Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Oct 2016 at 5:04 AM
Default Discussion thread for: We Want You!
This is the discussion thread for the site news call asking for moderators. Keep chit chat about processes, etc, in here only.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Advertisement
Echezzman Nwokeoma
staff: senior moderator
#2 Old 15th Oct 2016 at 10:47 AM
I would advice that people read the instructions on the first post before making any post to become a moderator or not. If you can't read and follow simple instruction that is clearly written, then you are not fit to be a moderator. Despite the fact that @simsample said this is post #11, people still do not listen. When you show to all that you are so drunk in becoming a moderator and have no regards for following instructions, you are only giving us a confirmation that you are not fit to be a moderator
Mad Poster
#3 Old 15th Oct 2016 at 11:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AdonisPluto
I would advice that people read the instructions on the first post before making any post to become a moderator or not. If you can't read and follow simple instruction that is clearly written, then you are not fit to be a moderator. Despite the fact that @simsample said this is post #11, people still do not listen. When you show to all that you are so drunk in becoming a moderator and have no regards for following instructions, you are only giving us a confirmation that you are not fit to be a moderator

By all means, go ahead. It makes it easier for the mods to figure out who's serious about this and who isn't. I mean, I'm a great listener. I just love vanilla. And I hadn't yet noticed how sexy @PharaohHound is.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#4 Old 15th Oct 2016 at 12:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BloodyScholastic
Sorry for intruding someone else's applications, but

@Julie J
@SuperSim64DS

You two forgot to mention "vanilla"

You shouldn't draw people's attention to it specially cos it gives later people an advantage and doesn't work so well as the test it was intended to be.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Scholar
#5 Old 15th Oct 2016 at 1:36 PM
Hope it's okay to pop in and say good luck all.

"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Truth will not fear scrutiny.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#6 Old 15th Oct 2016 at 1:55 PM
@Inge Jones
Well, that may be true. BUT it's been proven time and time again (here and elsewhere) that people don't always read things through. So.. you know..
And besides that: that's not the only thing that someone will be "judged" for when being considered. I mean, it does help (immensely) to know that someone can read and comprehend what they read. But it's possible for someone to be an awesome reader who comprehends everything and can follow directions and still be so terrible at other things. So... you know..

(Hey, I'm one of the most forgetful people I know and I'm a mod!)
Mad Poster
#7 Old 15th Oct 2016 at 2:05 PM
I'm just bummed that attention was called to it, because I was enjoying the word search. (Huge puzzle fan here.)

Good luck to the applicants!

♥ }i{ Monarch of the Receptacle Refugees }i{ ♥
Mad Poster
#8 Old 15th Oct 2016 at 3:35 PM
It always amazes me how unwilling people are to read these days. I mean, how do you expect to achieve anything if you make it clear right from the start that you're not gonna put any effort in?

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
dodgy builder
#9 Old 15th Oct 2016 at 9:24 PM
I'm wondering how people expect to apply for jobs if you don't read the requirements for the position?... and why do you click disagree on people's applications? I just think it's rude. Support them instead of making them feel like fools.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 15th Oct 2016 at 10:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
I'm wondering how people expect to apply for jobs if you don't read the requirements for the position?... and why do you click disagree on people's applications? I just think it's rude. Support them instead of making them feel like fools.

Some people are children, others are children. I'm the former, those people are the latter.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#11 Old 16th Oct 2016 at 12:06 AM
BloodyScholastic makes some really good points just now- and does a good job summarizing why I'm not applying myself! I get a lot out of this site, and I'd be quite happy to help out and give more back to the organization, but I know from personal experience that contests are about as much "responsibility" as I want to handle with Sims games! Deadlines and requirements are fine when you're getting something out of them, but it takes a lot of dedication and determination to be willing to keep at it when you're not getting something out of it!

It's very tempting to apply to be a moderator, both from altruistic and egotistical standpoints (after all, that green name and title and attention are enticing), but doing so changes MTS from a hobby to a job (and one without a paycheck, at that!) The Sims may be a game- moderating a site is not.

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Field Researcher
#12 Old 16th Oct 2016 at 4:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BloodyScholastic
How could this person able to be moderator if ... that person misunderstands other member's post?

From what I understand, very few moderating decisions on MTS are made unilaterally. Usually there is some degree of consultation with other mods to ensure the correct decision is being made. So while one mod may misunderstand a particular situation, some quick communication with other mods would likely clear that up.

Of course, if such misunderstandings happened too frequently, then I assume MTS would decide that person was not really cut out to be a moderator.
dodgy builder
#13 Old 16th Oct 2016 at 10:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra
BloodyScholastic makes some really good points just now- and does a good job summarizing why I'm not applying myself! I get a lot out of this site, and I'd be quite happy to help out and give more back to the organization, but I know from personal experience that contests are about as much "responsibility" as I want to handle with Sims games! Deadlines and requirements are fine when you're getting something out of them, but it takes a lot of dedication and determination to be willing to keep at it when you're not getting something out of it!

It's very tempting to apply to be a moderator, both from altruistic and egotistical standpoints (after all, that green name and title and attention are enticing), but doing so changes MTS from a hobby to a job (and one without a paycheck, at that!) The Sims may be a game- moderating a site is not.

Totally. The responsibility is why I'm not applying either. I don't know if I'm up to it, with having to follow up from start to finish with all kinds of people, and with the job I have as a cashier. It's probably doomed, suddenly they call and I have to get ready for work instead. I'm also as it says not that available in the evening, because the people who don't usually show up for work are the evening shift.
#14 Old 16th Oct 2016 at 10:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PharaohHound
as a queue mod you will have to look at uploads which are in some cases laughably awful.... then use your absolute nicest words to say encouraging things and very gently let them down.

Why can't you make the job more fun by letting them think up the rudest epithets they can, and then running a monthly contest between moderators for the most offensive moderatorial comment? You could get the users involved in voting - at the cost of a $5 donation.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Echezzman Nwokeoma
#15 Old 16th Oct 2016 at 10:30 AM Last edited by AdonisPluto : 16th Oct 2016 at 10:42 AM.

This is well spoken and its dishearteningly painful. If you do not like a post and have no comment to make then let it be. When you click on dislike on people application you make them look like fools and that really hurts.
#16 Old 16th Oct 2016 at 10:36 AM
This is well spoken and its dishearteningly painful. If you do not like a post and have no comment to make the n let it be. When you click on dislike on people application you make them look like fools and that really hurts.

I think people are using it as a way of expressing those people they wouldn't like to find having any authority over them. In most cases if you asked the disagreers they would probably be able to give you an account of where the applicant showed him or herself to be immature, irresponsible, or offensive towards people - possibly on other sites. The disagrees may be useful indicators to the admins who are going to choose their moderators.

dodgy builder
#17 Old 16th Oct 2016 at 10:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
I think people are using it as a way of expressing those people they wouldn't like to find having any authority over them. In most cases if you asked the disagreers they would probably be able to give you an account of where the applicant showed him or herself to be immature, irresponsible, or offensive towards people - possibly on other sites. The disagrees may be useful indicators to the admins who are going to choose their moderators.

I may be cynical, but I'm not sure I buy that ... when you see the amount of disagrees.
#18 Old 16th Oct 2016 at 10:53 AM
Not all the applicants have large amounts of disagrees. In fact maybe it would be useful if more people also clicked agree on the ones they WOULD like as moderators

dodgy builder
#19 Old 16th Oct 2016 at 10:55 AM
Not all the applicants have large amounts of disagrees. In fact maybe it would be useful if people also clicked agree on the ones they WOULD like as moderators

That would be far more useful.
#20 Old 16th Oct 2016 at 10:57 AM
That would be far more useful.

It would be *as* useful. The last thing MTS admins need is another huge drama as an unsuitable moderator is criticised and has a meltdown. It's as well they know who isn't going to be liked and respected from the outset

dodgy builder
#21 Old 16th Oct 2016 at 11:03 AM
It would be *as* useful. The last thing MTS admins need is another huge drama as an unsuitable moderator is criticised and has a meltdown. It's as well they know who isn't going to be liked and respected from the outset

Nah ... there is quite a few people who likes clicking on disagrees for no perticular reason, from what I have seen elsewhere on this site. They are far less likely to click agree for the fun of it.

I also noticed that the amount of disagrees probably has been reduced, some people may have realized how it looks and changed their mind.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 16th Oct 2016 at 11:25 AM
Yeah, I think it's got a lot to do with history. I used to be the kind of person you would either love or hate, and a lot of people chose to hate me. Usually very sane, down-to-earth, people. That'd be half the disagrees, and the rest will be people who like clicking buttons. Can't blame them.
I think Inge worded it well - there are people here whom some others might not appreciate being having authority over them. Let me tell you something about the real world. In the real world there's teachers, mentors, and bosses. Some of them you like, some of them you don't like. The ones you don't like are often less forgiving, and they might have given you shit in the past. But eventually you'll figure out that those strict, intolerant people are actually just doing their job really well.

And I think that might be relevant here. This is the The Sims community, everyone's got an opinion and a lot of them aren't pretty. I myself also have opinions about everything else, but I keep those on Reddit, on Tumblr and whereever else they're not inappropriate.

insert signature here
Echezzman Nwokeoma
#23 Old 16th Oct 2016 at 11:26 AM

In a general discursion where everyone has his/her own opinions there are bound to be disagreements based on what the topic is all about. But this is not a discursion but an application and it takes courage for one to do that. And for others to sit and disagree with an individual's application just make it sad. If you cannot give a reason to why you disagree then whats the point to disagreeing
#24 Old 16th Oct 2016 at 11:33 AM
In a general discursion where everyone has his/her own opinions there are bound to be disagreements based on what the topic is all about. But this is not a discursion but an application and it takes courage for one to do that. And for others to sit and disagree with an individual's application just make it sad. If you cannot give a reason to why you disagree then whats the point to disagreeing

I feel quite sure the moderators don't want discussion in here, this current discussion OR the ones that would ensue if users started telling the applicants WHY they don't want them to be moderators. HAHAH no I don't think so. I think it would have been better if people had simply clicked the agrees and disagrees and we weren't discussing the phenomenon at all.

dodgy builder
#25 Old 16th Oct 2016 at 11:45 AM
I feel quite sure the moderators don't want discussion in here, this current discussion OR the ones that would ensue if users started telling the applicants WHY they don't want them to be moderators. HAHAH no I don't think so. I think it would have been better if people had simply clicked the agrees and disagrees and we weren't discussing the phenomenon at all.

You're probably right, but it could have been useful to those reading, clicking and posting applications, because now we have some sort of understanding.

Disagrees on an application can be hurtful though, and not very encouraging when you start a new job, and won't even get paid for it.
Page 1 of 5