1 people viewing
Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#12476 Old 28th Feb 2018 at 12:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by frogz2007
Does anybody else's computer make a weird noise before Sims 2 starts up? It's like a very high-frequency hiss.

Could be either the fan whirring up or the hard drive chattering. Just hope you never hear the click of death.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Advertisement
Alchemist
#12477 Old 28th Feb 2018 at 1:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
I do not personally use them, but how about taking the time to gather sofas and their cushions into a collection? One for each...

Don't touch the names, replace the textures. Export the dark ones, replace the light ones with them.

Thanks!
Mad Poster
#12478 Old 28th Feb 2018 at 11:35 AM
@BlueAlien - I use the pet feeder that was extracted from Pet Stories. I don't know if it will help with your problem, but it doesn't rotate around and become inaccessible/unusable like the food dishes from Pets. It also never needs cleaning, so you shouldn't have to worry about finicky pets refusing to eat from it.

I posted a picture of it here:
https://www.modthesims.info/showthr...281#post5269281

Download it here (ps_autopetfood.zip)
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/f...p?dir=psconv%2F
Field Researcher
#12479 Old 28th Feb 2018 at 12:59 PM
@lordtyger9: I managed to post the tutorial on how to increase the maximum file limit late on Monday, and it's here: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=608063. I've linked to your instructions on creating the plist files for current versions of OS X/macOS at the end. They were very useful when I finally got around to increasing the limits for my own game, since although the information is available on a number of technical forums it was good to find a Sims 2-specific version that confirmed that it was working for the game rather than just for someone's database tool run from Terminal.

As I say there, I've not been able to find documentation on the official upper limit for maxfiles, though it's likely to vary according to how much RAM you've got. 65536 is a magic number in computing (16-bit register limit), so it's a safe one to go for and a lot of people have already set that value (for Sims 2 and otherwise) without any major problems being reported. Though people without much RAM should probably be conservative and just double the default amount. maxfilesperproc is best kept lower than maxfiles, to make room for the OS and other applications to open files at the same time. And maxproc is a weird one. In theory you can increase it by up to 2500 for every 8GB of RAM you have, but in practice I found that if you set it to anything higher than 2500 (even 2501!) the OS will ignore it entirely.

Incidentally, you don't need the ulimit bit at all. That only works for setting the values for a Terminal session or the profile picked up by a specific shell, and Sims 2 doesn't launch via either of those. You can type "ulimit -a" in Terminal though, and it'll show you the user values that have been set from your plist files (maxfilesperproc and maxprocperuid).

I'm not sure I ever saw your instructions on adding the CEP. Was it in the Super Collection megathread that ran for a while after Aspyr re-released the game, when we were all poking around and trying to figure out where things had moved to because of the Mac App Store sandboxing? It needs more exposure, I agree, since it's something a lot of people are likely to want to add to their game.
Top Secret Researcher
#12480 Old 28th Feb 2018 at 4:26 PM Last edited by lordtyger9 : 28th Feb 2018 at 5:09 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by muridae
@lordtyger9: I managed to post the tutorial on how to increase the maximum file limit late on Monday, and it's here: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=608063. I've linked to your instructions on creating the plist files for current versions of OS X/macOS at the end. They were very useful when I finally got around to increasing the limits for my own game, since although the information is available on a number of technical forums it was good to find a Sims 2-specific version that confirmed that it was working for the game rather than just for someone's database tool run from Terminal.

As I say there, I've not been able to find documentation on the official upper limit for maxfiles, though it's likely to vary according to how much RAM you've got. 65536 is a magic number in computing (16-bit register limit), so it's a safe one to go for and a lot of people have already set that value (for Sims 2 and otherwise) without any major problems being reported. Though people without much RAM should probably be conservative and just double the default amount. maxfilesperproc is best kept lower than maxfiles, to make room for the OS and other applications to open files at the same time. And maxproc is a weird one. In theory you can increase it by up to 2500 for every 8GB of RAM you have, but in practice I found that if you set it to anything higher than 2500 (even 2501!) the OS will ignore it entirely.

Incidentally, you don't need the ulimit bit at all. That only works for setting the values for a Terminal session or the profile picked up by a specific shell, and Sims 2 doesn't launch via either of those. You can type "ulimit -a" in Terminal though, and it'll show you the user values that have been set from your plist files (maxfilesperproc and maxprocperuid).

I'm not sure I ever saw your instructions on adding the CEP. Was it in the Super Collection megathread that ran for a while after Aspyr re-released the game, when we were all poking around and trying to figure out where things had moved to because of the Mac App Store sandboxing? It needs more exposure, I agree, since it's something a lot of people are likely to want to add to their game.

@muridae

I found the information regarding changing the Mac's Max Number of Open Files on a Technical Forum, it was written for Mac OS X Yosemite and rather bare bones, I added some more instructions on how to set the proper ownership and permissions, since it did not come with any instructions on how to do it, just what they needed to be. I just didn't add all that much more handholding as I was comfortable with it being somewhat technical. I am glad that you found my post useful.

Stuff gets forgotten or buied here sometimes. Here is a link to my post on adding the CEP to the Super Collection.

instructions for installing CEP in Sims 2 Super Collection Mac

Note that it works great for me.

On exceeding the Max Number of Open Files Limit, It took me quite a while and several attempts to at other fixes recommended by ASPYR that did not address the underlying cause. So this is something on how to determine if you need to adjust the Max Number of Open Files.

Info on how to figure out if your Mac has reached the Max Open Files Limit.
Mac Misbehaviour with Crashes & the Maximum Open Files Limit

Could you link to the preceeding post of mine?

Note that I looked at your instructions on Increasing the Mac's Max Open File Limit and you did an excellent job from what I can tell. You write very well.

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.
Lab Assistant
#12481 Old 28th Feb 2018 at 5:02 PM Last edited by TuxxedoCat : 28th Feb 2018 at 5:45 PM.
One of my sims married an apartment landlord; she works fine in-game, however SimPE is saying she doesn't have character data. It's making me slightly nervous, to be honest.

ETA: Found this thread that had the same issue as me: http://modthesims.info/t/510911
Hmmm...

Both this landlord and the one the game generated after I married her in have character files ending in .1
However the other one shows up fine in SimPE

I have a backup, but I'd lose a bunch of progress... I understand there might be some broken data, but I guess I will continue playing the hood and just make backups. I haven't noticed any signs of corruption thus far, but of course it could go downhill fast... On the bright side I haven't been playing this hood for too long, losing it would be sad, but not devastating.

ETA again: I should probably Google more before posting anything
According to this (quite recent) thread I should not be very worried: http://modthesims.info/t/606367
That's a relief, the .1 character files are probably from the fact that I have the Townie Body Diversity mod, or at least I'd guess they're from that.
Field Researcher
#12482 Old 28th Feb 2018 at 6:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
I never have a TV set in my sim homes so forgive this really basic question, but can't I change the channel? I remember being able to choose, but maybe that was in Sims 1?
Anyway, I built a sports bar and just want the TVs to show sports, not sports, then xmas shows and teletubby look-a-likes!

@Sunrader there is a mod to stop that. http://www.insimenator.org/showthread.php?t=92547
Theorist
#12483 Old 1st Mar 2018 at 5:20 PM
1. I use a names replacement default. In my new hood, female NPC are named Annie while male NPC are named Antoine. I play with no regen mods and this default is in my game since forever.
Sadorandom or...

2. I make the NPC sims look like my playables (newspaper girl, mail-woman and firefighter). All of them are female.
Is it possible to make them male if I wanted to?
Inventor
#12484 Old 1st Mar 2018 at 5:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Essa
1. I use a names replacement default. In my new hood, female NPC are named Annie while male NPC are named Antoine. I play with no regen mods and this default is in my game since forever.
Sadorandom or...

2. I make the NPC sims look like my playables (newspaper girl, mail-woman and firefighter). All of them are female.

Before I generate NPCs (and townies if not custom-made), I roll the pacifier in CAS because I noticed that I kept getting Addie, Adelaide, Addison, and so on. I guess the name generator is stuck unless I play around with the randomizer ahead of time.

To change genders: http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Game_gui..._Sim%27s_gender.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#12485 Old 1st Mar 2018 at 11:40 PM
Can I just change names of default skin files to replace them, or is it much more complicated than that? I don't like the range of skins we have for default and I've looked at lots, but the thing is, I practically never use the lightest, so i was wondering if I could just replace that one with one of the dark ones, so that two skin types would have the same darker tone. This should make a lot of pale pre-mades change immediately. Would that work?

No sorry - it's the internal identity code that matters not the filename - you can rename CC to any blasted filename you like. Still works just as it did before.
Quote: Originally posted by Essa
Sadorandom or...

I'm sorry to report I randomly copy over them time and time again - various genders. It's never been a problem but if you're concerned, you can change the gender in SimPE too. I should add though I never make NPCs or townies playable.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Theorist
#12486 Old 2nd Mar 2018 at 9:37 AM
Thanks @Sketching and m@maxon

My hood is new and I wanted to to things differently.

I may add that NPC are game generated. I don't make them playable.

Townies are another story. I quit batch generating them. I now turn hobby leaders into townies or create custom ones.
They're acting as tourists to add money to the economy and they also can be potential partners.
Alchemist
#12487 Old 2nd Mar 2018 at 1:25 PM
1) Is it possible to edit the description of existing neighborhoods?

2) I have read ways to delete more than one tile at a time with the sledgehammer in build mode, but I have never gotten it to work. I must be doing something wrong? Any hints?
Inventor
#12488 Old 2nd Mar 2018 at 1:31 PM
1) Is it possible to edit the description of existing neighborhoods?

Sure. Below the picture of the neighborhood on the neighborhood selection screen, you can click on the description and edit it to your liking. It also works for subhoods.
#12489 Old 2nd Mar 2018 at 1:49 PM
is there a tutorial anywhere on how exactly to make everything in the UC read only? (Second disc of nightlife suddenly had missing files during install so after an hour with EA support they gave me it) I keep noticing files being updated to the current date rather than install date and i think it's why my game keeps crashing 5 minutes into session while only being in neighborhood view (it's def not mod related because i have less than 24 hours played on it total and i'm still curating everything i had on my old computer.) Repair game might work too? but i don't know what files I'd have to redo again afterwards.
Alchemist
#12490 Old 2nd Mar 2018 at 2:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sketching
Sure. Below the picture of the neighborhood on the neighborhood selection screen, you can click on the description and edit it to your liking. It also works for subhoods.

Oh! Thanks. I was looking all this time for an edit button or something. I'm so glad these are "stupid" questions.
Top Secret Researcher
#12491 Old 2nd Mar 2018 at 9:09 PM
2) I have read ways to delete more than one tile at a time with the sledgehammer in build mode, but I have never gotten it to work. I must be doing something wrong? Any hints?

I have not heard of such a thing being possible. AFAIK the sledgehammer tool in The Sims 2 only removes one object at a time; it is The Sims 3's sledgehammer tool that can flatten multiple tiles at once. Can you link us to some of these "ways" you've found on the Internet?
Lab Assistant
#12492 Old 2nd Mar 2018 at 11:08 PM
Is it possible to get more aspiration benefit points?
Mad Poster
#12493 Old 2nd Mar 2018 at 11:12 PM
More than what, exactly?

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Alchemist
#12494 Old 3rd Mar 2018 at 12:12 AM Last edited by Sunrader : 3rd Mar 2018 at 12:17 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by k6ka
I have not heard of such a thing being possible. AFAIK the sledgehammer tool in The Sims 2 only removes one object at a time; it is The Sims 3's sledgehammer tool that can flatten multiple tiles at once. Can you link us to some of these "ways" you've found on the Internet?

Maybe that's why they don't work. @k6ka Here's one that describes using a click and drag and also a ctrl+rightclick drag.
https://www.wikihow.com/Delete-Walls-in-Sims-2
Mad Poster
#12495 Old 3rd Mar 2018 at 12:16 AM
Does anyone know if it's possible to modify the interest rates of the loans available on Monique's hacked computer?

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Lab Assistant
#12496 Old 3rd Mar 2018 at 12:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
More than what, exactly?

More than the basic amount they allot your new character. I am just wondering if it is possible to gain any extra at all and if so, how.
Mad Poster
#12497 Old 3rd Mar 2018 at 12:23 AM
Without any hacks - if you enable testing cheats and either shift- or ctrl-click on wants, it fulfills them and the asp points go up. I think InSim or the Manipulator can also modify them - not sure about the Blender, though.

Lab Assistant
#12498 Old 3rd Mar 2018 at 12:26 AM
To clarify, I mean the stuff that gives your sims the extra perks, such as their secondary aspiration and slower mood decay. I am not talking about the points that go towards the special items you can buy. Sorry, I should have been more clear on that.
Mad Poster
#12499 Old 3rd Mar 2018 at 12:31 AM
Oh. Pescado's FFS Lot Debugger can add those. There's an Upgrade option for FreeTime and it adds the perks for stuff that fresh-out-of-CAS Sims don't usually get. You can also give them a Uni degree for the extra want slots.

Field Researcher
#12500 Old 3rd Mar 2018 at 12:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SimmingSince7
To clarify, I mean the stuff that gives your sims the extra perks, such as their secondary aspiration and slower mood decay. I am not talking about the points that go towards the special items you can buy. Sorry, I should have been more clear on that.

If you're just asking about gameplay, and not how to cheat those points up, your sim earns them over time as they encounter major life events and earn the "money" points.

http://kahonseecity.livejournal.com/ < - New Prosperity Challenge. Last update: 6/9/14
Page 500 of 1345