Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Nov 2010 at 12:47 PM
Default Plants
Is there any way to clone plants? I know editing their meshes isn't really doable... I just want to do some recolours/retextures, without having to do default replacements.
Advertisement
retired moderator
Original Poster
#2 Old 3rd Dec 2010 at 11:17 AM
Soooo I'm guessing the answer is "No, there's no way at all to clone plants to retexture them," judging by the lack of replies?
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 3rd Dec 2010 at 12:22 PM
You can clone plants in Workshop but I noticed there's a bug with the textures not showing up anymore. That bug is reported and is fixed in 2.0.11 (beta not yet released).

Edit:
The preview release can be found here once it's available:
http://trac.thesimsresource.com:808...orkshopDownload

Minisite

TSR Workshop
A Custom Content Tool for The Sims 3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#4 Old 3rd Dec 2010 at 12:30 PM
I guess it's about time to suck it up and learn to use Workshop then. Any rough estimate on when 2.0.11 will be released? I've no idea of the regular Workshop release schedule.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#5 Old 3rd Dec 2010 at 2:46 PM
So is TSRW now going to be able to clone outdoor plants? Have you integrated Speed Tree somehow into it? Or another way to retrieve mesh/textures? Or do you mean indoor plants? I assumed HP meant the outdoor plants since indoor plants are cloneable with S3OC already.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#6 Old 3rd Dec 2010 at 2:48 PM
Indeed, I meant outdoor plants. I'd like to be able to recolour the brambles green, recolour some of the rosebushes, that kind of thing. The textures are just DDS files so I could default-replace them, but I'd rather not do that.

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 3rd Dec 2010 at 3:56 PM
I don't know exactly how the referencing of DDS's in the SPT resource takes place. Regarding editing it's the same story as RIG.

2.0.11 I expect to be released somewhen next week.

Minisite

TSR Workshop
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#8 Old 5th Dec 2010 at 11:56 AM
You clone a plant and you add the image(i.e plantDaisyWhite_com) you want to change to your package. You also have to get the matching SPT2 resource from the FullBuild0(isn't included with the clone) and add it to your package, you'll need that for the thumbnail(it won't show without it). Then you give the SPT2 the same instance number as the _SPT, and open it in Grid and change the instance number in the RCOL block to the same. Then you open the _SPT in a hex editor, look for the name of the image(i.e. plantDaisyWhite_composite_d.tga) and change it while keep the same amount of characters(i.e. plantDaisyPurpl_composite_d.tga).

There's two listings of the name so you have to find and change both. Then you make a hash of the name without the .tga(i.e. plantDaisyWhite_composite_d) and change the instance number of your image to the number you hashed.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
retired moderator
Original Poster
#9 Old 5th Dec 2010 at 12:03 PM
cmo - i dunt no wut ur on aboot can u do vid on youtube???

kidding, kidding - I'm just such a noob object creator... I'm sure between harassing Lee and Delphy and your instructions (gosh, pictures even!) I can figure it out. Thank you!

˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#10 Old 5th Dec 2010 at 12:05 PM
It sounds harder than it really is, but I can explain anything in more detail if you need. I'm just happy to see you creating. :D

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 9th Dec 2010 at 2:06 PM
2.0.11 is now available on trac in case you're still interested in.

Minisite

TSR Workshop
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 18th Jun 2013 at 7:39 AM
I'm not sure what the protocol is on reviving very old topics, but I'm a little stuck. Has anyone made an updated tutorial on recoloring plants? The only other information I can find is from another thread but it links to this one and says the process may be different with S3PE updates.

I'd like to recolor a plant from Monte Vista. It has _SPT and SPT2 files already and the clone has different instance values from the original, so I wasn't sure what needed to be changed. I tried following cmo's instructions a few times but I kept getting lost. Not changing anything makes the file show up the same color at the original in game of course. Neither the Texture Tweaker nor TSRW can open the file as mentioned by others. I've recolored other objects but never something needing this much work so I was hoping maybe a tutorial existed =)

If it helps, here is the file I'm trying to recolor:
Beautiful Bougainvillea