stupid guest behavior.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Mad Poster
#14 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 5:36 PM
Hm, I never actually think about making parents both have custody if they live in separate households.
If one parent isn't living in the same household, I invite them over just after the baby is born, and usually the sim whose just given birth goes to bed and the other sim tends to look after the baby, and then I invite them over every few days to make sure the baby/toddler knows the other parent. Then when they're children/teenagers they can invite the child over and stuff. Sometimes I move them in with the other parent when they're teenagers or children because I like to pretend they 'decide' which parent they want to live with.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Alchemist
#15 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 5:52 PM
FYI, the teleporter cat doesn't add any memories about moving in or joining the family, either.
#16 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 8:32 PM
The only current situation I have like this is my Carroll family. Long story short, husband and wife Jack and Ashley have two kids Noah and Amanda. Jack cheats on Ashley with Destiny Cerise, getting her pregnant and never meeting his child. Eventually Ashley leaves Jack and gets a new boyfriend Adam Piccolo and they move in together.
Ashley really loves her children, but is still in a war with her ex and try to avoid each other at all costs. The way I deal with them being divorced is since Ashley left Jack he gets the kids. Ashley sends them money orders (forget where I downloaded them) and calls her kids every day and invites them over. Not the way she wants things to be, but good enough for now.
Destiny on the other hand, didn't even let Jack know she had a kid. He never saw her during the pregnancy and never met his daughter, and Destiny wants to keep it that way. That makes things easier. I don't bother with switching kids back and forth, my Sims get full custody and it's up to the other parent to see the kids if they wish. They have to pay them though.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#17 Old 18th Apr 2014 at 11:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by omglo
FYI, the teleporter cat doesn't add any memories about moving in or joining the family, either.

The benefit of the mirror is the sims who you bring are selectable and toddlers have more options. The cat doesn't temporary move them in, it just brings them and zaps them away. With the mirror if you have brought a sim, for example a child to stay the weekend with dad; if you save and load up mums house the child wont be there. The sim is really transported, with the cat it isn't. With the cat you would find the child still at his mothers. So I use both, but mostly the mirror. Say you want a toddler gone over to day care while mum goes to work, you can send the toddler to a friends house and you could if you wanted load up the friends house and play him there. The cat simply makes them disappear.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
#18 Old 22nd Nov 2018 at 8:30 PM
Default send kids away to other parents house for the weekend
Quote: Originally posted by Juliapaige1992
In my Pleasantview Nina Caliente is the neighborhood train wreck, she has had Don lothario's baby (very adorable by the way) and she is now pregnant with Daniel Pleasants baby. Unlike Don, Daniel wants to be involved in his kids life. So how do I go about doing this? Can I simply have Daniel invite the household over and have Daniel invite the kid to stay the night without Nina? Will the game allow that? Is there a mod for my problem? I have searched and have found nothing. Do I need to just move the kid in with Daniel on the weekends, and then back with Nina for the week? This situation will surely cause me to pull my hair out! Tips and advice please!

Try this mod you can send your kids to the other parents house or for the weekend. https://littlemssam.tumblr.com/post...s-away-to-visit
Mad Poster
#19 Old 22nd Nov 2018 at 9:15 PM
@topper42 - This is an old thread. Chances are the OP isn't even around to see your post.

On top of that, you posted a mod for Sims 4. This is a Sims 2 thread.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives