Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Mar 2024 at 11:28 AM
Default Best way to reinstall
So I just upgraded my computer and have been wanting to try out The Sims 3. After some tinkering, I got it to work with Windows 11 and the smooth patch. But, I think some things are quirky because I have been using the same installation since basically 2012. I have all SPs and EPs except for Katy Perry. Most were installed from discs, but sometime in 2016 I bought a bunch of things from Steam to finish my collection. However, I don't use Steam to run the game.

I'm wondering what the best way to go about doing a fresh install is. Should I uninstall? Then use the discs for the ones I have? On the EA app it appears as though I could also just download each thing that I own. Would it be better to just download everything instead of hobbling together with the CDs and some being downloaded? Is it best to uninstall or just click the "repair" button? Obviously I would save my The Sims 3 folder in My Documents to keep my mods and saved games, and then add them back once I do the clean install.

Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 21st Mar 2024 at 9:31 PM Last edited by igazor : 21st Mar 2024 at 10:25 PM.
There usually isn't any point in reinstalling the game if it is to stay on the same system as current. Reinstalls replace the program files (only) with fresh versions, but the contents of the program folders do not change with usage unless you, the player, have gone in there to make changes proactively.

But if you must reinstall, I don't really see the point of doing a mixed disc/downloadable process. As long as at least one of the base game, EP, or SP is from the EA App (formerly Origin), then the entire game is EA App (Origin) controlled so you end up on Patch 1.69 and in the same place in the end either way.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Mar 2024 at 5:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
There usually isn't any point in reinstalling the game if it is to stay on the same system as current. Reinstalls replace the program files (only) with fresh versions, but the contents of the program folders do not change with usage unless you, the player, have gone in there to make changes proactively.

But if you must reinstall, I don't really see the point of doing a mixed disc/downloadable process. As long as at least one of the base game, EP, or SP is from the EA App (formerly Origin), then the entire game is EA App (Origin) controlled so you end up on Patch 1.69 and in the same place in the end either way.

Well, I am on 1.69. I just feel like it's a bit corrupt, but maybe reinstalling won't fix that. I had a bunch of missing objects but I'm not sure why. I had to reinstall most things from the Launcher which didn't make any sense. The game files are on different folders whether they were installed via CD or Origin. The game shows up in the EA App but only a handful of SPs and EPs show up there as actually being installed, which is super weird. The base game also shows up in Steam but I have never launched it that way. It just seems all over the place!
Mad Poster
#4 Old 23rd Mar 2024 at 6:32 PM Last edited by igazor : 23rd Mar 2024 at 7:45 PM.
I may have spoken too quickly and perhaps you have more of an unorganized program file structure than I was expecting to hear about. Steam is just confusing the issue, like a red herring. You can't actually have the Steam game (1.67) or its packs and the EA App/Origin game (1.69) or its packs installed and functional at the same time. When we purchase from Steam and choose to use the codes provided to install the EA portions, the Steam game should perhaps remain available for install anyway but not actually be installed or able to be run.

So in your case, starting fresh might be a better solution. EA's AnswersHQ board for TS3 is a good place to get help with the EA App and stubborn packs that aren't getting recognized. This board is staffed by player/volunteers and is a lot more responsive than Customer Service ever was for such issues.

At the end of the day though, the important thing is are you going to develop any more of your great mods for us to play around with once you get this all worked out?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 23rd Mar 2024 at 7:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
I may have spoken too quickly and perhaps you have more of an unorganized program file structure than I was expecting to hear about. Steam is just confusing the issue, like a red herring. You can't actually have the Steam game (1.67) or its packs and the EA App/Origin game (1.69) or its packs installed and functional at the same time. When we purchase from Steam and choose to use the codes provided to install the EA portions, the Steam game should perhaps remain available for install anyway but not actually be installed or able to be run.

So in your case, starting fresh might be a better solution. EA's EA's AnswersHQ board for TS3 is a good place to get help with the EA App and stubborn packs that aren't getting recognized. This board is staffed by player/volunteers and is a lot more responsive than Customer Service ever was for such issues.

At the end of the day though, the important thing is are you going to develop any more of your great mods for us to play around with once you get this all worked out?

yeah, it's a mess! Yes, that would describe what's happening in Steam, the base game and packs show up but none are installed. I guess I must have put the keys into Origin at some point.

I kind of miss modding but it's been so long that I don't think I remember anything about it