Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Jun 2009 at 8:39 PM
Default SIMS 3 - Custom animations
Is it possible to create custom animations in SIMS 3, like in SIMS 2?
What kind of tools is necessary and how to do this?
Is it possible to unpack original animations, edit them, then repack?
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 4:33 AM
Were it so simple...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 9:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by wesHowe
Were it so simple...

What do You mean?
Can You give some advises?
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#4 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 9:12 PM
Animations didn't happen for TS2 for -years- after the game was released. Be patient - if it can be done, it will be done eventually, but srsly, it's not even been out a month and people already want animations? Sheesh...

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 10:59 AM
I'm looking for animator creators response. Any tips for start with.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#6 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 11:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
it's not even been out a month and people already want animations?

Expectations have been raised, due to the very quick start that was made on modding tools this time round

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#7 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 11:10 AM
You got a response from Wes, creator of Animesh for TS2... animations are not yet possible, and probably haven't even really been looked at this early in the game.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Alchemist
#8 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 9:58 PM
Well, I can parse the files (thanks to the help of Karybdis and atavera). But I haven't deciphered the framework for the rotations or the frame times.

Analyzing this stuff without a roadmap or specification is tedious work. I know it is based on Granny, but their SDK is on the order of $10,000 or so... quite a ways out of my budget.
Test Subject
#9 Old 10th Jul 2009 at 8:26 PM
It all sounds very forboding (according to HP) and/or technical (according to WH), Well I'll let you gentlemen sort out the technical codey stuff, I've got 31 flavors of modeling software waiting to give my sims some new dance moves.

Though will custom animations require an additional core mod, conflict with Awesome and much hair-pulling trying to get the two2 to play nice?
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 2nd Aug 2009 at 7:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TastyMango
Though will custom animations require an additional core mod, conflict with Awesome and much hair-pulling trying to get the two2 to play nice?

undoubtedly
Tentacle Of Righteousness
#11 Old 2nd Aug 2009 at 7:34 AM
http://www.radgametools.com/sales.htm

Granny 3D One Product Windows, Mac, PSP, or Linux: $12500 US

Alt 255
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned
to a dead channel.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 2nd Aug 2009 at 8:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by reece22345
undoubtedly
Nice necropost there.

Though I do have better answer than "undoubtedly" now. And that is "depends".

If you just want to replace an existing animation with new ones (Or even add new events to existing animation sequences) there are no core mod conflicts.

If you want to add a new item with custom interactions that require new animations, there is no core mod conflict.

It is even possible to add animations to existing situations without the use of a core mod. But doing so isn't as straight forward as a core mod, so don't expect to see many of those.

Of course... This ALL still depends on being able to actually edit animations, so for now, it's still a "no new animations".
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 2nd Aug 2009 at 8:46 AM
O.O I didn't even notice

my bad