Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Feb 2006 at 2:41 AM Last edited by zookini77 : 4th Feb 2006 at 2:35 PM.
Default Tips On Making an Object Look More Realistic
I've been working on a new videogame system of a Nintendo NES. I'm trying to get the mesh textured pretty good, but I am struggling.

Is there a good way to add slight insets around the buttons, controller ports and "vent" thing on the top? I tried making a gamecube onetime and it came out horrible. Are there any tips on how to make it more realistic and "texturey"?

I just started it tonight and as you can see I only have the basic shape too.
Comments and suggestions are cool too

Edited to Upload Pictures: Sorry about that.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 4th Feb 2006 at 4:11 AM
None of your pictures showed up.

Here are two things you can do to help your buttons:
Set different smoothing groups up for your buttons and box. Unweld the buttons, then resmooth. This should make your buttons have sharp edges where they meet the base box.

In your texture may, draw a shadow around the button by shading the box color to be a darker shade than the base, just a few pixels wide, feathering from much darker at the transition to just barely darker a few pixels out. This will enhance what shadows the game generates next to the button.

<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Feb 2006 at 2:36 PM
Thanks Wes, Now that I have the pictures up, anyone else have any suggestions?