Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Sep 2016 at 5:17 PM
Default Gimp DDS.exe (plugin)corruption?
Hi.
I don´t know where to exactly post this since the thread is about DDS files, but I give this a try!
It seems(not 100% sure)there is something wrong with my DDS.exe plugin for Gimp.
When I save a 1024x1024 DDS file texture, the filesize is big! Up to 1.00 mb i think(the filesize is exactly 1.00 mb)!
And second, to troubleshoot this problem I was looking at where the plugin is installed and it has no Icon!
The only thing I think can be the case is when Gimp crashed for the first time when saving a DDS.file.
I don´t get any errors in Gimp though, just the weird file sizes.
When launching up TSR Workshop and I import my textures in there I think I get something like memory errors, which I believe has to do with the large DDS.files.
Maybe there is something wrong with my computer too...
I have been searching and searching, no answers on this specific problem.
I would really appreciate if you really want to help me with this problem(I´m stuck on this for my conversion project).
Thank you in advanced!
Advertisement
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#2 Old 6th Sep 2016 at 8:30 PM
it's normal for a DDS file to get over to 1MB because of size. In fact, I usually have over 1.30 MB for my multipliers. But there are some things you should consider:

- Files will be larger when the size is big. Say you made a 4K screenshot, the image will become pretty big itself. Doesn't really matter how you export it.
- Quality. And with quality, Usually the size plays a role with it.
- colours. It's not likely to be that, but it's a possible reason that the amount of RGB(A) is actually making the image so big.

For texturing, there is another thing you should be thinking about. Alpha channels. Alpha channels can pretty much make your screenshot size bigger as well.

For TSRW, you got to have in mind that TSRW does NOT like 2048x2048 images. IT HATES IT! I had to finish entire projects that needed this size in S3PE. And that pretty much happens almost never. But apparently some people claimed that TSRW will stop whining about it's 'not enough memory error' when you have about 32 GB of memory, so it's just TSRW's poor programming, not your computer (Well unless you have 500 mb memory.'

But DDS files will always be sized a bit bigger because of: quality, alpha maps (which will be added when you set it as a DXT5) and size.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Sep 2016 at 8:54 PM
Ah! Thank once again! I thought it has to do with the gimp DDS plugin.
I just wonder why a 1024x1024 texture makes TSR Workshop crash?
Maybe there is some memory leak on my computer, I will look at the memory thing on my computer.
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#4 Old 9th Sep 2016 at 9:43 AM
I'm not sure how many memory you got? But i'm really sure it's TSRW's fault and not yours. What you can do is export the project as a package and replace the images with the images you got already, and re-open the package in S3PE if you really want to look if you did everything correctly. Oh and adding the textures within the materials tab (in the mesh tab).