Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Jun 2019 at 7:07 PM Last edited by simmysmalls : 3rd Jun 2019 at 10:58 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Need Help With Sims 2 University Please!
Hello, I recently picked up a disc based copy of Sims 2 University and it started to download fine with the first disc, but when prompted to put in the second disc, which I did, it just kept saying to insert the second disc. Now when I put in the first disc again after cancelling, it keeps messing up in my computer and making a weird black background on my computer. I tried other discs so I'm fairly sure it isn't a computer issue. The only thing I could think of is that this is a german copy but I'm using a german computer so I don't know if it would really affect it that much. Origin was zero help. Anyone possibly have any troubleshooting? Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

edit: I'm not sure what exactly worked for it, but this morning i tried booting up my computer with disc 2 in and I was able to quickly grab the files out of it and copy them to a disk image folder like @Phantomknight suggested and the game downloaded just fine with that method. The most bizarre disk experience I have had so far, espcially considering that my computer is fairly new and the disk drive is woring fine. Thanks for the answers!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 2nd Jun 2019 at 1:37 AM
Okay, it's not the expansion's fault, per se, as many many people, self included, have installed University from disc just fine. It's either this individual disc or the computer.
It sounds as if the computer isn't recognizing the second disc, so the first thing to do would be to examine the disc. Is it dirty? Any scratches? Are you positive you put it in with the correct side up to be read?
Another possibility is that your disc drive is beginning to wear out. If this is the case, it'll start behaving this way unpredictably more and more often. If you have another disc drive, or an external one, try the disc in one of those.
Prior to that, of course, you'll have to reboot the computer to stop it from performing the random actions it's doing now. Since you've got a half-installed EP, rebooting the computer will confuse the installation issue, so you'd probably do well to uninstall the EP and restart the process from scratch.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Alchemist
#3 Old 2nd Jun 2019 at 4:54 AM
@simmysmalls, it might not be your computer so much as your version of windows. I have all the discs and have noticed that as I upgraded my computers, the harder it is for the discs to install. There's no scratches or anything, but for whatever reason, the computer isn't reading them.

So what I did, and what you can do, is a manual installation: https://modthesims.info/wiki.php?ti...Your_Hard_Drive You need the 'Copy Install Files to Your Hard Drive' section. When you do a manual install, you copy all of each disc's files onto your computer, then install. It might take a while to copy everything, so be patient, and Peni is right--make sure you do a clean install by uninstalling University and start the installation over from scratch.

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 2nd Jun 2019 at 11:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Okay, it's not the expansion's fault, per se, as many many people, self included, have installed University from disc just fine. It's either this individual disc or the computer.
It sounds as if the computer isn't recognizing the second disc, so the first thing to do would be to examine the disc. Is it dirty? Any scratches? Are you positive you put it in with the correct side up to be read?
Another possibility is that your disc drive is beginning to wear out. If this is the case, it'll start behaving this way unpredictably more and more often. If you have another disc drive, or an external one, try the disc in one of those.
Prior to that, of course, you'll have to reboot the computer to stop it from performing the random actions it's doing now. Since you've got a half-installed EP, rebooting the computer will confuse the installation issue, so you'd probably do well to uninstall the EP and restart the process from scratch.

Thank you for your reply! I don't think its the disc drive because all the other discs I tried afterwards worked fine. I played a couple movies and games. The really weird thing was that it seemed with each try I did to install the expansion, the less my computer would recognize it and the slower it would spin. I will definitely try your advice for cleaning and uninstalling the expansion as there is a folder created for it now with a single file and I'll try what phantom suggested too. I appreciate your time and thanks again!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd Jun 2019 at 12:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Phantomknight
@simmysmalls, it might not be your computer so much as your version of windows. I have all the discs and have noticed that as I upgraded my computers, the harder it is for the discs to install. There's no scratches or anything, but for whatever reason, the computer isn't reading them.

So what I did, and what you can do, is a manual installation: https://modthesims.info/wiki.php?ti...Your_Hard_Drive You need the 'Copy Install Files to Your Hard Drive' section. When you do a manual install, you copy all of each disc's files onto your computer, then install. It might take a while to copy everything, so be patient, and Peni is right--make sure you do a clean install by uninstalling University and start the installation over from scratch.

I wanted to try this, but now whenever the disc is inserted, it only spins and stops and spins and stops over and over and very very slowly an explorer tab will open up with a list of files but if I try to do anything with them, the whole thing freezes. I don't know what to do about this. My other discs all work fine, even my Sims 2 Double Deluxe boots up instantly when I insert the disc, so I don't think it is a problem with the computer. Windows 10 is really the worst sometimes. I just wanted to play with college Sims lol I don't know what to do with it now.
Alchemist
#6 Old 3rd Jun 2019 at 12:58 PM
Hmm, @simmysmalls, do you have another conputer that you can copy the files on? Perhaps you can copy everything to a USB (make sure the USB drive is big enough though).

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 3rd Jun 2019 at 2:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Phantomknight
Hmm, @simmysmalls, do you have another conputer that you can copy the files on? Perhaps you can copy everything to a USB (make sure the USB drive is big enough though).

@Phantomknight I don't know what happened with it this morning when I tried it but it worked just long enough for me to snag the files and drag them into the new folder and I was able to download them that way, as you suggested. It was very strange, but now that I have the files, I don't need to worry about the disc. Thank you for the help! I appreciate the time.
Alchemist
#8 Old 3rd Jun 2019 at 2:39 PM
No problem! I know how frustrating it can be trying to get your game to work properly and I experienced a similar thing some time ago, where no matter what I did, my computer just wouldn't read my discs anymore. So now I keep a back up of all of the disk images from my game disks and run the store edition--no disks required that way.

Anyway, I hope you're able to install now!

aka Kelyns | she/her