Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
View Poll Results: Would you use a separate discussion forum for the Stories games?
Yes
85 43.37%
No
67 34.18%
The whatnow games?
44 22.45%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Née whiterider
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Aug 2013 at 8:07 PM Last edited by Nysha : 23rd Aug 2013 at 11:49 PM.
Default New Poll: Stories Subforum
We have a pretty active subforum for TSM, with lots of downloads and tutorials and stuff mixed in with the chatter. We also, amazingly enough, have a sort of active TS1 forum, established, oh, only about ten years after TS1 went out of style. So, we'd like to get some idea of how many people (if any ) would use a Stories subforum, were we to create one. Vote away!

(Bear in mind that voting "I wouldn't use it" isn't the same as voting "There shouldn't be one". If 100 people don't use the forum, that doesn't really matter as long as 50 people will use it.)

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
7 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 23rd Aug 2013 at 8:27 PM
I voted "no" because I don't actually play the Stories games anymore. However, I'd like to vote "yes" to creating a subforum. Even if it isn't as active as the TSM forum, I believe that there's a place for Stories questions, tutorials, and downloads.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Aug 2013 at 9:11 PM
Well, I did choose the question quite carefully - because it's all very well having lots of people thinking, in the abstract, that it'd be a good forum to have; but the forum will only be useful if there are people actually using it.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 23rd Aug 2013 at 10:21 PM
I voted yes as there are three story games and I don't see why there wouldn't be enough people interested if all 3 were under the one forum. I have all 3 of the games myself. While I haven't played any for awhile, I might play castaways if the bug that prevented me going more then halfway with it and if the bug in Pets which happened 3/4 through it was fixed.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Banned
#5 Old 23rd Aug 2013 at 10:35 PM
I voted yes because even though I do not play the stories games, it wouldn't make sense to leave them out. I'm sure there are many people who do play the stories series. In the store, the stories series and the collection packs (sans the base game collection oddly) are the only things that are on the shelves of TS2 in my local stores, Target, and such. Because TS2 is my favorite game of the series, it kind of makes me think that people are still interested in buying those games otherwise they wouldn't be in stock.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
Original Poster
#6 Old 23rd Aug 2013 at 10:45 PM
Guys, please do answer the question asked, not "Do you think a Stories forum is a good idea" .

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 23rd Aug 2013 at 10:48 PM
Quote:
would it be sensible to have a subforum for the Stories games as well?
is nearly the same as
Quote:
"Do you think a Stories forum is a good idea"
to me at least. My answer of yes covers both. I've always wondered why it didn't have a forum.

People like extracting items from it as well, so maybe that could also be under this area.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#8 Old 23rd Aug 2013 at 11:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
is nearly the same as to me at least. My answer of yes covers both. I've always wondered why it didn't have a forum.

People like extracting items from it as well, so maybe that could also be under this area.

I believe Nysha means the poll question: Would you use a separate discussion forum for the Stories games?

If few people actually play the games and/or would not use the forum then it'll be pointless to have it. If a bunch of people answer the poll question "yes" simply because they like the idea, but most of them will never use it then a lot of work will go into creating/maintaining something that's just sitting there gathering dust. So, we need to think of what we'd actually do if the forum existed not about wishing the forum existed.

Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
We have a pretty active subforum for TSM, with lots of downloads and tutorials and stuff mixed in with the chatter. We also, amazingly enough, have a sort of active TS1 forum, established, oh, only about ten years after TS1 went out of style. So, the inevitable question is - would it be sensible to have a subforum for the Stories games as well?

Maybe you should change the inevitable question to match the poll question. I'm not sure if people are taking the time to read the poll. They may be reading the post and answering based on it thus creating a bit of confusion (and inaccurate poll results).
Helptato
#9 Old 23rd Aug 2013 at 11:43 PM
I voted yes. I enjoyed TS2 Castaway Stories, what little I've played of it. It would be nice to have a place to discuss it and share pictures.

Emma!

Simblr
[url=https://peanutbuttersandwich.dreamwidth.org/Dreamwidth[/url]
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 24th Aug 2013 at 12:49 AM
I have one but only a Wii version of castaway which is rubbish though all the conversions from castaway is useful for my sims . I have never played the pc version as at the time of there realise I was told I could not have them as they would not work on my computer. So I vote yes as it seems fair to those who play the game still and allows us discuss the ports to over systems and such like.

"I know, and it breaks my heart to do it, but we must remain vigilant. If you cannot tell me another way, do not brand me a tyrant!" - knight commander Meredith (dragon age 2)

My sims stories: Witch queen
Nocturnal Dawn
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#11 Old 24th Aug 2013 at 12:53 AM
Well if the question is do I htink it's a good idea, then I would vote differently. I vorted no I wouldn't use it cos I don't have those games. But I think it is a good idea, I mean an extra forum takes up very little space, it's just a line in a table and a property on a post.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Inventor
#12 Old 24th Aug 2013 at 1:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Well if the question is do I htink it's a good idea, then I would vote differently. I vorted no I wouldn't use it cos I don't have those games. But I think it is a good idea, I mean an extra forum takes up very little space, it's just a line in a table and a property on a post.

I agree. I don't own the Stories games, nor will I buy them. I'm a TS3 player, and if I want a Sims game for laptop use without draining the battery (which was part of the point of the Stories games, IIRC) I play TS2.

The Darkdusk Legacy has ended. Read the whole thing!
The Nightmagic Legacy has ended. Read the whole thing!
Last of Her Kind has ended thanks to a dead computer.
Theorist
#13 Old 24th Aug 2013 at 4:52 AM
I appreciate the poll on this subject. I have all 3 stories and finding info on them is very difficult. Mostly it's wrong answers that are available and downloads are difficult to find, and there is no technical help. I have all of Sims2, but with a new windows pc it's difficult for me to learn 8 and be able to . load it anyway. I have always played stories now and then for a break. I'm playing Life Stories now and the graphics, color and actually seeing what designs look like are so refreshing, can't wait to get Sims2 set up. I would still play stories though, and have info to share on some things that work and some that don't. I voted yes! (obviously) Thank you!
Test Subject
#14 Old 24th Aug 2013 at 6:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PSDuckie
I agree. I don't own the Stories games, nor will I buy them. I'm a TS3 player, and if I want a Sims game for laptop use without draining the battery (which was part of the point of the Stories games, IIRC) I play TS2.
Bare in mind that the Stories games were specifically designed for a time when most average folks didn't have gaming laptops and running The Sims 2 might have been trickier.

I was actually curious about what the forum rules were regarding discussion of side-games such as The Sims Stories and various console games. I don't know if there's currently an area for any of them, and I think I assumed that, seeing as only the main games were really that mod-able, or worthy of being modded heavily due to popularity, a forum on a site called "Mod The Sims" probably wouldn't care for less mod-able titles.

I've very nearly considered asking a mod what the rules were regarding this issue in the past.

If not a subforum for The Sims Stories series, then perhaps one for all games not part of the main series would be handy, if only to have a place to discuss those games?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
Original Poster
#15 Old 24th Aug 2013 at 11:07 AM
We have a subforum for TSM, and the main Sims 2 Discussion forum has a category for Stories threads. If we open a Stories subforum, I'll probably move all the threads which are currently in the Stories category of Sims 2 Discussion to the new subforum. We might also have a category for console versions of TS2 in Sims 2 Discussion - but don't quote me on that.

Test Subject
#16 Old 24th Aug 2013 at 12:51 PM
Well, I said no, since I don't know anything about Stories (though I do know of the games' existence) and have never played them. However, what about a sort of "trial period" for the subforum? Give it a few months and if there's not been an acceptable amount of activity, shut it down.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 24th Aug 2013 at 2:44 PM
I voted "yes". I actually have the Life Stories CD sitting around here and I'd be glad to share info and that kind of stuff.
Test Subject
#18 Old 24th Aug 2013 at 4:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
We have a subforum for TSM, and the main Sims 2 Discussion forum has a category for Stories threads. If we open a Stories subforum, I'll probably move all the threads which are currently in the Stories category of Sims 2 Discussion to the new subforum. We might also have a category for console versions of TS2 in Sims 2 Discussion - but don't quote me on that.
See I'll admit that I wouldn't have thought that the Sims 2 subforum would have been the best place for the Stories series (though I can see the logic in putting it there). I think I see "Sims 2" and think that ONLY stuff directly labelled as Sims 2 content would be in there.

I think there should either be a "Other Sims Games/Non-Main Series" category or a subforum for each type i.e. "The Sims Stories" and "Sims Console Games/Other Sims Games" depending on whatever would be easier for the mods to work with.
Field Researcher
#19 Old 24th Aug 2013 at 6:11 PM
Zavvi brings a good point here, but there is no reason that The Sim Stories series (and maybe the other games) shouldn't be included here on the site. We've already got a mecca for most things related to this franchise, I think that for the fanbases involved with these other games it'd only be beneficial.

Take the Hard Hat Challenge. A relatively quick challenge designed to be added into almost any established hood.

Hollow Tune - Brick 'N' Mortar.

{San-Yip-See-Ah}
Site Helper
#20 Old 24th Aug 2013 at 6:32 PM
I actually answered the question that was asked: no, I wouldn't use the forum. (I almost answered "the whatnow games?" but I have actually heard of them... Never actually seen them, but I've heard of them.) But I agree that it would be a good idea. (I also think it would be a good idea to have Stories downloads, considering that DJ has been making things that seem as though they would be useful if you were a Stories player. I'm sure he's not the only one.)

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Instructor
#21 Old 24th Aug 2013 at 7:33 PM
I voted in the poll before any comments had been posted and I said, "Whatnow?" Now I've read the comments and it would be more like, "Oh, yeah...those...". So, no I would not use them. And arguably, I'd say they were not a good idea - unless there were actually people who'd want to use them and not "just 'cuz there ought to be one".
Mad Poster
#22 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 12:03 AM
Well, we do have a TS Medieval subforum, so it would only be fair to have Sims Stories Series Subforum.

I voted 'yes'.
Field Researcher
#23 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 4:17 AM
I voted yes, not because I would post or anything but because I would enjoy seeing all the creativity there.
Instructor
#24 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 2:54 PM
I think that MTS should expand to all versions of the Sims games, stories included. Since TSM has it's own subforum, I believe it would be only fair to give the Stories games a proper subforum. I also think it would clear up any confusions about what is for the Regular TS2 and what is for the Stories ganes.

(◐ω◑)
What kind of Sim loves like this?
(◐ω◑)
Mad Poster
#25 Old 29th Aug 2013 at 3:45 AM
I voted yes, I have all 3 games, I have all the EA/Maxis pre-order stuff for them and have sent them to the Grave Yard and now there hosted there.

I have played all 3 games well over 100 times and know the in's and out's for all 3.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Page 1 of 2