Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Jul 2019 at 3:29 PM
Default China Blocks Websites- where can I get these not one their origninal sites
OK I live in China- and VPNs are a pain in the butt because you pay for them and then the government shuts them down and you lose a lot of money. (OH and they're ILLEGAL- so if you get caught who knows what happens)............................so I don't have a VPN any more. SO that leaves me in a lurch. I've looked on here for them- but you seem to always give the sites I have no access to. Some said 'Google them'...and unfortunately GOOGLE is banned in China as well, as is- Wikipedia, Yahoo, any 'blog' websites, most 'freeweb' sites, Reddit....anyway you get the picture.

Here is the stuff I'm looking for- I don't know if the sites are blocked, closed, or just aren't there anymore.

Running with Scissors
Pescado's anti-corruption hacks
Any place that I could see the hacks on MoreAwesomethanYou

that's all that I can think of...there are more but I think these are the ones that I really need, especially Pescado's. My daughter has a tendency to corrupt hoods by deleting tombstones, making a TON of apartments, and basically just blowing the files up with the sheer amount of sims she creates (daily). Which then makes me lose all my sims by having to start a new hood every 'RL' week.

Also if anyone knows- I'm having a problem with teens. The game has stopped making kids/ teens. When I start a hood and have my first child, the game creates 3 children townies...but if I have more than 3 children there are no more townie children/ teens to grow up...so no romances as teens. (My sims are all gay males) Any ideas why? I think I'll have to install InTeen...because it goes with TwoJeff's male pregnancy- but I was just wondering. No, I don't have any Townie regen hacks- the only hacks are male pregnancy related thus far as I haven't played in years and all my old hacks are long gone.
Advertisement
Undead Molten Llama
#2 Old 1st Jul 2019 at 7:44 PM
Wow. China sucks. I'm so sorry.

Let's see, I don't know where Running With Scissors is anymore. It's an EA mod, and I think it used to be hosted here on MTS somewhere along with all th other EA stuff, but I don't remember where. I'm sure someone else will, though.

As for Pescado's mods...Can you get to this page here: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s.../topic,7.0.html That's the directory of the mods for each EP. You pick your newest EP, and click on the link, and then download the mods you want. There are descriptions of them in a file that you can download on this post: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...ic,14444.0.html

If you can't access those pages....Can you access files hosted on SimsFileShare? Because if worse comes to worst, I have the mod descriptions downloaded offline, which I can send to you via SFS then you can have a look and let me know what you're interested in and if I don't have the mods you want myself, I'll gladly download and reupload stuff for you on SFS and send you a link via PM. I'm all up for subverting authoritarianism, be it Chinese or otherwise, and I'm sure Pescado would be as well.

As far as I know, the game will only ever generate three townie children, and they'll never be replaced when those kids grow up. :/ If you don't have anti-regen mods, the game will replace them with adult Sims, not children or teens. It's a flaw in the system. I try to remember to make new townie kids/teens whenever I grow one of them up along with a playable.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Scholar
#3 Old 1st Jul 2019 at 7:50 PM
//[edit:] scratching the answer already done

Could you tell us to which upload/cloud services you have access? I suppose with collective generosity, which we all enjoyed so many times from other players and modders, we could upload the content you have no access to the place where you have it.

There're answers for The Great Firewall, but local government won't be happy if you use it (and it *will* catch you - hiding such activity in seriously controlled environment is not trivial task). For the game content I'd not risk it. Especially if you have kid around.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Mad Poster
#4 Old 1st Jul 2019 at 10:20 PM
Seconding iCad and Elaine-let us know what you want and how you can download and we'll share-but don't get yourself in trouble for asking, either!

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Alchemist
#5 Old 2nd Jul 2019 at 12:40 AM
If you can get to Dropbox, you can get running with scissors here. https://www.dropbox.com/s/37nhfgljt...%20ADD.rar?dl=0
Forum Resident
#6 Old 2nd Jul 2019 at 1:10 AM
Another game community I participated in had a similar discussion. Google Docs and Dropbox are both blocked in China as well---at least as of a few months ago...and I would think China isn't awesome about eventually un-blocking such sites either. Github was the solution the other community used, but that's a bit more hardcore than we usually get. Wondering if maybe SimFileShare is ok?

*Ongoing TS2 informational projects (come on by to contribute, get info, or spectate!): (1) the SimPE Preservation Project and (2) Conflict Tracking for the 3t2 Traits Project Mods
*Need a Pescado mod? Use his hack directory: in the first post, find the link for your latest EP, then go in hacks/
Instructor
#7 Old 2nd Jul 2019 at 1:30 AM
Running with scissors: https://missmaxoid.livejournal.com/3273.html
It has a link to MATY thread about fixed version of some objects, including those scissors.
Forum Resident
#8 Old 2nd Jul 2019 at 2:03 AM
Might have a winner with simfileshare.net! According to this site, which supposedly does live tests for from-China accessibility of foreign sites, there is no censorship detected in accessing it.

So that sounds like it's worth a try.

LFact, you are awesome as always at finding stuff. The thing is though, if MATY is blocked in China, the OP won't be able to access any link to MATY pages, even if it's a link from another site to MATY.

About Github: it's somewhat safe for now from China's censors because it's a site legitimately used by programmers for sharing code and China knows that it might put their programmers at a competitive disadvantage to have no access to it. But for that reason, I almost wouldn't want to see more gaming communities use Github as their workaround, because China is just looking for a reason to block it anyway--so the more they can say it's *not* mostly used for work, the more likely they'll block it too.

*Ongoing TS2 informational projects (come on by to contribute, get info, or spectate!): (1) the SimPE Preservation Project and (2) Conflict Tracking for the 3t2 Traits Project Mods
*Need a Pescado mod? Use his hack directory: in the first post, find the link for your latest EP, then go in hacks/
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 2nd Jul 2019 at 2:11 AM
Simfile share is fairly new so maybe they don't have wind of it yet. Tell us what files you still need and between us we can upload it to file share.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#11 Old 3rd Jul 2019 at 4:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LFact
Running with scissors: https://missmaxoid.livejournal.com/3273.html
It has a link to MATY thread about fixed version of some objects, including those scissors.

"runs with scissors" I've never seen. Does it come with a particular pack?

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Scholar
#12 Old 3rd Jul 2019 at 5:38 PM Last edited by Fyren5 : 4th Jul 2019 at 2:15 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
"runs with scissors" I've never seen. Does it come with a particular pack?

The "Running with Scissors Playset" was available on The Sims 2 website but since they closed it down, they're not available anymore.

Alright, sorry. My mistake.
Forum Resident
#13 Old 3rd Jul 2019 at 6:31 PM Last edited by natboopsie : 3rd Jul 2019 at 7:01 PM.
Disagreeing...because the scissors are on the page here on MTS that Huge Lunatic linked a couple posts up. In fact, as noted atop that page, "EA announced the decommissioning of the official TS2 site at the end of 2012, and it is due to go offline on January 14th 2013. As such, we have decided to host much of the official - not Exchange! - content here, for those who still want or need it."

So anyone who's still looking for official Sims 2 content should check that out.

ETA: Did a quick look-around for Pescado's TOU, in case the OP comes back and asks us to post his collection for a particular EP to SFS. You know what I realized? He was always great at sounding all get-off-my-lawn and making snarky-sounding "warnings" and "side effects" notices in his RTFMs...but as for an actual TOU, I'm not seeing one. But...never looked seriously for one for any creator before either. Anyone else know where to find his?

Undead Molten Llama
#14 Old 3rd Jul 2019 at 6:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by natboopsie
ETA: Did a quick look-around for Pescado's TOU, in case the OP comes back and asks us to post his collection for a particular EP to SFS. You know what I realized? He was always great at sounding all get-off-my-lawn and making snarky-sounding "warnings" and "side effects" notices in his RTFMs...but as for an actual TOU, I'm not seeing one. But...never looked for one for any creator before either. Anyone else know where to find his?

Seriously? You're asking if Pescado, the Lord High King of the "Pirates," who masterminded the whole "Booty" thing in order to undermine T$R and paysites in general and their silly, illegal schemes and "TOU"s, has a TOU? I seriously, seriously doubt it. If he had one, it'd probably be "Do whatever the %#!$ you want. Just don't complain to me when you create a BFBVFS,"

No, seriously, I think that Pes would be all for undermining Chinese censorship by any means possible, even just so someone can have content for a silly game.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Forum Resident
#15 Old 3rd Jul 2019 at 7:01 PM
Hee! You know...you have a heck of a point there. Silly of me!

Undead Molten Llama
#16 Old 3rd Jul 2019 at 7:07 PM
You gave me an excellent laugh, though, so it's all good. And, seriously, I can understand the impulse to look for TOUs, given how stupidly touchy some creators in the general Sims community can be (Though in the 2 community, specifically, we're pretty chill, as a whole), as if they actually own anything that they make for the game. (They don't. EA does.) But...Pescado?

Mad Poster
#17 Old 3rd Jul 2019 at 10:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by natboopsie
Disagreeing...because the scissors are on the page here on MTS that Huge Lunatic linked a couple posts up. In fact, as noted atop that page, "EA announced the decommissioning of the official TS2 site at the end of 2012, and it is due to go offline on January 14th 2013. As such, we have decided to host much of the official - not Exchange! - content here, for those who still want or need it."

So anyone who's still looking for official Sims 2 content should check that out.

Argon updated many of these items to be compatible with later expansion packs. Get the updated versions here.
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...ic,13362.0.html
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#18 Old 3rd Jul 2019 at 11:41 PM
The way I see a TOU is more of a polite thing. These creators own nothing, so it isn't 'theirs' to protect. Yes you spent time over it and that is much appreciated but it's all owned by EA, every last bit of it. If I know you made something I will give a link or say your name and say thanks if and where I can, but as to not reuploading something if I or others can't access your site, forget that. If you have left the community, let your site be ravished by rabbit dogs or stuck your stuff behind adfly I will happily share with one and all.

Also to be sure people are aware there are two versions of the scissors. The first was deadly but due to complaints or second thoughts or something, the second pair was not.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#19 Old 4th Jul 2019 at 12:04 AM
Pescado TOU? "Thou shall not return whining, thou shall be whipped mercilessly by mighty MATEs of mine"

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Undead Molten Llama
#20 Old 4th Jul 2019 at 12:28 AM
Or, "TOUs are for 12s."

As far as I'm concerned, TOUs are worthless. If you put something on the internet, people are going to do whatever the hell they want with it, probably without your permission, and if you don't own the stuff anyway, there's no point in stressing about it. Or, if you insist on stressing, then rethink sharing or just share privately with your friends. Don't put it where the grubby masses can get it.

It'd be different if this was Second Life, where selling content is part of the in-game economy and people actually DO own the stuff they make, but since you're barred from owning anything in .package format because that's a format proprietary to EA, there's no point in fussing about this stuff. Just share, and if someone "steals" from you...Well, they liked your stuff well enough to "steal" it, so take it as a compliment. And if they aren't "stealing," then most people will thank you if they use your stuff just out of common courtesy even if you have no TOU. So...yeah.

Instructor
#21 Old 4th Jul 2019 at 12:37 AM
By the way, is The Sims Graveyard reachable from China? I just wonder.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 4th Jul 2019 at 8:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
Or, "TOUs are for 12s."

As far as I'm concerned, TOUs are worthless. If you put something on the internet, people are going to do whatever the hell they want with it, probably without your permission, and if you don't own the stuff anyway, there's no point in stressing about it. Or, if you insist on stressing, then rethink sharing or just share privately with your friends. Don't put it where the grubby masses can get it.

It'd be different if this was Second Life, where selling content is part of the in-game economy and people actually DO own the stuff they make, but since you're barred from owning anything in .package format because that's a format proprietary to EA, there's no point in fussing about this stuff. Just share, and if someone "steals" from you...Well, they liked your stuff well enough to "steal" it, so take it as a compliment. And if they aren't "stealing," then most people will thank you if they use your stuff just out of common courtesy even if you have no TOU. So...yeah.

I don't think that TOUs are useless. I respect them and won't share something if they say no (unless they've left the community). I'll just alter it for personal use if I need to. Most TOUs I see are mainly no paysites and give credit, which is what mine would say if I had one. XD
Undead Molten Llama
#23 Old 4th Jul 2019 at 6:24 PM Last edited by iCad : 4th Jul 2019 at 6:44 PM.
Yeah, those are the kind of TOUs you see for TS2 creators, generally speaking. Those are fine if, IMO, rather useless because people are gonna do what they're gonna do. Plus, MOST people won't reupload stuff made by active creators and MOST people will give credit out of common courtesy, even without the creator having to spell it out. To me, saying "give credit" is like asking people to say thank you. Most will do it out of sincere courtesy, and most of the rest will do it out of reflex/socially-enforced habit even if they're not sincere, so there's little point in asking people to say thank you. You know? (Or at least there's little point in doing that with people over the age of, say, 6. If they haven't been trained into politeness by then, they probably never will be.)

In any case, I was speaking more of TS3 creators. And I imagine it's worse with TS4 creators, since they've gone all paysite-y with the illegal Patreons and all that. Since I've been playing TS3 lately and downloading stuff for that game...Well, let's just say that some of those folks are a bit more demanding -- like, telling people that they can't recolor or alter stuff even for personal use, for instance -- and it kinda cheeses me off. If I made stuff for TS3, I've no doubt that I'd be gleefully breaking those kinds of "TOUs" left and right. Because that's the kind of jerk I am.

Mad Poster
#24 Old 5th Jul 2019 at 12:18 PM
Yeah, no one can control what someone does with their stuff for personal use.

I don't see asking for credit as forcing someone to thank you though. It's more just acknowledging other people's work that helped you.
Undead Molten Llama
#25 Old 5th Jul 2019 at 4:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
I don't see asking for credit as forcing someone to thank you though. It's more just acknowledging other people's work that helped you.

No, it's not "forcing" them to say thank you; it's asking them to. Which, as I said, is kind of pointless because most people will say thank you/give credit whether you ask them to or not. I would. You would. Probably 99% of people who make Sims stuff would. People who are capable of making and sharing stuff for a Sims game but who still have to be prompted to say thank you are probably vanishingly rare and, if they exist at all, are probably not going to be reading or caring about TOUs, anyway. There are probably many more people who will just take your stuff and try to pass it off as their own, and those people obviously aren't going to credit you.

But I dunno, maybe that's just me. Maybe I give people too much....credit. More likely, it's that I truly don't care what people do with Sims stuff I make because while I may have spent a lot of time on it and I may have even spent a lot of money on the programs I used to make the stuff 'cuz an unpirated Photoshop ain't cheap, the bottom line is it was simply fun for me to spend that time and it's fun to share what I make with other people, sort of a payback for all the stuff I've downloaded from other people. I don't own the Sims stuff I make, I don't make money from it, and therefore I have no vested interest in "protecting" it in any way, so I'm happy to let people do as they will with it. Now, if we're talking about stuff that I DO own and make money from, that's a totally different story. I've sued asses over that sort of thing. But Sims stuff? Nah.

Page 1 of 2