Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st May 2017 at 8:08 PM
Default Transparent areas are totally invisible?
Areas on these objects that are supposed to be transparent only seem to work down to about 90% opacity, and everything below that is totally invisible, instead of partially transparent. I can see the transparent areas if I hover over the object with the Recolor Tool, but not when looking at it normally. Here's an example of what I mean:

They also look pretty much correct if I preview them in SimPE. So basically it's only during regular gameplay that they won't show up. I've been trying to fix this for two days but the problem persists, and I'm mystified as to why it is happening at all.

I have read Pixelhate's guide on how textures work and what can be done by editing TXMT's. I've applied that knowledge successfully in the past, so I know that 1) my methods are (at least sometimes) sound and 2) my game doesn't have some weird issue that prevents me from seeing transparency. I re-read the guide but can't see anything I forgot or that I'm doing wrong. I have tried cloning and re-cloning different object bases in case whatever I had started with was just buggy, or not good for what I was trying to do. No dice, same problem every time.

The transparent parts were originally supposed to be luminescent (since they're forcefields/holograms)... but I also tried making non-luminescent versions of each object in case transparency and luminescence just can't be active on the same texture. Even the non-luminescent versions have the same issue, so I think the culprit must be something else?

The files in question are here for anyone generous enough to take a look. With everything I've tried, I've probably done it wrong six different ways by now... what should I have done differently to make it work?
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 2nd May 2017 at 3:48 PM
Set the value for stdMatAlphaTestEnabled to 0. When that's on or has a value of 1 then if the alpha is below the stdMatAlphaRefValue (in this case 127) then it's completely transparent. As a rule of thumb the stdMatAlphaTestEnabled should always be off when the stdMatAlphaBlendMode is set to blend.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd May 2017 at 10:45 PM
That's exactly what it was! Thank you!