Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Nov 2007 at 9:06 PM
Default New site features and fixes
Hi All,

It's been a while since I did any major code changes here on MTS2. With the downtime today, however, come the following changes:
  • Keywords on download posts that are in space-seperated lists, as opposed to comma seperated, now get split into individual keywords
  • Non entered challenges now show up on the scorecard
  • Added option on the Mass Forum Subscriptions page to unsubscribe from a specified sub-forum. This is useful if you want to show all threads from a particular forum and it's children *except* for particular subforums. This is the second tickbox.
  • Fixed bug with New Posts giving a database error for unlogged in members
  • Renamed Featured Downloads to MTS2 Top Picks, which now incorporates the Top Picks
  • Added little stars next to some downloads. Hover over the star, you'll see.
  • A ton of behind the scenes stuff.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Regards
Delphy

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
18 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#2 Old 1st Nov 2007 at 9:29 PM
I am seeing a mix of featured downloads and top picks in Downloads. Is there any difference at all between them, or just really a name change?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Scholar
#3 Old 1st Nov 2007 at 9:40 PM
Awesome new features!

What's the MOCCA award winner? Is that for people whom's download have the MTS2 Pick?

Anyway, thanks for the updates! All your hard work is greatly appreciated.
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#4 Old 1st Nov 2007 at 9:41 PM
I went to fanseelamb's page, and the Untuckables set is a 'Top Pick' under the 'Most Downloaded' section, but it is a 'Featured Creation' under the download section. I'm confused why they are different and why the change. Also, what is the MOCCA Award?
#5 Old 1st Nov 2007 at 9:42 PM
It might be for people who stay up all night :D

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Field Researcher
#6 Old 1st Nov 2007 at 9:45 PM
Thirding the what is the MOCCA Award? I'm suddenly paranoid you know about my caffeine habbit.
Instructor
#7 Old 1st Nov 2007 at 9:45 PM
I was wondering about the award myself.

And I love the idea of Top Picks because it still gives awesome downloads the recognition they deserve even if not "Featured." Will there still be Featured items, or it is all going to be Top Picks from now on?

desperation makes you look like a tool

Exclusive downloads available only at Phasmatic Sims!
retired moderator
#8 Old 1st Nov 2007 at 9:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
It might be for people who stay up all night :D
That can't be it. Otherwise I'd have one next to my name too. ;-)
Test Subject
#9 Old 1st Nov 2007 at 10:12 PM
Delphy is just being evil. Sets up a thing and refuses to say what is it!
Scholar
#10 Old 1st Nov 2007 at 10:33 PM
lol, never mind about the MOCCA :P
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#11 Old 1st Nov 2007 at 10:33 PM
I don't know what you are talking about with this Mocha thing. But I do like coffee, so if anybody has any going, I'll take a cup.

Also, thanks Phaenoh, I fixed that bug with the trophy/star.

To answer migamoos question: Yes, of course there will still be Featured items. The Top Picks do not appear on top of the download browser, for example.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
retired moderator
#12 Old 1st Nov 2007 at 10:38 PM Last edited by Phaenoh : 1st Nov 2007 at 10:43 PM. Reason: need to learn to read
I'm still confused. In the featured/top picks section about half are featured and half are top picks. You just said they wouldn't appear on top of the downloads, I assume that means the 4 spots above the main downloads? so confused.

also, are the stars going to show up next to our avatars? i like that best, lets people know immediately that you have something really worth looking at if they missed it.
Scholar
#13 Old 1st Nov 2007 at 10:44 PM
He means that there is still basically featured downloads. The newest featured items will be on the top of the downloads page as always, but the top picks wont be. So im guessing you can have 3 types of downloads now:
- Featured
- Top Pick
- Normal (not featured or top picked)

Correct me if im wrong :D
#14 Old 1st Nov 2007 at 10:46 PM
But my question remains unanswered - what does it mean to be featured or a top pick - how do they differ in significance?

Instructor
#15 Old 1st Nov 2007 at 10:52 PM
From what I've seen, I think Top Picks seem to be downloads that are worth noting for their quality and such, but maybe not quite up to Featured status.

Scholar
#16 Old 1st Nov 2007 at 10:52 PM
I believe featured is ... featured, lol, and top pick is a download with high download stats or a download that is of high quality, but just quite didn't make it to that featured spot with higher quality.

I should stop now because i dont know if what im saying is true,lol.
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#17 Old 1st Nov 2007 at 11:01 PM
The 'features' of features remain the same. Features are awarded trophies, the user gets a trophy next to their name, and they appear on the top of download pages and the front page of the site.

The 'picks' honor other items that are top on site, as there are certainly other most excellent downloads that were not featured. They are awarded by a magic algorithm that I cannot disclose. The little star will show up on all the index listings, but not next to the user's name.

This enables downloaders to see more of what's great on the site, and if they're smart, they will go and look at your profile to see other goodies you've made.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
retired moderator
#18 Old 1st Nov 2007 at 11:02 PM
If thats the case, are previously uploaded things going to be added to top picks? I can't imagine that they would, that's a huge task, though it doesn't really seem fair not to.
Scholar
#19 Old 1st Nov 2007 at 11:04 PM
^^ Many of my previous things are already starred
retired moderator
#20 Old 1st Nov 2007 at 11:04 PM
Were they previously featured or not?
Scholar
#21 Old 1st Nov 2007 at 11:06 PM
No, they weren't previously featured.
retired moderator
#22 Old 1st Nov 2007 at 11:06 PM
Coolies, congrats then!
#23 Old 1st Nov 2007 at 11:08 PM
So, if a person uploads something, and that something gets featured, then the person is referred to as a featured artist? Or is that something different still?

Scholar
#24 Old 1st Nov 2007 at 11:09 PM
Thank you! Appreciate it :D
Instructor
#25 Old 1st Nov 2007 at 11:11 PM
Thanks for the clarification Tig.

Page 1 of 3