Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 11:05 PM
Default Your most/least favorite active career?
For me? Hard to say. Probably all of ones from Ambitions (have yet to play wit Generations or IP ones).

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 11:13 PM
What has the rabbit hole has to do with anything?

Mad Poster
#4 Old 31st Jul 2018 at 6:21 AM
The Medical career probably remains my favorite. I like the feeling that my sim is making a positive difference in other sims' lives like no other sim can, even if it's all artificial. And the neighborhood clinic animations are hilarious.

There's a custom career I have installed that also looks promising, but I haven't gotten around to trying it out yet. Keep meaning to yet somehow...
http://modthesims.info/d/518811
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#6 Old 31st Jul 2018 at 9:55 AM
"Active career" is an alternative name (mainly used by NRaas folks) for professions.

I've never played the daycare profession, the firefighter only once and interior designer only for a few Sim days, so I guess that I don't find them too exciting.

Private investigator I found horrible initially but now it's become an okay choice.

Medical I stopped playing once they introduced the active career elements with Ambitions; together with the constant calls to the hospital this career stresses me out too much.

The one I play most is ghost hunter, especially in a new world, because it sends my Sim around the neighbourhood and the job isn't too exacting. The jobs also disappear by the end of the shift, so I can ignore them, something that doesn't happen with the stylist, which I've played fairly often, too.

Lifeguard can be fun, but only in an Island Paradise compatible world.

I very often start Sims in one of the Showtime professions, but mainly because these allow me to switch households often without the risk of my main Sims doing anything too stupid and in worlds that don't have any Showtime venues. They are my go-to "jobs-to-park-Sims-in".
Site Helper
#8 Old 31st Jul 2018 at 3:33 PM
A firefighter almost needs Daredevil. It takes a while to get immunity to fire, but Daredevil starts them out with it.
Handy is really helpful for maintaining the fire alarm, improving the truck, and (when it becomes available) upgrading yourself so that your fire extinguisher is improved.
Athletic helps them stay in shape.

I don't recommend any of the strong people skills traits, or you may end up rescuing one person out of 3, then having to remind your sim that the middle of a burning building is not the place to stop and make a new friend, especially when that new friend is about to have two deaths in the family because you were too busy talking.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Theorist
#9 Old 31st Jul 2018 at 3:54 PM
I don't usually play the business or science careers. I will give Sims these jobs but I rarely follow those families. I did fire fighter once but it was a bit boring. Is there a lawyer/law career? I can't remember.

Normally if I am following a few families in rotational play they'd be involved in the arts/writing, police, athletics, (life guard is fun but glitchy in my game). I played daycare once and got the reward (van). I've been both a teacher in real life (including daycare teacher) but don't like it in Sims 3. The teacher/care person always is exhausted and those toddlers crying get on my nerves...

I tried sculpting with one Sim but didn't get far.

Over all, my favorite is author because I like to write in real life and I also find it fun to make up stupid titles for books and then see other Sims reading them.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Mad Poster
#10 Old 31st Jul 2018 at 4:09 PM
You know, I was 100% certain I posted a comment in this thread. Something about running resorts, and it being something I really enjoyed even though I haven't spent much time doing it. Then I brought up Open For Business and then I must've gotten distracted and forgot to hit the Post button. Did I really not post that comment? Man, my memory isn't what it used to be.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Forum Resident
#11 Old 31st Jul 2018 at 5:13 PM
Running a resort is super fun! I also like nectar making, gardening, painting, horse(wo)man, and running a bakery. For RH careers, part time jobs, medicine, and culinary.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#12 Old 31st Jul 2018 at 6:45 PM
Can we not talk about regular careers, please? Active ones, please?

Mad Poster
#13 Old 31st Jul 2018 at 7:15 PM
I mean, I'm sure we can....

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Scholar
#14 Old 31st Jul 2018 at 11:15 PM
I haven't played the Interior Designer, Stylist, Ghost Hunter or Necter Marker/Photography because I never had WA for the fourth, nor did much with the Photography skill. But I have to say, I rather enjoy the Daycare/Babysitting profession. It feels like I'm actually doing something all the time. I know that the Firefighter is similar, but I've had issues with the firefighter profession (though that might have been because I built houses on small lots, and the windows on the backside of the house left not enough room for the firefighter to douse the fire on the windows). And the Daycare requires taking good care of your Sim before the vulcanic-eruption poopers arrive. Otherwise, things get ugly...
Site Helper
#16 Old 1st Aug 2018 at 1:39 AM
Ghost hunter is fun, but a bit buggy. At higher levels you can start collecting spirits to use for decoration, money, or transmutation even without a job requiring you to track them down and capture them. And, for your inappropriate sims, there is always the possibility of using the customer's shower to woohoo with a ghost before either capturing it or convincing it to move on.

Stylist: You get the same set of customers. So once you get them looking good, they want to be changed. And then they are happy with the outfit you gave them that makes a standard EA random outfit from aging up look amazing. (As long as you make sure to give them everything they want. Although you can also give them more, if they are asking for just one change, so the guy whose hair is fine but really needs to learn that a plaid shirt doesn't quite go with camouflage pants can also be given a new wardrobe. Just be prepared to have to redo everything in a day or two.

Investigators do get the ability to collect things from the customer's house "for evidence." You don't even need to explain what the big screen tv has to do with anything involving the case, nor do you ever have to give it back.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 1st Aug 2018 at 3:26 AM
I had to play firefighter to the top as wanted to see the quakes as live in California and have been in real ones, and it is pretty cool when your sim then gets a fire truck to park at home. :D
Field Researcher
#18 Old 1st Aug 2018 at 5:44 AM
I'm not too big on the firefighter profession, mainly because I can never seem to get a good rank with how long it takes my sim in the firehouse to stop whatever they're doing, slide down all those separate poles, and then drive out to whomever's home is in flames. I've never tried ghost hunting, or daycare. I'd have to say my favorites are the stylist profession (Exterminating the ugly, one sim at a time ), and pretty much all of the showtime professions (Magician especially!)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#19 Old 1st Aug 2018 at 3:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
I guess what I want to know, and I'm sure most people here want to know, is what is there beyond the initial level of these careers? Has anyone played them to the max and can share if there are new stuff the higher the career level goes?

Almost to reach the top with a stylist. From what I gather in my gameplay, my sim started from makeovering sims in the saloon to makeovering them in their own home. Certain outfits got unlocked as I notice when progressing. Also, maybe I'm lucky, but after a while sim stopped nitpicking and bitching about how they didn't like my fashion choice. For more information, you can read it on wiki though. Haven't tried all of the interactions Freestyle Makeovers (whatever that means).

Site Helper
#20 Old 1st Aug 2018 at 5:10 PM
Freestyle Makeovers is when you get to the point where you can stop a sim in the street and give them a makeover.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#21 Old 1st Aug 2018 at 6:30 PM
Interesting. To anyone and not necessary on a lot? I only seen an interaction available for convincing sim with a tablet. Wait, is that the same one?

Site Helper
#22 Old 2nd Aug 2018 at 12:35 AM
It should come up under the conversation special button (where trait-related options are found.) It's been a while, but I think the option was "Offer free makeover" although I'm not sure how that would translate in a non-English game.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#23 Old 2nd Aug 2018 at 2:20 PM
it exists according to the wiki, but it's a standalone and different interaction from "Offer Makeover", and it opens at level 3. I dunno If I ever use "Freestyle"