Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Apr 2024 at 7:33 PM Last edited by M.T.Pockets : 15th Apr 2024 at 3:23 PM. Reason: Round 2 has begun
Default Sims Spring Supreme Bracket Tournament ROUND 2
So as might have been seen three hours ago, the March Madness tournament from a decade ago was brought to my attention. Maybe this will be a flop, but I'd like to do it. I've made a bracket tournament featuring 128 sims. Just fill out the google form to vote! I'll be closing responses for this round at 7am on Saturday April 13th EST (Toronto, New York, etc).

Please let me know if you have any issues. I've never made a google form before.

I think I'll also share this in the sims wiki discord, because why not?

Currently, we are at round 2! This one will close at 5pm EST on Friday.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...orm?usp=sf_link

I was going to include a link to show pie charts of all the round one matches, but I can't seem to figure out how to get google to do that for me. I'll update with one eventually. If anyone has questions though please feel free to ask
Screenshots
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 8th Apr 2024 at 10:40 PM
Maybe you could explain what exactly a Supreme Bracket Tournament is? I guess by your post you think we all know, but humour us, some of us are old.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#3 Old 8th Apr 2024 at 11:24 PM
Jo, I think Bracket Tournament just means the contestants (in this case Sims) are bracketed together in pairs, and the judges (that's us) have to decide which one to choose out of each pair. I think the word "Supreme" is merely to show how good M.T.Pockets hopes the contest is going to be. (I don't think it means that Diana Ross and The Supremes are going to make an appearance! For those of you old enough to know who they are/were!!)

@M.T.Pockets : I'm not used to Google Forms. Is it possible to abstain in some of the pairs? In some cases I'm being asked to choose between two Sims whom I've never met, and I have no idea who they are.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 9th Apr 2024 at 7:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Maybe you could explain what exactly a Supreme Bracket Tournament is? I guess by your post you think we all know, but humour us, some of us are old.

Bracket tournament is as AndrewGloria described. I just called it Spring Supreme as a play on March Madness. Spring Spectacular was also considered. Also, I'm not sure what passes for old around here, but I certainly feel old. I went back to university a couple of years ago and am ten years older then my classmates which I have to say has been very strange. I appreciate that people on here seem to be older then that though! I feel like a lot of other fandoms are reserved for the youth.

Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
Jo, I think Bracket Tournament just means the contestants (in this case Sims) are bracketed together in pairs, and the judges (that's us) have to decide which one to choose out of each pair. I think the word "Supreme" is merely to show how good M.T.Pockets hopes the contest is going to be. (I don't think it means that Diana Ross and The Supremes are going to make an appearance! For those of you old enough to know who they are/were!!)

@M.T.Pockets : I'm not used to Google Forms. Is it possible to abstain in some of the pairs? In some cases I'm being asked to choose between two Sims whom I've never met, and I have no idea who they are.

I do know who they are! Sadly they will not be making an appearance. More importantly though, you can abstain from as many pairs as you want
Scholar
#5 Old 9th Apr 2024 at 1:47 PM Last edited by sturlington : 9th Apr 2024 at 4:26 PM.
I believe there are quite a few people on here who are not American, and March Madness seems like a particularly American thing. It's when we have our college basketball tournaments in March. All the teams are put in brackets up against each other and it's exciting because there can be some pretty spectacular upsets. Basketball is king where I live, and my university's basketball team, which is always highly ranked, is an example of one of those upsets from this year's NCAA tournament.

The defining characteristic is that the competition is organized into brackets, which may pit a dark horse against a top seed, and so there can be surprising upsets. Another form of this contest that I usually follow each year is the Tournament of Books (https://www.tournamentofbooks.com/).
Mad Poster
#6 Old 9th Apr 2024 at 2:09 PM
Yeah, March Madness made me think of Alice in Wonderland and the March Hare. XD
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 9th Apr 2024 at 2:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sturlington
I believe there are quite a few people on here who are not American, and March Madness seems like a particularly American thing. It's when we have our college basketball tournaments in March. All the teams are put in brackets up against each other and it's exciting because there can be some pretty spectacular upsets. Basketball is king where I live, and my university's basketball team, which is always highly ranked, is an example of one of those upsets from this year's NCAA tournament.

The defining characteristic is that the competition is organized into brackets, which may pit a dark horse against a top seed, and so there can be surprising upsets. Another form of this contest that I usually follow each year is the Tournament of Books (https://www.tournamentofbooks.com/).

Thank you for that! I'm not American either, but it's what the old tournament was called and I've heard the term a bunch so I thought I'd just do a play on that.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 9th Apr 2024 at 2:29 PM
Btw, your Tournament of Books link doesn't work because the ) is included in it.
Scholar
#9 Old 9th Apr 2024 at 4:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
Btw, your Tournament of Books link doesn't work because the ) is included in it.

Thanks, I fixed it.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 9th Apr 2024 at 4:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by M.T.Pockets
I certainly feel old. I went back to university a couple of years ago and am ten years older then my classmates which I have to say has been very strange. I appreciate that people on here seem to be older then that though! I feel like a lot of other fandoms are reserved for the youth.

You are a tiny child and I wish to pinch your widdle cheeks.

First, I'm 61 and I am far from the oldest person here.

Second - NO FANDOM IS RESERVED FOR THE YOUTH!!!!! You like what you like and you go out and enjoy it whatever way you enjoy it, and this is a sign of maturity. Younger people are always worried about aging out of their fandoms and it's so sad that so many people, with the world ahead of them, see nothing but a drab future where they aren't allowed to enjoy themselves on pain of...what, exactly? And who's going to enforce this nebulous penalty, the fandom police? When you get to actually be old you'll realize that you can do what you want forever and whoever doesn't like it can die mad about it, that's not on you; but happiness is having something to look forward to, and it's so sad to see the Youths without that.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Theorist
#11 Old 9th Apr 2024 at 7:23 PM
So I'm curious as how to you paired them up? I mean that was totally mean to pit
1. brother against sister, match 9 - Daniel Pleasant vs Jennifer Burb,
2. grandfather against granddaughter, match 18 - Herb Oldie vs Lilith Pleasant,
3. lovesick puppy and his unreciprocated love, match 32 Darren Dreamer vs Cassandra Goth
4. husband and wife, match 70 - Loki Beaker vs Circe Beaker

... there could be othes, but as I'm not familiar with any hoods others than Pleasantview and Strangetown I can't pick them out

yes I did vote .. but for those I didn't know who they were I left them blank .. but as debatin if maybe I should just pick one anyways ... hmm.. decisions, decisions ... :P
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 9th Apr 2024 at 7:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CaliBrat
So I'm curious as how to you paired them up? I mean that was totally mean to pit
3. lovesick puppy and his unreciprocated love, match 32 Darren Dreamer vs Cassandra Goth

... there could be othes, but as I'm not familiar with any hoods others than Pleasantview and Strangetown I can't pick them out

yes I did vote .. but for those I didn't know who they were I left them blank .. but as debatin if maybe I should just pick one anyways ... hmm.. decisions, decisions ... :P

I typed them all out and put them in a randomizer to get the match ups. I was amused by those match-ups too though and there are some more like Juliette Capp is against her cousin Hal Capp.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 9th Apr 2024 at 10:44 PM

Thank you and Andrew Gloria.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Meet Me In My Next Life
#14 Old 10th Apr 2024 at 2:32 AM
Lol I am American and older yet I have no idea of March Madness ( not really into sports ) But thanks to the members for explaining.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 12th Apr 2024 at 8:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CaliBrat

Feel free to vote for as many as you want. We could honestly use votes in match 33 (Luis Asipir vs Antonio Monty) and match 63 (Alexandra O'Mackey vs Sophia Jocque).

Also, to anyone reading this who hasn't voted yet, please feel free to vote! Voting doesn't close until tomorrow. There's one match that I can see everyone who has participated has voted in and its a tie! I don't know what to do about that because somehow I didn't foreseen that! So please do me a solid and vote in match 29 (Vidcund Curious vs Ophelia Nigmos).
Scholar
#16 Old 12th Apr 2024 at 9:23 PM
Titania and Goopy had better win- they're like the most powerful duo of all time so like I had to
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 13th Apr 2024 at 12:01 PM
Round one has now closed. I've closed the polls so that I can record the winners thus far, but there's three ties and I don't know what to do about it. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Theorist
#18 Old 13th Apr 2024 at 12:10 PM
Do a side vote with those 3 for an extra 24hours .. if it still's a tie at the end of that .. flip a coin :P
Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 13th Apr 2024 at 12:32 PM
Okay I have now made the match-ups minus the three ties which I have highlighted. I'm completely open to ideas of how to deal with them. I'm tempted to have Noa1500 break the Vidcund vs Ophelia tie since he/she/they are the only person who didn't vote in that bracket whereas ALL other participants did (based on timing and your comment it was easy to identify who didn't vote). However, as I was typing this Calibrat's comment came in. I'll be at work tomorrow so 24 hours doesn't work and I'll make it 48 hours closing at 7am EST on Monday.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#20 Old 13th Apr 2024 at 12:37 PM
Scholar
#21 Old 13th Apr 2024 at 8:53 PM
Okay I have now made the match-ups minus the three ties which I have highlighted. I'm completely open to ideas of how to deal with them. I'm tempted to have Noa1500 break the Vidcund vs Ophelia tie since he/she/they are the only person who didn't vote in that bracket whereas ALL other participants did (based on timing and your comment it was easy to identify who didn't vote). However, as I was typing this Calibrat's comment came in. I'll be at work tomorrow so 24 hours doesn't work and I'll make it 48 hours closing at 7am EST on Monday.

I hope my choices help
Test Subject
Original Poster
#22 Old 15th Apr 2024 at 3:17 PM
Round 2 is now live! Vidcund vs Ophelia came down to a tie again, but the coin flip has spoken so Ophelia is moving on. I'll be closing the next round at 5pm EST (Toronto, New York) on Friday.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...orm?usp=sf_link
Scholar
#23 Old 15th Apr 2024 at 5:59 PM
Vidcund was robbed!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#24 Old 15th Apr 2024 at 6:23 PM
Vidcund was robbed!

I know. I voted for him too, but the coin flip disagreed with me. He's still my favourite of the Curious brothers though.
Scholar
#25 Old 15th Apr 2024 at 7:31 PM
I know. I voted for him too, but the coin flip disagreed with me. He's still my favourite of the Curious brothers though.

Maybe consider having a zombie round? Have everybody vote on the eliminated Sims and bring back the favorites head-to-head as a bracket in a later round. Zombie round seems appropriate for the Sims 2!
Page 1 of 2