Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Feb 2018 at 12:11 AM
Default Disease Hack
Ok so I recently downloaded the disease hack to my game and it just made my game hell, My sim got sick with a cold and he literally died of said cold within 12 hours of contracting it! What I am looking for is a mod that just makes it a bit more difficult to cure sickness (not impossible) and one that surely does not kill a sim within 12 hours, last I thought sims couldn't even die of the common cold and it would just go into pneumonia. Anyway, are there any other know disease mods? If not how do I make one because I'm sick of Maxis's disease controller
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 6th Feb 2018 at 12:46 AM
This disease hack? http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...pic,8062.0.html

If so, did you make sure that you downloaded the file linked to in the first post rather than the one attached to the first post, as the first post one had problems that did let sims die ridiculously fast.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Feb 2018 at 1:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
This disease hack? http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...pic,8062.0.html

If so, did you make sure that you downloaded the file linked to in the first post rather than the one attached to the first post, as the first post one had problems that did let sims die ridiculously fast.

I did the second one
Mad Poster
#4 Old 6th Feb 2018 at 2:25 AM
Realsickness mod does not make it impossible for your sims to get better, but you'll need to work for.
-Don't send your sim to work/school, they might come back just to die before they reach the front door.
-Relax on a bed, lounge on a couch, rest! When the game tells you that they will be better if they do not spend too much time standing up? With this mod, it becomes a necessity.
If you ignore all this, then yes. Your sim might just die in no time with this mod.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Mad Poster
#5 Old 6th Feb 2018 at 2:32 AM
I still thought that colds weren't fatal. Are you sure it hadn't progressed into pneumonia?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 6th Feb 2018 at 10:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
I still thought that colds weren't fatal. Are you sure it hadn't progressed into pneumonia?

I never got the notification saying it had progressed into pneumonia so no and I honestly thought you sims had 9 days before sickness killed them
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 6th Feb 2018 at 10:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
Realsickness mod does not make it impossible for your sims to get better, but you'll need to work for.
-Don't send your sim to work/school, they might come back just to die before they reach the front door.
-Relax on a bed, lounge on a couch, rest! When the game tells you that they will be better if they do not spend too much time standing up? With this mod, it becomes a necessity.
If you ignore all this, then yes. Your sim might just die in no time with this mod.

It basically was impossible it killed my sim within 12 hours and he did rest all day
Mad Poster
#8 Old 6th Feb 2018 at 10:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by zkettell
It basically was impossible it killed my sim within 12 hours and he did rest all day

My condolences.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 6th Feb 2018 at 11:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
My condolences.

I took the mod out and for some reason I think it is in effect still because I have another sim who has the flu and she's not getting better and usually in my game the fl resolves within a few hours
Mad Poster
#10 Old 6th Feb 2018 at 11:27 PM
Maybe she caught it just before you removed the hack..?
Orange juice from the juicer, or grandma comfort soup is supposed to cure this...so if ever you need.

Mad Poster
#11 Old 7th Feb 2018 at 10:45 AM
I had a sim come home from work with a cold once. I sent him to bed and not long after that he died - no announcement, no warning, nothing. I think I did have the disease hack in at the time, but I could swear that I read somewhere (MATY?) that this was a known bug in the game (dying from a cold with no warning). Naturally I can't find any mention of this now. Google is no help and I can't seem to find any mention of it at MATY either.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 7th Feb 2018 at 11:06 AM
I use this realistic sickness mod as well, and Grandma's Comfort soup so far has a 100% cured rate. I didn't even have to work harder, which probably means it was somewhat pointless for me to put this hack in my game.

But on a more helpful note, the batbox has an option where you can check what illnesses your sim has. I think it's labeled "plague info." This will tell you if your sim has a cold or pneumonia in case the message doesn't appear.
Theorist
#13 Old 7th Feb 2018 at 11:52 AM
As far as I can tell from my own experience and from what I read online, the "realistic" sickness mod has never really been fixed/adjusted correctly. Some versions in that thread are more broken than others, but they can all lead to sudden, quick death, even if a Sim is well cared for. Even from things like flu (without pneumonia). It should really be called the "Burbonic Plague" mod.

I only use it when I start out with a Post-Apcalypse hood to simulate rampant radiation sickness.
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 9th Feb 2018 at 8:50 PM
I wish that mod worked for me. I haven't had a Sim die yet...
Test Subject
#15 Old 9th Feb 2018 at 10:25 PM Last edited by gordyfl : 10th Feb 2018 at 2:01 AM.
The real-Sickness hack found on MATY is unnecessarily complicated and apparently broken beyond repair. It essentially is a death sentence for every sim in the neighborhood. The time it takes for the mod to kill may vary according to your style of game play and possibly other factors but it will eventually kill all your sims. Guaranteed! Like was mentioned above, other versions of the mod are just less broken. It was never fixed or finished and is deeply flawed by design!

A few years ago I made a very simple mod that actually does what real-Sickness claims to do without killing everyone.
It works perfectly in my game. My mod makes it quite a bit harder for Sims to recover but Sims that are taken care of will still recover at a reasonable rate. It just won't be as easy as the Maxis default. Sims that are left to take care of themselves will eventually get better on their own. Sims will still occasionally die from disease if neglected and especially if they have multiple diseases although from my testing this has been fairly rare. I pretty much let my Sims care for themselves so this version works perfect for me. Perhaps I need to make another more challenging version.

My hack just modifies the BCON that controls the rate of recovery. Very simple.
If people are interested let me know and I may consider submitting it to downloads.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 9th Feb 2018 at 10:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gordyfl
The real-Sickness hack found on MATY is unnecessarily complicated and apparently broken beyond repair. It essentially is a death sentence for every sim in the neighborhood. The time it takes for the mod to kill may vary according to your style of game play and possibly other factors but it will eventually kill all your sims. Guaranteed!

Obviously this is not true as many of us have reported using this mod in our games for quite some time and not having one single sim die yet.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 9th Feb 2018 at 11:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by zkettell
Ok so I recently downloaded the disease hack to my game and it just made my game hell, My sim got sick with a cold and he literally died of said cold within 12 hours of contracting it!
Oh! I don't like the sound of that! I've got a bad cold just now.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Test Subject
#18 Old 10th Feb 2018 at 2:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosawyn
Obviously this is not true as many of us have reported using this mod in our games for quite some time and not having one single sim die yet.

I understand all that and I see your reference to Grandma's Comfort Soup.
That's why I said "The time it takes for the mod to kill may vary according to your style of game play and possibly other factors"
It clearly works for some people but I think if you read the comments over at MATY and search the internet for other threads on the topic you will find that it does not work so well for the majority of people.

The so called improved version killed about 25% of my neighborhood in just one rotation.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 10th Feb 2018 at 7:09 PM
The so called improved version killed about 25% of my neighborhood in just one rotation.

I didn't even last one rotation-- it decimated six of eight sims in a household within three days and I pulled it out immediately.

I like the occasional accidental death in my hood (was so excited when my legacy heir accidentally died of satellite two weeks ago when I haven't had it happen in a solid decade at this point, even with the increased checks mod installed for half of that) and it annoys me I have to go out of my way for disease death, but this mod was too much. I'm itching for a more deadly disease mod... but not this one.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 10th Feb 2018 at 11:10 PM Last edited by AndrewGloria : 11th Feb 2018 at 12:29 AM. Reason: typo
A few years ago I made a very simple mod that actually does what real-Sickness claims to do without killing everyone. It works perfectly in my game. My mod makes it quite a bit harder for Sims to recover but Sims that are taken care of will still recover at a reasonable rate. It just won't be as easy as the Maxis default. Sims that are left to take care of themselves will eventually get better on their own. Sims will still occasionally die from disease if neglected and especially if they have multiple diseases although from my testing this has been fairly rare. I pretty much let my Sims care for themselves so this version works perfect for me. Perhaps I need to make another more challenging version.

My hack just modifies the BCON that controls the rate of recovery. Very simple.
If people are interested let me know and I may consider submitting it to downloads.
@gordyfl you really should try to upload that hack. As you've noticed yourself, there are obviously quite a lot of people who are dissatisfied with the MATY one.

But for myself I'm not convinced of the need for these "realistic" sickness mods, at least for those of us playing modern 'hoods set in developed lands. For us the Maxis approach to sickness seems just about right -- during our lives we get dozens, maybe hundreds of little illnesses, and, provided we take reasonable care, we recover from them all. Of course there is for most of us one final disease from which we don't recover, and then it's our turn to meet the Grim Reaper, but for most of our lives the pattern is to become ill and then to get better. (On the other hand, if you're playing a medieval 'hood at the time of the Black Death, the MATY mod would be about right. Communities were devastated when 50% of the population and more were wiped out in a matter of days.)

So hopefully I'll recover from my cold soon and I'll be back to normal, but I suppose there is a chance it could go onto my chest, and might develop into pneumonia, and then it could kill me, just as it can kill a Sim who doesn't take proper care, even in a vanilla game, but I think we can agree that it's unlikely. I've already done better than OP's Sim -- I've lasted longer than 12 hours.

By the way, should the unexpected happen, and like OP's Sim, this cold indeed turns out to be my final illness (and you'll know that to be the case if I suddenly stop posting in these forums) my last wish is that I be laid to rest in the Eternity Acre cemetery in Veronaville, in the shade of the ancient Parish Church of St. Simeon.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 1:09 AM
Sometimes it runs through a family and one or two may die, but they generally have not DONE WHAT I TOLD THEM TO DO! I always instruct them to rest or study something that lets them sit down. 100 times out of 100 if my sim dies I've seen him having a pillow fight, engage in long animated conversation or swim in the dumb pool, things I've told them not to do.

I try to keep a close eye on them, though, to try to keep it from happening. But, honestly, some of them are so intent upon it, it's like they're committing suicide.

What happens when they come home and suddenly die, I believe, is that you don't get the notice they are sick unless they are home. If you do, they're already at work and the damage is being done. Work is very stressful, so it saps their reserves, and they die. I once had parents of newborns go to work the second their children were born and die the second they got home.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Mad Poster
#22 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 2:49 AM
I've never had a problem with the fixed version of real sickness. None of my sims have died from it.