Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Aug 2017 at 1:26 AM
Default Adoption Agency Community Lot
This is a lot I want to upload for the monthly theme, and I *think* I have it on the right track now, since I had some help/suggestions getting it this far from the Mentoring for Builders thread. Some people who regularly post here, I have not seen there, and I am seeking a few more opinions... so cross-post! It is meant to be an adoption agency and is 99% CC-free, although I have no issues uploading two versions or just CC free and suggest the adoption cribs.

...ANYWHO! Here is my pic spam below since I didn't want to have a whole page of huge pics, they are attachments. Feedback is totally welcome, especially since I still struggle with the roofing options and exterior siding. I am also thinking of adding some windows to the "nanny corner" (with the puffy recliner/rug area) to make it more cheery. Thanks guys and please be gentle. :lovestruc
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 28th Aug 2017 at 2:23 AM
Why privacy windows in the breakroom? The curb appeal is good but the back view is ugly, with no windows or landscaping. I don't see any way to feed the babies/toddlers who'd go in the cribs, and you can't get bottles on a community lot, though you can feed a toddler in a high chair.

It's an attractive and cheerful lot and I don't see any obvious route failures, but a little rearranging to add a refrigerator and put full-size windows in the breakarea without blocking any of them would be worthwhile.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Aug 2017 at 2:47 AM Last edited by Goldenbtrfly : 28th Aug 2017 at 2:54 AM. Reason: clarity on cribs
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Why privacy windows in the breakroom? The curb appeal is good but the back view is ugly, with no windows or landscaping. I don't see any way to feed the babies/toddlers who'd go in the cribs, and you can't get bottles on a community lot, though you can feed a toddler in a high chair.

It's an attractive and cheerful lot and I don't see any obvious route failures, but a little rearranging to add a refrigerator and put full-size windows in the breakarea without blocking any of them would be worthwhile.

Well, it's technically not a breakroom, just a little area for "waiting potential parents". It's meant to adopt kids, not really have them on the lot at all. (So the crib area is just for show, unless you have Chris Hatch's adoption cribs. Info on CH orphan display cots HERE.) To be honest, I didn't even know what to slap in that empty corner and just made it a little snack area so my pics wouldn't be empty, but that was days ago. I'm such a symmatrist (haha, yup just made that one up!) that I just figured privacy windows would go there, but I will certainly swap them out! I'll also see about removing some items from the walls in the nursery so I can place more windows.

I agree the back is... unappealing. I typically fail hard at landscaping, so I'm not really sure HOW to proceed on decorating the backside of lot. I'll browse some uploads for inspiration I guess. I admit, I don't ever do much with the backs, since it's... the back. Thanks for the feedback!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 28th Aug 2017 at 2:50 AM
Looking good GB, the only thing I would do is move the public phone around the side since it looks ugly right in front of the door.

I don't think a fridge matters since babies are not being fed here, it's like a pet shop Peni, but for babies.

If it was my lot I would add some more landscaping but its still okay as it is. Take a look at lots uploaded here for small side and back ideas. I tend to do something like flower-tiny tree-flower and edge it in some kind of low fence, or sometimes I do flower-street lamp-flower. I just do say 3 of those evenly spaced across a side or back.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 28th Aug 2017 at 2:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Looking good GB, the only thing I would do is move the public phone around the side since it looks ugly right in front of the door.

I don't think a fridge matters since babies are not being fed here, it's like a pet shop Peni, but for babies.

If it was my lot I would add some more landscaping but its still okay as it is. Take a look at lots uploaded here for small side and back ideas. I tend to do something like flower-tiny tree-flower and edge it in some kind of low fence, or sometimes I do flower-street lamp-flower. I just do say 3 of those evenly spaced across a side or back.

Haha, good call, Jo! I was eyeballing that public phone too, and wondering if I should relocate it. I can certainly toss in a mini-fridge for funsies.
I certainly will be looking at some lots here for inspiration. The struggle is REAL when it comes to landscaping. Thank you for the advice!

As far as names: Wee Ones Adoption Agency?
Mad Poster
#6 Old 28th Aug 2017 at 9:25 AM
A very nice lot again Good idea too!

I will put a nice fence around the sides and back.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 28th Aug 2017 at 6:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
A very nice lot again Good idea too!

I will put a nice fence around the sides and back.

Thanks much! :D
I was thinking about the fence idea too to keep side access restricted.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 6th Sep 2017 at 12:07 AM
Cross-post from group...
OK guys, thank you all for the help so far. VERY appreciated! I *think* this should be the last round of pics (or at least I HOPE)...

1. Front view. Phone moved to the sides ("booth added"), garbage bins moved to side of the bench and streetlamps added.
2. Lobby area. Better seating (benches removed) and small coffee table deco.
3, 3a, and 3b. Just to show close-ups of the side landscaping and the moved phone booth.
4. Nanny area - windows added and quilt.
5. Window clings added to outside of nursery/adoption section.
6. Hard to see, but the fountain is lined up with the window. Calming effect of water for the babies?
7 - 11. Landscaping/fence pics of the back. I did simple daisies, a few trees and some shrubs. I will swap out the dolphins for some shrubby lupin, so they don't count as CC.

Please do let me know if you see anything odd! Thank you again. :lovestruc
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 6th Sep 2017 at 12:34 AM
Very nice -you realize the dolphin shrub is Maxis CC?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#10 Old 6th Sep 2017 at 12:40 AM
The back looks much nicer now, but how do the gardeners get into the enclosed area to water the flowers and maintain the shrubs? I know it's a community lot and doesn't really have gardeners, but it's the sort of detail the mods and players will notice. And the nannies should be able to go back there and smell the flowers once in awhile.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 6th Sep 2017 at 12:49 AM
Thanks, Peni! Yeah, I thought about that, and wasn't sure how to tackle that, so thanks for mentioning it. Now I have to deal with it, haha! Hmmm. I may just have to lose a window so we can gain an entrance/exit of some sort. I also couldn't find a gate that looks decent for the fence (and I really want to keep that fence!).

@joandsarah77 - Yup. I mentioned it in my notes for 7- 11. I will swap them for shrubby lupin! No worries and thanks for making sure I catch it.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 6th Sep 2017 at 1:25 AM
With the garden you have a few choices. Mention to people that if they run this as an owned lot they will either need an inaccessible plant mod or a perfect plant mod or a gate or change it so it's usable vanilla. Deco/plant items don't have to be accessible in your floor plan but it is nice to say so and give options to make it play. Plants in fountains/up on stages, behind fences is a normal part of decorating, so don't worry if they are not accessible vanilla just mention the mods. We would rather see a nicely done garden than a plain strip.

~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 6th Sep 2017 at 1:53 AM
Flowers on stages might be really cute, so I may play with that for a bit. (I like my strip of flowers. I think I just deal more in simplicity when it comes to gardens.) I think I'll just plop a door in the "break room" to give access to the back. I'm not tired of messing with it yet which is good. I also know that players will "fix it up" as they see fit when they get it, so all the things I do/don't add, someone will!
Mad Poster
#14 Old 6th Sep 2017 at 8:25 PM
Looking good I like the strip of flowers myself, so I would not change that.
A back door is a good idea.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15 Old 6th Sep 2017 at 10:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Goldenbtrfly
Flowers on stages might be really cute, so I may play with that for a bit. (I like my strip of flowers. I think I just deal more in simplicity when it comes to gardens.) I think I'll just plop a door in the "break room" to give access to the back. I'm not tired of messing with it yet which is good. I also know that players will "fix it up" as they see fit when they get it, so all the things I do/don't add, someone will!

Sorry I think you got the wrong idea of what I was saying. I wasn't saying you can't have a strip I was trying to say if you want plants on a stage, behind a fence or up on a ledge or in anyway inaccessible that it's okay to do so. If you like the design that you have with no way for sims to get to the flowers that is okay, it does not need fixing. I had the idea that maybe you thought you would get marked down for inaccessible plants. The landscape rubric is on beauty not function. We don't judge you for having plants that are not accessible. If you do though it's nice to link to a gardening mod.

~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#16 Old 7th Sep 2017 at 2:12 AM
Thanks, Justpetro.

Ahhh, OK. Yes, Jo, I sure did misunderstand! I hope to take pics and upload it tomorrow. I certainly will add a door.