Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Jan 2018 at 1:06 PM Last edited by Gamegenius : 2nd Jan 2018 at 10:26 PM. Reason: I accidentally incorrectly titled the thread
Default I have some questions about texture swapping the teen army pants on to the child jeans texture.
I was able to successfully swap them out but with some mixed results for example these are what the pants on a child jean mesh on both sides look like. As you could see I couldn't get the texture to match up with the teen version as shown here. How would I be able to fix it?
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Teen to Child Army Pants Convertion Project.rar (1.97 MB, 5 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 1st Jan 2018 at 10:01 PM
That's probably because you're trying to put a texture from a big mesh to a completely different smaller mesh. Unless it's a mesh conversion, the result won't be 100% the same. It looks alright as it is.

If you want to fix it, you'd have to do a little moving, shrinking and maybe some cut&paste, but it's not easy getting a perfect result when you're working with two very different meshes.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Jan 2018 at 7:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
That's probably because you're trying to put a texture from a big mesh to a completely different smaller mesh. Unless it's a mesh conversion, the result won't be 100% the same. It looks alright as it is.

If you want to fix it, you'd have to do a little moving, shrinking and maybe some cut&paste, but it's not easy getting a perfect result when you're working with two very different meshes.

Thanks. I have another question do the alpha and the normal map need to be changed as well because I feel as if that's part of the problem. Would a UV map help in my case? Here are the updated images of the pants, there's a little bit of blue sticking out on the sides but I could easily fix it.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#4 Old 2nd Jan 2018 at 4:54 PM
The normal map may cause some weird bumps if you have bump maps enabled ingame, since the texture doesn't line up - but it's better to just remove it than trying to fix it. Just fill it in with 50%grey (pick up the color from a flat piece of texture, and either fill or paint over. Bump maps are difficult to get right, and rarely look any good if they're halfway.

There's not much point in doing anything with the alpha. It already shows all parts that will show on the mesh. Removing parts (blacken out) will only cause skin to show.

There's also not any point in doing anything with the UVmap, and you'd have to make a new mesh for the recolor, otherwise you'd break the other recolors.

Lke I said, the recolor looks fine as it is.

I have a feeling I've seen a mesh conversion of these pants somewhere. It's possible Skell made some (she's got a big repository/conversion project going on), but I couldn't find anything else than these (the ones from TSS, I think) - http://skellington7d.livejournal.com/86559.html
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd Jan 2018 at 10:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
The normal map may cause some weird bumps if you have bump maps enabled ingame, since the texture doesn't line up - but it's better to just remove it than trying to fix it. Just fill it in with 50%grey (pick up the color from a flat piece of texture, and either fill or paint over. Bump maps are difficult to get right, and rarely look any good if they're halfway.

There's not much point in doing anything with the alpha. It already shows all parts that will show on the mesh. Removing parts (blacken out) will only cause skin to show.

There's also not any point in doing anything with the UVmap, and you'd have to make a new mesh for the recolor, otherwise you'd break the other recolors.

Lke I said, the recolor looks fine as it is.

I have a feeling I've seen a mesh conversion of these pants somewhere. It's possible Skell made some (she's got a big repository/conversion project going on), but I couldn't find anything else than these (the ones from TSS, I think) - http://skellington7d.livejournal.com/86559.html

Thanks Simmer22. I would continue to tweak the texture until the pockets and the stitching line up more correctly since I feel that it bother me when they're wearing them in the game. It's a small and slightly difficult step but since I'm turning 20 on the twentieth of this month and plans to become a video game designer one day it's nice to learn stuff like this.