Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Theorist
#901 Old 6th Nov 2023 at 3:50 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 30th Dec 2023 at 10:06 PM.
Onoda: 10,000 Nights in the Jungle (2022, Japan et al, subtitled): In denial about Japan’s surrender, a World War II Imperial Army officer stationed at a Philippine island keeps up the fight for another 30 years.
My comment: At almost three hours, this probably could have been edited down by an hour and not lost much. As it was, I dozed off for about a half hour sometime during the second hour, before resuming the following night, and it didn't seem I missed much. For someone in the mood to watch something that at times get as tedious as life in jungle caves and huts, this might be a good watch. Meh, I'll call it on the lower end of Good.
Good (6-8)
Advertisement
Theorist
#902 Old 9th Nov 2023 at 3:51 PM Last edited by ScaryRob : 30th Dec 2023 at 10:06 PM.
Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion (1970, Italy, subtitled): When a powerful homicide police chief murders his mistress, he plants phony evidence but deliberately leaves behind clues that lead detectives to him.
My comment: The movie's premise (a study in psychopathy) is okay, but it's execution is terrible. Also, after about an hour, the constant yelling gets old. Also, a lot of cheek pinching and ear twisting - Italian stereotypes promoted by...Italians.
Mediocre (4-6)
Mad Poster
#903 Old 9th Nov 2023 at 7:55 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 18th Nov 2023 at 6:55 PM.
Moonfall.

0/10 on science, 3/10 on fiction, 5/10 on entertainment (mostly because of all the probably unintended laughs).

Now, I've seen several sloppy disaster sci-fi movies with a lot of disregard for science, but this one takes the throne. It displays more disregard for the "sci" part than any I've seen before (and there are plenty that plays loose and fast with science), so much so I could pretty much point out most of the issues without having much science knowledge other than school and some general interest in space/science stuff.

I mean - when you can do one search and find out that the entire premise of the item they found inside the moon (powering the fiction part) isn't even feasable unless physics took a few billion years off and decided to work completely different in a small area of the solar system, then I wonder how much time was spent on actually researching anything. To me it seemed like they went for the "we'll just go with what we think we remember from science/physics at elementary school level 20+ years ago, and leave it at that." - Someone thought they had a cool idea, didn't do any research other than watching a ton of other disaster movies ("DO ALL THE TROPES!!!"), and made a movie out of it.

This one was entirely fiction with a few science words sprinkled throughout (maybe some vague hints that someone had at least tried to pay attention in class those 20+ years back).

Entertaining? Yes (mostly because it's fun to find all the obvious flaws).
Grounded in science? Not even a little bit.

(It's not the worst when it comes to being chased by waves/water/earthquakes/lava/the moon(!)/space aliens/etc., even if it had plenty enough of this, too - that price goes to 2012.)
Field Researcher
#904 Old 13th Nov 2023 at 2:45 PM
@simmer22 I saw Moonfall and I think the stupidest scene in the film was when one of the characters was stuck under a tree and the other one said something like 'We have to use the Moon' in order to lift the tree. Not mentioning what gravity would do to both planets if they ever were so close to each other lol.

Today I watched The Peasants, a loose movie adaptation of Władysław Reymont's Chłopi. It was enjoyable to watch and I appreciated the unusual way the film was created.
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zl6Tj4NSJU
9/10

If I lived on Mars, I would be pleased because the Earth is not my cup of tea
Mad Poster
#905 Old 13th Nov 2023 at 3:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Wojtek
I saw Moonfall and I think the stupidest scene in the film was when one of the characters was stuck under a tree and the other one said something like 'We have to use the Moon' in order to lift the tree. Not mentioning what gravity would do to both planets if they ever were so close to each other lol.

Not to mention if the moon gravity worked like that, it would lift a whole lot more than just the tree off the ground (people, cars, maybe even buildings...). By the time the moon came that close, we'd likely have a billion other things to worry about than a tree falling over a person, if there were even any survivors left on the planet after all the havoc caused by the moon zooming towards the Earth like it's trying to speed-deliver back all the junk we've left up there (3-4 days like in the movie is about the time it takes to travel to the moon in a rocket - it's NOT however the time the moon would move towards Earth under normal circumstances), so... yeah.

I saw this one after seeing Moonfall - it's got actual science, more so than the movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOWmVvto9EY
Theorist
#906 Old 18th Nov 2023 at 6:20 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 16th Jan 2024 at 6:36 AM.
Let the Right One In (2008, Sweden, subtitled): A lonely 12-year-old boy befriends a mysterious girl whose arrival and nightly appearances coincide with a series of murders.
My comment: A modern rendition of an old, overdone tale that just keeps getting dumber, I'm torn between perhaps rating this on the high end of bad (which is still bad), only because of the contemporary setting and use of children as the main protagonists, or just calling it utter rubbish.
Bad (1-4)
Theorist
#907 Old 21st Nov 2023 at 6:03 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 30th Dec 2023 at 10:07 PM.
The Death of Stalin (2018): Moscow, 1953. After being in power for nearly 30 years, Soviet dictator, Joseph Vissarionovich Stalin, takes ill and quickly dies. Now the members of the Council of Ministers scramble for power.
My comment: Funny, and far better than I expected. One of the best films I've watched this year.
Very Good (8-10)
Theorist
#908 Old 21st Nov 2023 at 8:30 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 30th Dec 2023 at 10:08 PM.
Age of Consent (1969): A grizzled Australian painter decides to jolt his stale creativity by moving to a remote island on the Great Barrier Reef, where he takes on an alluring, uninhibited young woman as his muse.
My comment: Want to see Helen Mirren naked? Me neither. Regardless, you will in this movie, albeit when she was much younger, so there's that. The dog is the best part. No, not Mirren, there's an actual cutesie doggo.
Mediocre (4-6)
Scholar
#909 Old 28th Nov 2023 at 8:04 PM
The Bond movies are on tv again and are being played in order so for once I actually sat down to watch them because I've never actually seen the first few movies. I didn't think they'd be so uncomfortable/ boring/ lame/ insert-a-word. I'm just very glad that cinema got better later (as well as the Bond movies) because yeah ok they're iconic or whatever, but they're really not that great There's a couple of scenes here and there that are fun eg. the iconic laser comin to slice him in half, the exaggerated yell when some guy got ejected out of a seat, or an old lady shooting everyone down. The rooms they filmed in were also super nice, but that's about it
We'll see if I change my mind when they switch actors, cos maybe the first guy just the right guy for it?
Forum Resident
#910 Old 5th Dec 2023 at 1:33 AM Last edited by Deshong : 6th Dec 2023 at 3:23 AM.
The Super Mario Bros. Movie (10/10)

Oh, my childhood. So many musical remixes and sound effects from the various Mario games and I loved how the nod to the animated Super Mario Bros. Super Show was included. I read that the voice actress of Princess Peach who voiced for the cartoon also voiced the woman for commercial in the movie. Overall, I wished to see more of Luigi but I know why that wasn't really the case but I'm excited for a sequel.

I think the design and personality of Princess Peach falls most in line with the version in the old cartoon than in modern games, though she is getting a new game soon. I really liked the overall hint of expanding on the movie by not only seemingly in the future bringing Rosalina and other characters into the mix but also even further than that to connect all the Nintendo characters like from Legend of Zelda, etc.

Is it a raccoon, a bear? It's Tanooki Mario! lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W3OdO18t0U

Edit: When hearing DK's rap, a remixed version from Donkey Kong 64, I just couldn't help from smiling. They really did their homework for all the ages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWSgsbWiX_g

=======

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Universe (9/10)

So many Spider-Men/Spider-Women, I love it. Though not much screen time, I'm pretty sure I spotted my favorite live-action Spider-Man played by Tobey Maguire. A very interesting continuation from Into the Spider-Verse and also it left the story on a cliff-hanger which sometimes I don't like but since it's clear there's going to be another sequel and they can dive deeper into more elements than having rushed everything in across the universe, that is fine. They even gave away the name of the sequel called Spider-Man: Beyond the Spider-Verse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqGjhVJWtEg
Theorist
#911 Old 12th Dec 2023 at 5:32 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 30th Dec 2023 at 10:09 PM.
House of Hummingbird (2018, Korea, subtitled): Often ignored by her family, a 14-year-old finds her escape through roaming her neighborhood with her friend, experiencing all that life has to offer.
My Comment: Boring and pointless.
Bad (1-4)
Theorist
#912 Old 12th Dec 2023 at 5:45 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 30th Dec 2023 at 10:09 PM.
Leave the World Behind (2023): A family's getaway to a luxurious rental home takes an ominous turn when a cyberattack knocks out their devices, and two strangers appear at their door.
My Comment: A churning, putrid pile of steaming crap.
Bad (1-4)
Theorist
#913 Old 14th Dec 2023 at 8:29 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 30th Dec 2023 at 10:10 PM.
Murphy's War (1971): A lone survivor from a British naval ship is obsessed with getting revenge on a German U-boat crew that massacred his shipmates in the water.
My Comment: First time I watched this was in the late 70's when I was living in Queens, NY. It was the early morning Late Late Show, the weather was warm and I had the windows open with a warm breeze blowing in, making it feel tropical and providing the perfect atmosphere for watching this. 45 years later I still remember it. It's an excellent film and, of course, I just watched it again.
Very Good (8-10)
Theorist
#914 Old 19th Dec 2023 at 8:54 AM
Unforgiven (1992): Retired Old West gunslinger William Munny reluctantly takes on one last job, with the help of his old partner Ned Logan and a young man, The "Schofield Kid."
Mediocre (4-6)
Forum Resident
#915 Old 19th Dec 2023 at 7:33 PM
Get Out (9/10)

I wasn't sure what to expect with this movie but it ended up being one of those thought-provoking movies and something that's more than meets the eye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzfpyUB60YY
Mad Poster
#916 Old 20th Dec 2023 at 6:06 PM
Frozen 2

Took me a while to get to it, and I don't think it's worth the same hype as the first one. The music was forgettable (the only thing I can remember is the very annoying OOO-ing sound, which got on my nerves before I even watched the movie - I can't remember a single word or tone from any of the songs apart from that), and most of the storyline ended up being background story for the first movie.

It's fine, but probably not one I'm going to revisit (I did rewatch Frozen 1 several times - the songs are the kind you can start singing along with even on first or second rewatch, plus the story is much better).
Scholar
#917 Old 20th Dec 2023 at 9:48 PM
No Time To Die (7/10) - I enjoyed it and probably would watch it again but I gotta say Casio Royale will always be my favourite

I think the Daniel Craig movies are the best ones because his verison of Bond is less flat. I dunno maybe its the writing/movie styles that have changed and this just matches today's style? Heh also it felt like he talked a lot more than normal in this last movie?
Theorist
#918 Old 21st Dec 2023 at 9:32 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 30th Jan 2024 at 6:23 AM.
Afghan Breakdown (1991, Russia/Italy, subtitled): It is 1988 and Soviet soldiers adapt to the changes during the final days of the Soviet-Afghan War; the Soviet withdrawal, dealing with the Mujahadeen for the safe passage of withdrawing Soviet troops, and the 'Perestroika' back at home. The movie was praised for its realistic and gritty depiction of the Soviet-Afghan war.
My Comment: Unfortunately, the subs are literal translations, possibly AI generated, which often give viewers mere clues as to what's going on, although the story is not particularly hard to follow. With better subs, I suspect I might rate this as Good. It's on YouTube.
Mediocre (4-6)
Forum Resident
#919 Old 22nd Dec 2023 at 5:46 AM
Us (8/10)

Different, I know, but I kind of get reminded of Fallout 4 with the whole you never know someone is being replaced. Just like Get Out it's more than meets they eye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNCmb-4oXJA
Scholar
#920 Old 28th Dec 2023 at 8:16 PM
9 to 5 (1980) 9/10 for sure. Like best thing I've seen in forever and actually funny.

Witness for the Prosecution (1957) 8/10 not my kind of movie but solid acting I think. Also I really liked Marlene Dietrich's dramatics.

Murder on the Orient Express (1974?) 6/10. This Poirot was kind of underwhelming and not very cool, but the other characters were very nice (and dramatic but that expected since it is Agatha Christie). I'm def a fan of the David Suchet version.

I watched a bunch of other things this week too (gotta love xmas hols) but it was stuff that I'd mostly seen before and just had playing in the background unlike these three
Theorist
#921 Old 29th Dec 2023 at 4:50 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 16th Jan 2024 at 11:17 PM.
Broadway Danny Rose (1984): In his attempts to reconcile a lounge singer with his mistress, a hapless talent agent is mistaken as her lover by a jealous gangster.
My Comment: Not one of Woody Allen's better efforts, the gags and one-liners aren't that funny.
Mediocre (4-6)
Mad Poster
#922 Old 29th Dec 2023 at 11:44 PM
The Help Interesting and well-told story about race relations in Mississippi, USA, through the lens of black house servants during the 60s.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Scholar
#923 Old 1st Jan 2024 at 5:55 PM Last edited by Elynda : 1st Jan 2024 at 6:10 PM.
I just finished watching Disney's "Sleeping Beauty" (1959) on DVD. Whatever I may think of Disney's later output (some good, some not so good) I cannot fault this film, it being a part of my childhood and a precious one. Honestly I had not watched it since I saw it in the cinema as I small child, and I was curious to know what my more 'mature' judgement would make of it. I was not disappointed. What, for me, makes this one special is the ingenious use of Tchaikovsky's music, which is all from the Sleeping Beauty ballet. And, as I may have remarked a few times,Tchaikovsky was my 'first love': it was he, especially through that magnificent score, who first revealed to me the magic, the wonder, the majesty and the glory of Fairyland, which I have carried with me all my days. Disney at the very best - (10/10).

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Theorist
#924 Old 1st Jan 2024 at 7:41 PM Last edited by ScaryRob : 1st Jan 2024 at 7:56 PM.
The Brain That Wouldn't Die (1962): A doctor experimenting with transplant techniques keeps his girlfriend's head alive when she is decapitated in a car crash, then goes hunting for a new body.
My Comment: Gotta love those 50's and early 60's Sci-Fies - or not, LOL. Mediocre, at best.
Edit: In an ironic twist according to Wikipedia, the lead actor, Virginia Leith, whose head is kept alive in the movie, donated her body to medical science after her death in 2019. So maybe, just maybe, her head is still alive somewhere...
Mediocre (4-6)
Theorist
#925 Old 16th Jan 2024 at 6:27 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 31st Mar 2024 at 3:14 AM.
Sorcerer (1977): Four unfortunate men from different parts of the globe agree to risk their lives transporting gallons of nitroglycerin across dangerous Latin American jungle.
My Comment: Takes an hour (half the movie) to get up to speed. The details on how the four men ended up in their predicament, shown in the earlier parts of the movie, are pointless to the plot and could have been summarized much more quickly. I can see why this film, from the director of The French Connection and The Exorcist has largely been forgotten. Overall, kind of boring.
Mediocre (4-6)
Page 37 of 39