Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#226 Old 11th Nov 2018 at 4:11 AM
Here's one I haven't seen mentioned yet, maybe I missed it.

"Sims 3 is OLDDDDDD! Why would you want to play such an old game?!"

-- Ever go up to a bunch of chess players in the park and ask them the same question?
-- Even better, try this with a bunch of aggressive looking hockey players and report back (if you still can, after receiving the medical assistance that will then likely be required).
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#227 Old 11th Nov 2018 at 5:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Estrello
My friend said that they preferred the Sims 4 because most of the activity was at home and the big town world of the Sims 3 was unnecessary. (dare I say too big!)

Oh my gosh, that is sooooooooo hard to believe. Does the person stay home in real life as outside is too much??? LOL
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#228 Old 11th Nov 2018 at 2:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor

I guess I'll never understand that argument. With a few exceptions, I still have every game I've ever purchased, and I intend to play them for a very, very long time. Why? Well, if I had to guess I'd say because, you know, they're F-U-N. Games are a source of entertainment like anything else. But to me, they're more than that. They're oftentimes a creative outlet that allow me to really use my imagination. How old it is doesn't even enter my mind. I understand everyone has preferences, but if people go into it with that mindset they're going to miss out on a lot of great experiences.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Site Helper
#229 Old 11th Nov 2018 at 5:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
Here's one I haven't seen mentioned yet, maybe I missed it.

This goes along with "Game, huh. So how do you win?"

(At least Sims 3 came out AFTER 1985)

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Test Subject
#230 Old 11th Nov 2018 at 10:51 PM
My friend said that they preferred the Sims 4 because most of the activity was at home and the big town world of the Sims 3 was unnecessary. (dare I say too big!)

Yes, but didn't people want to actually enjoy outdoors activities even back at the time of TS2? I mean, by moving from one lot to another without loading screens and with the neighbourhood and families progressing contemporarily?
It sounds like people keep swinging from one side to the other without being convinced of what they'd really like to have in the game.
Forum Resident
#231 Old 11th Nov 2018 at 11:15 PM
I play much older games than TS3, and enjoy them just as much. My younger son, who is 19 also plays some of those older games as well and really enjoys them.
Many people these days seem to be more obsessed with how a game looks rather than the quality of the story, or content. Which is probably why we end up with a lot of shallow, boring games that just look nice. It's like looking at a pretty picture and not much else.

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
InnaLisa Pose Archive
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#232 Old 12th Nov 2018 at 1:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Pary
Many people these days seem to be more obsessed with how a game looks rather than the quality of the story, or content. Which is probably why we end up with a lot of shallow, boring games that just look nice. It's like looking at a pretty picture and not much else.

A big part of that is because of how gaming has become so mainstream. As soon as broadband internet and online gaming became a viable option for the masses it was bound to happen. Gaming has become known for just as much, if not more, for the social aspect than the interactivity. It's why games are being steamlined to death, why game companies don't take risks anymore, why they can shell out the same games with a new coat of paint and thousands upon thousands of dollars in microtransactions. It's no longer a game of chance, releasing your game in a single attempt and hoping for the best. Now it's half baked games with months of development time cut away by cutthroat publishers to meet deadlines, only to get a marginal return increase from the sales and then make up for it with dlc. And I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Scholar
#233 Old 12th Nov 2018 at 1:37 AM

Personally, I found that to be a complete drawback in Sims 4, after having the (unnecessarily big) open world of Sims 3. Now, I didn't like playing with the pre-set worlds because I didn't like the layout, nor the pre-made Sims, nor the size because the worlds did feel too big for my personal tastes. Most of the custom worlds I used were of 'small' size, like an island or similar. I do prefer smaller areas because I can oversee everything, without fiddling around too much with the camera... but I disliked how majority of the stuff in Sims 4 'had' to be done at home. I disliked the loading screens, and I felt like I had to now 'trap' myself into playing mostly in the home, when I would have previously sent a sim to the park to dance, paint, go on a date, hang out, or even just having Sim children playing with stuff.

"Sims 3 lags so much!"
Really? I never noticed much lagging... and I'm still using a Win 7 PC, which could use an upgrade on several parts. I did notice lagging when I had Sims needing to change into outerwear, but I quickly realized that pausing my save after it loaded, letting it 'background load' for approximately 5 minutes, it led to practically no lagging anymore. Still a little if I have snow falling, but I avoid that simply by playing with no winter/snow.
Inventor
#234 Old 12th Nov 2018 at 9:42 AM
A thing some people say I don't understand is that community lots are empty in TS3. I've never had any problem getting at least 6 or 7 Sims at any lot my Sims visit. After unparking my CPU I can get 12-15 easily at certain lots like the park or hot spots. This is around the same number of Sims you get in TS2 or 4 without mods. I'm baffled everytime someone claims this because even in my mom's outdated laptop she gets at least 6 Sims at every lot.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#235 Old 12th Nov 2018 at 1:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Naus Allien
A thing some people say I don't understand is that community lots are empty in TS3. I've never had any problem getting at least 6 or 7 Sims at any lot my Sims visit.

I've never understood it either. My lots always seem so nice and lively. Especially the parks, plenty of Sims walking around, talking, etc. What would irritate me more than slightly empty lots is Sims just standing around doing nothing while their queue is filled with 5-6 interactions. Can anyone guess which game I had trouble with that in?

Scholar
#236 Old 12th Nov 2018 at 5:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jathom95
I've never understood it either. My lots always seem so nice and lively. Especially the parks, plenty of Sims walking around, talking, etc. What would irritate me more than slightly empty lots is Sims just standing around doing nothing while their queue is filled with 5-6 interactions. Can anyone guess which game I had trouble with that in?

In my game the park is right near my house so I often see Sims having a picnic. Chatting with each other. Doing the seasonal activities. Even when my Sim is not there I see that.

If you like my mods. Consider supporting me on Patreon
Check out my website for updates on my mods and other work PuddingFace.wixsite.com
Check out my Youtube channel for tutorials(modding tutorials) and other content Youtube

Follow me on Twitter Instagram Pinterest Tumblr
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#237 Old 14th Nov 2018 at 3:38 PM
So, I saw on the S4 side of things that there were some new social media options for Sims thrown into the game. The reaction seems kind of mixed. Out of respect for other posters I won't say who or what they posted. But I did notice that some think that TS3 has those annoying "features" shoved in your face. If it's the "Share to Facebook" options with memories and whatever else, at least it can be shut off/ignored.

But, it made me realize something else. I don't think a lot of people understand why others get so "up in arms" about things like this. It's not just the fact that with something like TS4 that half the game is filled with trendy memes and pop culture references. It's that there isn't really room for anything else. In TS3, you have maybe one or two minor things that really "date" the game that are actually part of regular gameplay. Besides that, if you want to bulldoze every lot in the world you're playing in and mold it into whatever you want, you can do that. Not only that, but the different life stages feel different from each other. It's great. In TS4 you are constantly reminded of Maxis' "vision" and how you're not "supposed" to play any other way.

I'll explain what I mean with that last part. One thing that really stuck out to me before I quit playing TS4 is that every life stage feels exactly the same in regards to how they interact, speak with each other, etc. For instance, when any Sim leaves they always say "I have to go now. Thanks for hanging out with me." Elders will say that to each other. To their grandkids, parents visiting their children, so on and so forth. It constantly reminds you that this game was not built to be a "life" simulator. It was built to be a mid-late 2010s simulator.

Mad Poster
#238 Old 14th Nov 2018 at 5:54 PM
Some sims show up in my parks and they love restaurants if I have a RH rug there also, but for nightclubs and bowling alleys and other places, nobody comes. Had one busy resort I made but most of them are pretty empty too.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#239 Old 14th Nov 2018 at 6:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
Some sims show up in my parks and they love restaurants if I have a RH rug there also, but for nightclubs and bowling alleys and other places, nobody comes. Had one busy resort I made but most of them are pretty empty too.

Yeah, admittedly venues can be a little dead sometimes. But you have to remember that you are playing with a town full of Sims that are all being controlled at the same time. To be frank, I've never really had trouble getting at least 10 or so Sims to show up and that suits me fine. I hate the TS4 model where Sims are only "pushed" to the lot when you actively go there. No Sims are ever already there, you go and they show up through the front when you do.

Mad Poster
#240 Old 14th Nov 2018 at 10:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jathom95
Yeah, admittedly venues can be a little dead sometimes. But you have to remember that you are playing with a town full of Sims that are all being controlled at the same time. To be frank, I've never really had trouble getting at least 10 or so Sims to show up and that suits me fine. I hate the TS4 model where Sims are only "pushed" to the lot when you actively go there. No Sims are ever already there, you go and they show up through the front when you do.

I actually like them to be pushed to where I am playing. I would rather have them there than someplace else who knows where. I have never used any of the cheats to draw sims to the lot my sim is at, but may do that at a later date. And I have never fiddled with Park Control whatever it is called yet. Many things on long to do list.
Lab Assistant
#241 Old 14th Nov 2018 at 10:57 PM
Empty lots? I wish. I have to send my sims out for a romantic date at 3am, and even then, there will be interruptions by townies who complain about being hungry, sleepy or smelly but demand their autograph NOW. Rude. That is without paparazzi and tourists.

omnis mundi creatura
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#242 Old 14th Nov 2018 at 11:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
I actually like them to be pushed to where I am playing.

I actually agree somewhat. It's complicated. What I really meant was that I hate the semi-obvious way TS4 does it. I like Sims showing up to venues when I go, but what I don't like is the game picking from the exact same pool of Sims every time to crowd the venue. And I hate that the venue is completely empty until you show up, other Sims only show up at the exact same time you do. It just ruins any sense that other Sims have lives of their own, makes it feel like set dressing or something.

Forum Resident
#243 Old 14th Nov 2018 at 11:01 PM
I like sims to be pushed to where my sims is. I always see sims at parks and stuff, even when my sim isn't there, but I like more to show up when my sims arrive.
When I build places such as bowling alleys etc, I always add other objects of interest for them, like arcade machines or a pool table, and my venue always has sims at it. When adding a bar or a club to my town, I also only put one or two. Otherwise you end up with two sims at one bar, and perhaps three at another across town, and one in another place. If I just put one ( sometimes two but usually just one ) into my town, all sims go there, and my clubs are always full. They also love that claw machine that came with SN. I wish that I could find a mod that made them pay to use that.

I don't add things like Big Show venues or coffee houses or any SHT lots to my town either, I can't stand them. I normally just add two or three parks as well, one of them being a festival lot. I stick plenty of fun & skilling objects into the parks, and my sims are never without someone to interact with.

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
InnaLisa Pose Archive
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#244 Old 14th Nov 2018 at 11:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Pary
I don't add things like Big Show venues or coffee houses or any SHT lots to my town either, I can't stand them. I normally just add two or three parks as well, one of them being a festival lot. I stick plenty of fun & skilling objects into the parks, and my sims are never without someone to interact with.

Ha, we play a lot of the same ways. I can't stand them either. Honestly, I don't really even like the festivals that much. I actually have a mod that disables auto placement of festivals so I can place them on my own in a town if I choose to do so. More work for me yes, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Mad Poster
#245 Old 14th Nov 2018 at 11:19 PM
I like to build community lots so my sims have many places to go. So I probably do too many and that spreads the demand for sims to fill them too thin. I get bored if I send them to the same places over and over. I like to have many choices for them.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#246 Old 14th Nov 2018 at 11:26 PM
What's funny in my case is that in every save I have ever played, no matter what household I'm playing the gyms are always filled to the brim. Not the first venue on the list I'd expect to be booming, but I'm glad to see my Sims take physical fitness so seriously.

Mad Poster
#247 Old 14th Nov 2018 at 11:35 PM
I think the gyms in my game are pretty busy too, but I hardly ever send sims there. Maybe as I do not go to one even though sure should. (!)
Scholar
#248 Old 15th Nov 2018 at 2:11 AM
I prefer multi-purpose lots. Right now my busiest lot in town is a comic book store with book store RH, laundromat and spa with the RH and hot tub, sauna and massage tables. Half the town is basically living there.

The horizon of many people is a circle with a radius of zero. They call this their point of view. - Albert Einstein
Arathea's Area @ TFM's Sims Asylum - TS2 & TS3 Stuff
Mad Poster
#249 Old 15th Nov 2018 at 2:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by arathea
I prefer multi-purpose lots. Right now my busiest lot in town is a comic book store with book store RH, laundromat and spa with the RH and hot tub, sauna and massage tables. Half the town is basically living there.

LOL I have some lots that are loaded with RH rugs. Probably too many.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#250 Old 17th Nov 2018 at 6:07 PM
Fusing my and igazor's post together about people believing that TS3 is old, I can't understand why, why, why, why some people have this mentality:

"I hope EA keeps doing this with The Sims [keeping it modern and trendy]. I never understood why people liked things like those old [landline] phones in TS3, or newspapers. Or why someone would want to play as some old person. That's stuff my parents did/used/are. I can relate to this so much better!"

Well, that's great and all for you, but ya'do know that you didn't HAVE to play with any of that, right? A great thing to have is options, it lets you play however you want. But no, you're right, let's continue to throw in stale memes that are already a year late, whatever social media trends we possibly can to make the game more appealing. (I hope nobody thought that was serious.)

What people don't realize is the more you throw into this game that's current now, may not be even five years from now. It's going to be filled with dead memes, moments of extreme "huh?", and so on. I know that not everyone is a die hard fan that continues to play their favorite for years after the fact, but the issue is there.

Page 10 of 12