Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Interstellar Traveler
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Jun 2013 at 4:53 PM Last edited by SeeMyu : 15th Jul 2013 at 2:45 AM.
Default The Shutters — A Photography Contest!
Foreword
I know and see that a lot of you have amazing photography skills, and after the machinima contest I hosted, I have a lot of faith that I won't be disappointed in your photographs! Photographs are along the same line as machinimas, but tend to get recognized a bit more on blog sites and such! Now it's time to get those creative juices flowing and show everyone your amazing talent!

Qualifications
Contestant in MTS Calender Contest 2012 Hosted by heaven
Judged heaven's Story Time Contest: Hero Edition
Hosted Lights, Camera, Action - A Film Making Contest
Participated in Reya's Design This! Contest
Participated in MTS Calender Contest 2013 Hosted by heaven

Introduction
Welcome to the Shutters contest! This contest will have a length of 3 rounds, and in each round you will be completing assignments (and themes) for your photography profession. Each round will last 2 weeks each. [COLOR=DarkRed]This is a money management contest![/COLOR] Although money management may seem rather difficult, it should be relatively easy! If you keep up with your register and account, you should do fine!

Difficulty:
Mild. Should be relatively easy, but money management can be kind of confusing!

[SIZE=3][COLOR=SeaGreen]Rules [/COLOR][/SIZE]

General:
1. Forum rules apply.
2. This is a solely Sims 3 Contest, unfortunately! I do not know much about Sims 2 Photography and would not be able to be much of a help if you ever ran into problems.
3. Custom Content is allowed! (If you can, try to lean away from using Featured Artist creations from TSR or any other pay content. It would be nice, but you can feature the items if you wish to).
4. One entry per contestant, please!
5. No eliminations in this contest!
6. Sim/optional pet subjects must be made by you. You cannot use any other creator's sim! (It doesn't matter how they look—this contest is based on photography, not sims' appearances).
7. Entries may NOT be edited after posted! If you need to edit your post, please provide your reason to me over PM. I may be willing to offer some exceptions due to the certain circumstance. Just please remember to look over your entry before submitting!

Photography:
1. These photos must remain PG-13! Nothing too sexual (sexy is fine, as long as it isn't 18+) and violence is okay too, but please try not to go freakish and create some terrifying violent images!
2. Images must be within 800x600 pixels and 1280x1024 pixels! Please try to keep them undistorted as well!
3. Photoshopping is allowed, but only to an extent! You may not alter the image's appearance (such as lens flares, brightness, contrast, saturation, etc.)! You can add borders and user name logos. You may not place text (other than your username) on the image!
4. Either attach the image to the post, or upload and use the image tags to dispay the image correctly in your entry. See spoiler below for image tags.

Bank:
1. You can take out a loan any time you need to!
2. You may store any money you want in the bank that is no higher than $250,000
3. In order to input/output money, you can post a post anytime in the contest requesting to do so. Same with loans!
4. Pay your loans back at the end of the contest, before the final round is recommended. If you do not have enough to pay back you will automatically have to file bankruptcy and have points taken off your final round score.
5. The bank is not a requirement! It is entirely optional!
6. Whenever you put money in the bank, remember that it cannot be spent unless you take it out! So, keep an eye out on your remaining funds!
7. Loans will not update the amount you have in the bank, but the amount you have in the account.
8. Once you choose to make a loan, it cannot be reversed unless you pay back the money.
9. Loan prices do not rise once bought. You will pay back the same amount you took. Not any higher or lower.

Account:
1. The account is used to refer to before spending any funds.
2. The account will be updated after each round. If you choose to put the money in the bank or get a loan, the account will be updated whenever you do so.

Round Duration:
Each round will last 2 weeks! (Extensions are NOT allowed in this contest! If you don't get it in on time, then you don't get it in on time).

[SIZE=3][COLOR=SeaGreen]The Bank [/COLOR][/SIZE]
Available Loans:
$5,000 $25,000 $500,000
$10,000 $100,000 $1,000,000
loans can be added together for the desired amount

ContestantInput AmountOutput AmountTotal Funds AvailableLoan TakenLoad Paid|When
daniandan-----
Headly98-----
Qnshr5-----
null-----
null-----
null-----
null-----
null-----
null-----
null-----

[SIZE=3][COLOR=SeaGreen]The Account [/COLOR][/SIZE]
Updated after every round unless with exceptions

ContestantRound 1 AmountRound 2 AmountRound 3 Amount
daniandan$190100--
Headly98$186100--
Qnshr5$173100--
null---
null---
null---
null---
null---
null---
null---

[SIZE=3][COLOR=SeaGreen]Scores & Rounds[/COLOR][/SIZE]
10 Contestants Needed! Will expand once that threshold is reached! Maximum is 20!
ContestantRound 1Round 2Round 3
daniandanRound 1--
Headly98Round 1--
Qnshr5Round 1--
null---
null---
null---
null---
null---
null---
null---

[SIZE=3][COLOR=SeaGreen]Judging Parameters[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Originality (20 points): Is your photo unique? Is it something that makes us go, "Woah! That's awesome!" Is it something that's never been done before?
Judge's Choice (1-20 points): This is solely up to the judge. This area is where a certain number, between 1 and 10, is given depending on how well the judge thinks the contestant presented their entry based on their effort and use of additional packages + money management!
Money Management (10 points): Did the contestant use their money wisely?
Background (10 points): Do your pictures have a nice background, or are they too distracting?
Defy the Thirds (10 points): Did you use the rule of thirds, did you go out of the box, or did you ignore the thirds?
Effective Use of Surroundings (10 points): Does it have a theme (which is should)? Does it really tie in with the theme? Do your surrounding and props fit well, or are they completely random?
Rules (10 points): Did you follow the rules?
Bonus (5+ points): Each round will have a designated bonus option.

Total Amount of Points that can be Earned: 95

[SIZE=3][COLOR=SeaGreen]The Judges[/COLOR][/SIZE]
1. Buckley
2. PlayinSafe
Emergency Judges:
Priority:
Alternative:

Round One — The Paranormal
Beginning Funds: $200,000
Introduction:
You've just begun a business as a freelance photographer! You're on a mission to be the best! Now it's time to prove that! With this upcoming assignment, you must prove to the public that you are truly the best!
Task(s):
1. You must take a total of five pictures! In each picture, you must feature a different scenario of the theme Paranormal.
2. Each picture must have at least one sim! (Using pets as the only subject is okay too!) You cannot just take a picture of the nature or something random.. even though it may be beautiful, you must abide by these rules.
3. Remember! Photoshop is allowed to an extent! Please read the rules again if you are confused with what I mean.
4. These must be 5 different scenarios! Using the same sim is okay, but they must appear in different clothing and must be in a different setting (of course).
Entry Requirements
1. All images must be embedded onto the thread!
2. A brief of lengthy description of the scenario for each picture.
3. A statement saying which additional packages you've used (read below for more information on additional packages!)
4. How much money you have spent, and how much you have total in your account. This is part of managing your register! Please make it recognizable as well!
5. Your entry must be contained within a spoiler tag! See spoiler for more info on spoiler tags:

Funding and Budget:
With majority of things you do, it will cost money. Not just a couple of dollars, but a lot of it. You can choose from the list what you would like to include with the photos. The following list will state your receipt and options:
+ = Required Fees.
+Printing Services: $400
+Promotion Services: $2,000
+Photo shoot Prop Services: $3,000
+Photo shoot Equipment: $3,500
+Wardrobe: $2,000
Total Required Fees: $10,900
--

Bonus: Buy at least one additional package! (that should be easy enough for ya!)
-----------

Formally SeeMyu | Retired Mod
Advertisement
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
#2 Old 30th Jun 2013 at 4:53 PM
Contest Approved
  • Do not post replies and/or contest applications before the contest host has checked in on this thread, or your post will be deleted.
  • DO NOT WRITE USELESS POSTS like "Hey cool contest, I think I might join." Reserve type posts and useless posts about coming back with an application will be deleted.

Heaven Sims | Avendale Legacy
"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."
Interstellar Traveler
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Jun 2013 at 5:06 PM
Host checking in! Welcome everyone! If you are confused about anything with this contest, please ask! I know it can be a bit confusing, but I will answer to my best abilities!

The timer for your application round (Round 1) can be found here. Round 1 will end on July 15th at 12:00AM Eastern Standard Time!

Best of luck everyone!

is going to be a cat when she grows up.
retired moderator
#4 Old 1st Jul 2013 at 12:28 AM
... soooooo ...

Okay, how does the money system work? Do we actually have to implement the promotion services, prop services, etc? And if so, how do we do that in such a way that it reflects in the photography that we submit?
Interstellar Traveler
Original Poster
#5 Old 1st Jul 2013 at 3:57 AM
You do not have to implement them into your work. The additional packages just act as boosters for your overall round score in the Judges Choice panel. They aren't required, but it's just something to consider.

Now, the money system works pretty much as you'd figure. You'll have a certain amount of required fees per round, and additional opinions to choose from. As rounds go on, the required fees will increase and so will the prices of the additional packages. If you do not have enough money and want to look into taking out a loan, request one, and it will be added into your account. That amount will be required to be paid back at the end of the round. If you don't want to spend any money, or to make sure you still have that amount near the end, you can enter it into the bank where it will not be accessible unless you take that amount out and enter it back into your account.

Site Helper
#6 Old 1st Jul 2013 at 3:14 PM
I probably won't enter unless I find out which CC items are causing problems in time. (It looks like 5 things in the DCCache. A binary search through the DCCache isn't fun, so I've been taking it slowly.)

But I did want to point out that you haven't said how much money we start out with?

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Interstellar Traveler
Original Poster
#7 Old 1st Jul 2013 at 4:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj
I probably won't enter unless I find out which CC items are causing problems in time. (It looks like 5 things in the DCCache. A binary search through the DCCache isn't fun, so I've been taking it slowly.)

But I did want to point out that you haven't said how much money we start out with?

Your starting amount is $200,000. This amount was located in the Round 1 Information.

Test Subject
#8 Old 1st Jul 2013 at 4:43 PM
So only people in past competitions can compete? Is that what im seeing or am I worng?
Test Subject
#9 Old 1st Jul 2013 at 4:45 PM
Sorry I understand now....lol
Interstellar Traveler
Original Poster
#10 Old 1st Jul 2013 at 5:10 PM
If you were referring to the Qualifications—those are my qualifications in order to host this contest. It has nothing to do with any user's ability to join

Field Researcher
#11 Old 2nd Jul 2013 at 3:43 AM
Does the money in the bank collect interest or is there a way to earn money? Do the scores you get determine money earned? Or do we automatically receive a set fund to be added to what we already have in the account each round? I read the instructions twice, but don't see this clarified. I'm guessing the latter, but want to be sure.

Also, excuse my ignorance, but what is "the rule of thirds"? Sounds so familiar, but can't recall.
Interstellar Traveler
Original Poster
#12 Old 2nd Jul 2013 at 4:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Qnshr5
Does the money in the bank collect interest or is there a way to earn money? Do the scores you get determine money earned? Or do we automatically receive a set fund to be added to what we already have in the account each round? I read the instructions twice, but don't see this clarified. I'm guessing the latter, but want to be sure.

Also, excuse my ignorance, but what is "the rule of thirds"? Sounds so familiar, but can't recall.

I guess I forgot to note that depending on your score with the Judges Choice and overall presentation, you will be rewarded a certain amount after each round. Depending on what funds were required that round will vary the amount you earn at the end.

The Rule of Thirds is a method of photography where you practically divide the image into thirds—the majority of the subject is within the thirds, and the main points of interests are near the intersecting points of the thirds.

Here's the graph of the Rule of Thirds:

Test Subject
#13 Old 2nd Jul 2013 at 9:59 PM
Would it be too much if we saw a sample post? Use any images just show us how it's suppose to be. Thanks.
Interstellar Traveler
Original Poster
#14 Old 2nd Jul 2013 at 11:39 PM
A sample post of the rule of thirds? Sure!

I placed the Rule of Thirds graph on top of the image to give a good example.

To sum it up easily, the subject is not in the very center of the picture. To go by the rule of thirds, they should be more towards the sides and not in the middle of the image.
Screenshots

Mad Poster
#15 Old 3rd Jul 2013 at 12:52 AM
The rule of thirds is a neat way of taking interesting photos, and much used, but it's not the only way, and does not have to be the main composition in every photo one takes. Depends on what you're photographing and which other tricks you've got up your sleeve. Just a note.

As for "paranormal", am I right in guessing you mean anything that isn't considered plain old "normal", such as unicorns, fairies, ghosts and the like?

As for the money system, I can't quite get the hang of it. Could you perhaps put in a description of what is in which "package", as in what is allowed and what isn't? "Photo shoot Prop Services" and "40% Promotion Services" (and all the rest) tells me not very much. My brain is not hardwired for economy, sadly.

I'm sort of considering using some slightly impromptu pictures I've got hanging around in my picture folder (they are in the paranormal category and sort of instinctly come within the rule of thirds - I guess years worth of art/photo does that to the head...) but knowing what is allowed and what isn't allowed, such as amounts of photoshopping, composing and what kind of CC is allowed would be very helpful. Preferably in clear text.
Interstellar Traveler
Original Poster
#16 Old 3rd Jul 2013 at 1:13 AM
I guess I need to highlight some stuff a little more. I never said that the rule of thirds needs to be the main composition for every photo, you just need to implement it at least once. All of the photos don't need to have the subject in the center for every single scenario. Try to move them around a bit, yet, keeping the focus on them. As long as you use the rule of thirds once (and use it in a way that's correct and doesn't draw away attention from the subject) then you will not be getting a zero in that specific field.

For the paranormal theme, yes. Anything out of the ordinary. Not just spooky ghosts stuff.

Each additional package doesn't really have a said percentage of how much it will count towards the Judges Choice field. It's mostly thought out as.. "well, which services did they use, and how much money was put towards those services?" The more money the service costs, the more of an impact it will have. You could buy 4 Touch Up services and it would be equal to the amount of impact that 1 Fliers! FLIERS EVERYWHERE service. I hope that helped a little bit.

And lastly, I explained the rules of Photoshopping in the Photography section under the Rules. I also explained which type of CC is allowed in the Rules.

Mad Poster
#17 Old 3rd Jul 2013 at 2:48 AM
I still have no clue what the "services" mean, and what impact they have on an entry. Such as: What is considered a "touchup", and if this is photoshopping, then what is allowed other than what is already allowed, or does the allowed photoshopping count as touchups, such as adding a frame? Is "crisp photos" the same as using "sharpen"? And what is meant by "fliers" or "promotion services" or "printing services" and the rest? Is there some post or thread that explains these?

Quote:
Photoshopping is allowed, but only to an extent! You may not alter the image's appearance (such as lens flares, brightness, contrast, saturation, etc.)! You can add borders and user name logos. You may not place text (other than your username) on the image!

So adding borders and/or username logo is allowed (and sharpen, for the "crisp photos"?), but nothing else?

As for me, I consider photoshopping the same as altering an image's appearance, but in various degrees, from small adjustments such as adding a frame or use sharpen or brighten/contrast (to help lighten up a dark picture, for instance), to heavier retouching where you add or remove items, do big changes to colors, or make the picture into something else. So if only borders and adding a name is allowed, but not simple retouch such as brighten/contrast and the like, then it would be much more helpful if you wrote what is considered "not altering the appearance" of the picture. If only a border and the name is allowed, then write that. Otherwise it just gets confusing.
Interstellar Traveler
Original Poster
#18 Old 3rd Jul 2013 at 3:37 AM
Please read the post near the beginning of the thread. Spladoum asked the exact same question. Additional packages (or additional services) do not have to be implemented into your work, and pretty much cannot because they have nothing to do with your task. They act as point boosters in the Judges Choice category.

And yes, I am not allowing photoshop editing. You may add borders and namestamps, but nothing else (No sharpening either. I dunno where you got that from). There's no real challenge if I allowed Photoshop editing. Borders and namestamps do not alter the image's appearance in such a way that it would be unfair, so there's no reason for me to rephrase the rules on that part. I'm honestly a bit baffled how that rule came off as confusing and why my interpretation of altering appearances would be relevant? Either way, the rule is still the same on Photoshopping images.

Field Researcher
#19 Old 3rd Jul 2013 at 4:04 AM
Quote:
I still have no clue what the "services" mean, and what impact they have on an entry. Such as: What is considered a "touchup", and if this is photoshopping, then what is allowed other than what is already allowed, or does the allowed photoshopping count as touchups, such as adding a frame? Is "crisp photos" the same as using "sharpen"? And what is meant by "fliers" or "promotion services" or "printing services" and the rest? Is there some post or thread that explains these?

I think I know what the confusion is (correct me if I'm wrong). The "services" aren't real. As in they are not something you can or need to do in reality. That part's make believe. So we're pretending that we've posted Fliers Everywhere or have Crisp Photos. It's like a game. We put fake funds towards fake services that the "game" or contest counts as real (though it's not). So, like a game, we get judged and gain points on what fake services we've bought and that counts toward our very real photos. So, you don't have to worry about actual Touch ups, just whether or not you want to spend money to pretend you did Touch ups on your photos (unless that's required, I don't remember). I hope that's right and if it is I hope that helps.
Interstellar Traveler
Original Poster
#20 Old 3rd Jul 2013 at 4:16 AM
Qnshr5, you've got it right. Any services (in required and in additional packages) are not something to be put into your work and are just for the purpose of boosting your round score in the Judges Choice field.

Mad Poster
#21 Old 4th Jul 2013 at 2:02 PM
I'm sorry if this isn't any good. This is the first time I've been in a competition like this before

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Steam ID: PadukSteam
Interstellar Traveler
Original Poster
#22 Old 4th Jul 2013 at 3:52 PM
Welcome to the contest, daniandan!

Adding your entry to the chart!

Theorist
#23 Old 4th Jul 2013 at 5:06 PM
Not sure I'll have time to join in the contest, but just in case...

I still don't understand how the money system work, especially the Additional Package. Do we need to add stuffs to the photo to purchase the package (e.g. actually making a flyer to buy the "Fliers! FLIERS EVERYWHERE!" or something)?
Interstellar Traveler
Original Poster
#24 Old 4th Jul 2013 at 5:30 PM Last edited by SeeMyu : 5th Jul 2013 at 5:36 PM.
No, you do not have to implement the Additional Packages into your photos. Additional Packages act as boosters to your overall round score in the Judges Choice field. They're like bonus points.. (kind of) but they contribute directly to one field and they cost a bit of money.

Test Subject
#25 Old 5th Jul 2013 at 5:26 PM Last edited by Headly98 : 5th Jul 2013 at 5:33 PM. Reason: I forgot to add how to enlarge the images, sorry my bad.
Hey guys. This is my first time actually taking part in a competition on MTS, so ill try and do my best. (Click The Images To Enlarge, Images Located In The Spoiler Below)

Printing Services: $400
Promotion Services: $2,000
Photo shoot Prop Services: $3,000
Photo shoot Equipment: $3,500
Wardrobe: $2,000

30% Promotion Services: $3000

Used: 13900
Remaining: 186100

Page 1 of 2