Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Feb 2016 at 9:57 PM
Default Help with infamous Windows IRQL bug.
Hi, just trying to get some last-minute tech help before everything closes. I've been getting the infamous IRQL not_less_or_equal_than bug. I followed the instructions I found about finding the error logs and I ended up with this:

As far as I can tell I just need to update, but I did notice that the issue started popping up first when using the built-in DVD (Lenovo Power DVD 10), which had been acting slightly twitchy at times over the past month, so I just wanted a quick double-check to see if it is something with the visual drivers (specifically the ones the DVD player runs on), or if it's just overall. I've heard things about people getting this error as well when using Speedfan (which I don't have) or when using an anti-virus program in addition to Windows Defender (which I do, but it is Avast, and it has been mostly AVD causing conflicts and problems.

Sorry if this isn't enough info. Just let me know if I need to add anything. Any help is appreciated.
Advertisement
In the Arena
retired moderator
#2 Old 10th Feb 2016 at 3:04 AM
Did it BSOD? What is the BSOD hex code for the "IRQL not_less_or_equal_than" error? Is it the same code 0xC0000005 as in the log above?
Or did it just say the IRQL error and then recover, with the system not crashing at all? ie no Blue Screen crash?

Are you able to disable or suspend Windows Defender and then replicate your actions that trigger that IRQL error?

What specifically was changed before you start getting this issue? Install a new program, update drivers, etc?
0xC0000005 usually indicates some memory corruption, could be software (programs) or hardware (RAM). Either Windows cannot access the memory space or cannot reclaim the memory space when a program exits, a virus/malware has corrupt the memory space, or one (or more) of your RAM sticks is going bad.
Or it might be Windows Defender and Avast not playing well together and has corrupted something. Disable one or the other and run a complete scan.

Download and install CCleaner https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner and run the Registry clean-up
Download and run the complete scan by Malware Bytes https://www.malwarebytes.org/
And finally if all those come back clean with no issues reported, download and run Memtest86+ http://www.memtest.org/

Actually, if you suspect a virus or malware, it is best practice to download a clean bootable start-up disk/usb to a known clean machine and then do a clean boot from that media and run a comprehensive virus scan. You can select from https://livecdlist.com/ that has the purpose of Rescue or Diagnostic that has been updated recently. Most of these packs have Memtest and Antivirus, too.
Inventor
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Feb 2016 at 5:38 AM
I knew I was forgetting to add stuff--
It does BSOD, as near as I can tell (they replaced the traditional BSOD with that weird light blue screen with the frowny emoticon on it for some reason), and I didn't see a numerical code, but it did flash too quickly for me to tell. I did get (but forgot to mention) that the message also says ia.StorA.sys. Whenever I get it it seems to only come when I try to use the DVD. I haven't added on or downloded anything recently, mostly just been using the DVD since I got into a new show recently, so I am not certain if it will crash if I try to play Sims or other games on it. I was using it most of the day today, browsing and doing online stuff (including YouTube) and it was fine, it was only just now when I tried to use the player again that it crashed.

Also, when it crashes, it gets stuck in a loop where it keeps trying to start up and then re-crashes, only breaking the cycle when I do a system restore.

I am doing a system restore now, and I'll try and run Malware bytes to see if I can find anything (and double-check to see if I already have CCleaner or not and either run it or dl and run).
Inventor
Original Poster
#4 Old 10th Feb 2016 at 6:56 PM
Okay, getting back a little late, but I ran Malwarebytes and CCleaner. Malwarebytes was clean, and CCleaner found some things, I kept running registry cleanup until it stopped coming up with stuff. Windows Defender was already off, so it might not be a conflict between that and Avast.
I was unsure about Memtest because I was not sure which I should dl (ISO, Binary, or one of the others. I'm definitely not a programmer, so I'm guessing not binary).
I didn't have internet available at the time, so I couldn't connect to Avast to run it. What's. happening now doesn't seem like a virus attaching to memory, I did get a backdoor virus through Windows Update a few years ago (switched Auto off on every computer since, I manually update), and this doesn't seem to be behaving like that, the computer acts fine until I try to run something on the DVD. I'll still run a full scan when I have access though.

I'll check with Memtest once I figure out which one I need, and I'll try and double check for driver updates, especially for graphics/visual updates.

Just a few seconds ago it crashed again while I was using it without touching the DVD player so I might be back to square 1 on narrowing down the problem area.
Scholar
#5 Old 10th Feb 2016 at 7:19 PM
It could trigger when your antivirus attempts to access the DVD because the problem software (probably Windows Defender or Avast) is attempting a scan of the drive.

Download memtest+ from: http://www.memtest.org/#downiso, I'd recommend the bootable ISO one since its the least complicated. Older systems won't boot from USB.

Once you have your bootable CD, put it into your disc drive. Turn off your computer, then turn it on again. If your machine doesn't automatically boot into Memtest+, you'll have to reboot, enter BIOS and adjust the boot order.

Run memtest+ for 12hrs if you can afford to since your problem is only intermittent.

You don't get a virus through Windows Update. You probably got it from somewhere else.

Just to be safe, I'd also recommend booting into safe mode, and uninstalling your drivers for your disc drive from the device manager. Then reboot. Windows should automatically reinstall the default disc drive drivers.

Update your windows via windows update, get the latest drivers for your motherboard from your manufacturer's website.
Inventor
Original Poster
#6 Old 12th Feb 2016 at 8:14 PM Last edited by anothereyjana : 12th Feb 2016 at 11:22 PM.
Been away a bit because of work---if it is just crashing because Avast is attempting to scan the drive and causing a conflict, is there some way of setting it to avoid automatically scanning the drive? Or did you mean that there is a virus which only activates when Avast scans the drive? I've done full system scans with Avast, Malwarebytes, and CCleaner and they didn't see any viruses, rootkits, or conflicts, and Windows Defender is already turned off.

Also, I am on a laptop, so there isn't anything to really remove (Lenovo G50-70). I only bought it a little over a year ago, so it should only be from 2013 or 2012 at the latest.
Scholar
#7 Old 13th Feb 2016 at 4:31 AM
What I mean is you may have had a problem with your memory, which corrupts your disc drive drivers. So you'll need to uninstall those drivers, then let them reinstall themselves.

Your laptop may be a laptop, but it has drivers just like any other windows machine.
Inventor
Original Poster
#8 Old 13th Feb 2016 at 5:00 PM
Ah, apologies, I guess I thought that you were just talking about external drivers and hardware.
In the Arena
retired moderator
#9 Old 14th Feb 2016 at 3:41 AM
You've tested with different DVDs? Just wanted to rule out faulty prints of the disc media. Or the read-write head skipping (very rare though, but does happen to wear and tear from usage). And if this is the root cause, putting bootable media on disc might not boot the laptop.
If you can, create 2 bootable mediums (CDR and USB) from another PC/laptop.

And doing the scans in Safe mode is the best practice, I forgot about that...

If the drivers are suspect, try getting the drivers from laptop manufacturer directly - for DVD, Motherboard, storage.
Inventor
Original Poster
#10 Old 10th Apr 2016 at 9:30 PM Last edited by anothereyjana : 16th Apr 2016 at 7:22 PM.
Apologies for waiting so long to reply, but real life got very busy for me so this got put on the backburner. I'm having trouble getting memtest to run period. I did check the boot order in BIOS, but it did not offer any ways to change the boot order. I did also update the drivers on everything, and, from time to time it says "SAT0 disk not recognized" when I try to play something before it crashes (I've tried multiple disks, all with the same result). I've Googled a bit to see if maybe the DVD player conflicts with anything, but I've found nothing so far. As for the head skipping, is that something that can be repaired/replaced on a laptop if that is the problem (or is it one of those things that would be so involved/expensive that you're better off getting an entirely new laptop)? Would there be some other way to tell if that was the problem rather than a conflict/software error?

Edit: I forgot to mention that the "SAT0 disk" message keeps popping up from Intel Rapid Storage Technology--Googling doesn't list any known conflicts between it and Cyberlink though.
Inventor
Original Poster
#11 Old 18th May 2016 at 8:58 PM
Okay, been away for awhile again, but I think that I have things a bit narrowed down now. I am beginning to think that it might be memory failure/ something wrong with the RAM itself, but I cannot confirm this because I absolutely CANNOT get Memtest to run. The CD-R method is out because it just kicks off the IRQL/ reboot bug, but that same problem has also spread to the USB. I cannot use either the CD-R (or programs connected to it, like the DVD player, if I simply click on Power DVD even without putting anything in, it crashes, it also crashes if I even so much as open the CD-R drive) or the USB without it crashing.
I've tried the .exe version, but my system refuses to run it, saying that it cannot even open the program.
I've run the onboard Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool, which said that there were no problems, but considering how well programs in general tend to run on Win. 8, I'm not exactly fully convinced.

I'm also trying to figure out how in the hell the RAM completely crapped out apparently, seeing as how, from what I've been able to Google, they are a part of/ attached to the Motherboard, which I just had completely replaced back in late Aug./ early Sept. (other than the RAM being faulty from the get-go that is).

In the meantime, does anyone have any ideas on how to get the Memtest.exe (or a similar program/file that is NOT CD-R or USB-based because that is NOT an option unfortunately) to run?
Scholar
#12 Old 21st May 2016 at 5:16 PM
Well that complicates things. Is it possible for you to get ram sticks on loan from someone just for you to test your computer?

If your Ram is bad you'll need to buy new ones anyway.
Inventor
Original Poster
#13 Old 21st May 2016 at 11:45 PM
Unfortunately no, everyone else either has desktops or other types of laptops, I'm the only one with a Lenovo.
I'll call the place where I got the motherboard replaced to see if maybe I could at least get a discount or something, but it'll still be expensive. I'll just have to see what I can do until I can afford to get it replaced.
Scholar
#14 Old 24th May 2016 at 7:02 PM
Ram between laptops is usually interchangeable. But in any case it sounds like it would be a problem for you.

I don't know what kind of memory your laptop uses but 8GB of laptop ddr3 for example should only cost about 30 US dollars. You can even buy it online.