Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Jul 2018 at 11:11 PM Last edited by Japalion9 : 13th Jul 2018 at 5:13 AM.
Default Thinking about starting a Tiny House series! Looking for feedback/opinions on the first prototype

Hi there! So I recently started playing Sims 3 again, and decided I wanted to dust off the old building abilities and challenge myself by making homes with limited space, similar to the 'Tiny House' homes that seem to be becoming more and more available each day. This particular house is based on a 5x5 internal space and on a 10x10 lot. The goal in making these is to get everything a sim needs into the house while, of course, also making it look good. I made a few rough 7x7's before this to test, and I found I still had a lot of space left over, so I could certainly go smaller. Before starting though, I did look for inspiration and found This Youtube video from The Sim Supply of a similar build of a 5x5 home build in the Sims 4.

The home I've build is Heavily inspired by that one, if not just a basic recreation of it, without some of the detail work that is possible in the Sims 4.

Everything in the house is functional, save for the bookcase, which can't be used by sims directly, but is still able to be used as storage if you use the 'Open Bookcase' command. I had trouble getting the sink, toilet, and shower to all work in the tiny 2x2 restroom, but found out with the toilet sideways in front of the sink, Sims can sneak around it and use them both.

In the bedroom, a clever work around was used in order for Sims to have a computer to use. Using moveobjects, I was able to create an over-the-bed desk (something I've seen is actual tiny homes). the computer, the chair, and the bed are fully functional, though blankets on the bed sometimes clip into the table when Sims are sleeping, but nothing major.

Finally there is an outdoor patio with a table so sims can have friends over without being too cramped inside.

And that's all I really have to say about it! I guess what I'm looking for here is any feedback on the idea or the design, and just asking whether people think it is worth it to submit this to MTS for others to download? I am definitely going to making more, possibly turning these into a series, and hopefully building them with my own style, even though using someone else's was fun and inspiring.

So yeah, leave some feedback and here's a few more screenshots for your viewing pleasure;

Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 12th Jul 2018 at 11:25 PM
Your inline shots are broken.

Interesting roof. Feel free to submit, just make sure since its TS3 to cast at least 3/4.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#3 Old 12th Jul 2018 at 11:38 PM
There is a creator feedback section here you may want to check out.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 13th Jul 2018 at 5:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
There is a creator feedback section here you may want to check out.

Thanks for pointing that out! I bookmarked it and will be sure to use that next time.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 13th Jul 2018 at 5:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Your inline shots are broken.

Fixed the inlines!... Hopefully :P. Sometimes the abiably to use tags escapes me, dispite having used them since I was like six.

just make sure since its TS3 to cast at least 3/4.

Sorry, maybe I'm just being daft, but can I ask what you mean by this?
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#6 Old 14th Jul 2018 at 10:05 AM
The way I understood this is that at least three quarters of the items you use should be recoloured in Create-A-Style by you, as opposed to simply using the presets offered by the game.
dodgy builder
#7 Old 14th Jul 2018 at 12:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Japalion9
Fixed the inlines!... Hopefully :P. Sometimes the abiably to use tags escapes me, dispite having used them since I was like six.

Sorry, maybe I'm just being daft, but can I ask what you mean by this?

I can see your inlines now. For ts3 you have to use the tool you have to recolor channels and textures. I guess you have used it before, but perhaps I'm wrong. You can insert colorcodes and do all kinds of changes to a chosen wall.

That is perhaps my biggest suggestion for you. Find an online colorpalette maker and choose colors that fit, then you can use CAST or create-a-style to do all kinds of changes. It's really an amazing tool.

Another thing I was thinking about is the bathroom. I was wondering, do you really need a dresser in the house, can't you have more counters under the tv instead, making it possible to have a sink there somewhere?
I usually build in 4 these days, so I might have confused things a bit.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 14th Jul 2018 at 12:31 PM
@Japalion9 Sorry I meant CAST, my cast probably threw you off. -I am not a TS3 player. The queue mod for Sims 3 will want to see that you changed colours on items.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 14th Jul 2018 at 10:31 PM Last edited by Japalion9 : 14th Jul 2018 at 10:44 PM.
@Japalion9 Sorry I meant CAST, my cast probably threw you off. -I am not a TS3 player. The queue mod for Sims 3 will want to see that you changed colours on items.

Oh, okay, thanks! I think in this one I already CASTed most items and especially the wall coverings, but I'll definitely keep that in mind!

ETA: annnd 2 seconds after posting I decided to change up a bit more of the colors. It was probably really needed XD
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 14th Jul 2018 at 10:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
That is perhaps my biggest suggestion for you. Find an online colorpalette maker and choose colors that fit, then you can use CAST or create-a-style to do all kinds of changes. It's really an amazing tool.

Another thing I was thinking about is the bathroom. I was wondering, do you really need a dresser in the house, can't you have more counters under the tv instead, making it possible to have a sink there somewhere?

I'll definitely take that advice on the color palette, thanks! I've always been pretty weak on keeping to a more limited but probably better looking set of colors. I blame it on the fact I had 4 different colored walls in my bedroom as a kid because I was so indecisive xP

I think I can actually try to fit a sink into the kitchen area still. There's a slot between the bathroom wall and the kitchen that I can really use for something, and if I remember correctly, sims can use a corner counter as the food prep space, so I'm gonna tinker around with that to try to make a kitchen sink viable. I do want to keep the dresser for now as I think it fits really well there under the TV even though it's not being used as a stand, though I'm thinking of swapping the TV out for a more CC stand up one, so the dresser is probably the first thing to go if needed.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 14th Jul 2018 at 10:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Don Babilon
The way I understood this is that at least three quarters of the items you use should be recoloured in Create-A-Style by you, as opposed to simply using the presets offered by the game.

That sounds about right, I'll try to stick to that rule of thumb