Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jul 2009 at 12:51 PM Last edited by AllHeartAnne : 8th Jul 2009 at 3:30 PM.
[Tutorial] How to build a pool in a lake
A few days ago I posted a modern house with a pool in a pond/lake. I've been asked by a few people to make a tutorial on how I did it, so I made one.

Hope it's helpful!

The house:
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=351955

Step 1.

Choose where you want to build your pool.

Step 2.

Use the 'level terrain' tool to level the terrain where you want to build the pool.
You can also Build the pool first and create a lake/pond around it when done.

Step 3.

You have to delete all objects directly around the pool, except for foundations, walls and fences.

Step 4.

If you want a fence around the pool, place the fence first. You can't place a fence on the pool walls as you could in TS2.

Step 5.

Build the pool.

Step 6.

Use the 'lower terrain' tool to lower the terrain around the pool as much as you want.

Step 7.

Change the pool walls/floors if you want to.

Step 8.

Done!
Screenshots

Anne
*It's As Simple As Something That Nobody Knows*
44 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 5th Jul 2009 at 7:16 PM
Wow! Great IDEA! Thanks for sharing

GiLaNg
After 7 year hiatus, Worldwide lockdown (and regretting the purchase of The Sims 4 last autumn sale) brought me back to The Sims 3.
Test Subject
#3 Old 6th Jul 2009 at 11:05 PM
Oo looks better than i expected. Thanks for the tip! :D
Captain Louie
retired moderator
#4 Old 6th Jul 2009 at 11:35 PM
That is so cool! This is awesome!

Now streaming on at Twitch.tv/SeveralNerds or UglyHoesConnect.com - whichever is easier for you to type in your browser.
Alchemist
#5 Old 7th Jul 2009 at 6:37 AM
WOW!!! Awesome!!! Could really come in handy... Thank you so much! I didn't know it was possible! =P

I gotta go try this :D

Everything sucks, until it doesn't.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 7th Jul 2009 at 10:09 PM
Could you post a screenshot?

Anne
Test Subject
#7 Old 7th Jul 2009 at 10:22 PM
Can you upload the house please? It looks awesome :D
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 8th Jul 2009 at 1:20 AM
That is a great tutorial, easy to read and seems like such a simple process yet it looks totally awesome! Great job AllHeartAnne, and thankyou very much for sharing this!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 8th Jul 2009 at 3:29 PM Last edited by AllHeartAnne : 19th Nov 2009 at 4:16 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by memoriesdecay
Can you upload the house please? It looks awesome :D

There's a link in the first post.

Thanks for the reactions

Anne
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 2:11 PM
wonderful, it makes very original houses, like yours!

the sims 3 has so many ressources!
Test Subject
#11 Old 30th Aug 2009 at 3:58 PM
That is GORGEOUS!!!! - Thanks for the pics and the easy to follow instructions. =0)
Test Subject
#12 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 10:53 PM
Thanks for this! :D

I just tried it but the blue tiled outside rim shows when I lower the ground and I can't change it's style, how did you get past that?
Test Subject
#13 Old 11th Nov 2010 at 6:56 AM
I know this thread is pretty old, but I am trying to get down some basic building techniques, and am having a bit of trouble with this just like the previous poster. I have managed to get the pool in the pond, however, the outer walls of the pool that are in the pond, are grass. I can't have a physical wall there where I can edit texture.

In the screenshot you can see the grass underneath the bottom of the brick fence. I tried to manually add a new wall in, but it told me it had no support. I even tried building a basement underneath it to support a new wall and it still said there was no support for the wall. Does anybody have any ideas?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 13th Nov 2010 at 2:19 PM
Try using the level terrain tool. Use it to level the bottom of the pool next to the pool wall.

Anne
Test Subject
#15 Old 13th Nov 2010 at 3:41 PM
I've not had much luck getting the wall to show. I've tried leveling it several times with and without CFE enabled. I tried dragging through the wall of the pool, but the game wouldn't allow it.

I downloaded and placed your lot in Twinbrook, and had the same problem with the walls on the house you uploaded. I have installed up to the latest patch/EP, so I am wondering if the patch could have broken that mechanic (or fixed it rather). After all, the tutorial was written quite a bit ago so that could be the case.

Thanks for the reply nonetheless!
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 26th Jul 2011 at 9:21 PM
lovely! Thanks for sharing! :3
Top Secret Researcher
#17 Old 29th Jun 2013 at 8:40 AM
erm..I too have problems making the pool wall showing up in the pond like in the OP's first screenshot. I tried leveling too but no luck.
dodgy builder
#18 Old 12th Jul 2013 at 9:42 PM
This tutorial is ancient. How pools work have changed several times. Using constrainfloorelevation you may get the walls down, but basically you would then push the walls of the pool down and have to replace those. The risk is the pool surface will distort and look strange. Another option is to put down tiles first and then lower the terrain, without touching the pool walls themselves. Then you will have the tile you put down as the walls. If you can do the last the pool surface may stay intact, but the pond may vanish. Just give it a try and see what happens.
Test Subject
#19 Old 15th Jul 2015 at 1:14 AM
The problem is you can't lower floor that has tiles on it!!!!
Test Subject
#20 Old 15th Jul 2015 at 7:07 AM
so I used floor paint instead