Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th May 2019 at 7:11 PM
Default What is going on with Facebook?
Haven't had a FB account for quite awhile, but I'm having a problem where they constantly want my cell phone #, no one gets personal info unless I want to share it. They shut down an account I had awhile ago over this. Now I just set up another account so I can join 2 groups there, one of which is the humane society so I can set up an appointment to get my puppy spayed. I hadn't done a single thing there and it went to a page citing suspicious activity and wanted my number. The account was open, confirmed thru email and I was reading to see what I should do next. There seems to be no way to email them, no forums to find information or any way to contact them unless I call or give them my number. I did find what was supposedly a forum to ask questions about your account but it kept automatically changing page to the same cell request, I could go back a page to where people asked questions but it repeatedly switched to the the other page.

Does anyone know how they can be contacted without sharing more info than I already did, or what can be done about their 'suspicious activity'?

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 15th May 2019 at 12:51 AM
I found the 'delete your account' button useful several years ago.

Sims are better than us.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 15th May 2019 at 1:54 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 16th Aug 2019 at 12:27 AM.
You may want to find that organization elsewhere. Organizations and such on FB can sometimes be rather iffy. If they're serious, they should at least have a contact number or mail that can be traced back to the actual organization. If they only have a FB account and not some website you can search up, I wouldn't trust it.

I think there's a report function on FB, but I'm not sure where they've hidden it now.

Ever since they did some weird changes that made it more or less unusable on my laptop (hogged memory like crazy), I've not bothered much with FB. I use FB to keep in contact with one of my friends, occasinally send birthday wishes, recieve them once a year, aaaand... that's it, really. Lately I've visited there less than once a week, for one of those two reasons. On occasion I've forgotten to check FB for a month or two at a stretch. The site is so messy and unorganized now that I don't even bother to scroll down the newsfeed.
dodgy builder
#4 Old 15th May 2019 at 9:48 AM
I have a very active account on FB, but I stay away from suspicious sites. There is suspicious sites everywhere on net. You always have to stay alert. I gave my phone number to FB in the end. I didn't want to in the beginning. Our national broadcaster made a "case" about it. It's not just FB though. Several of my sites keeps asking for a phone number. I have tried to say no, but sometimes I just lose patience with the constant nagging.

It's been said they do this because there is a trend to collect even more information about people. They use it for marketing among other things. I'm glad a have a serious virus program on my cellphone, I don't always feel that safe, with all the information we have on our phone these days, we are truly fucked if it gets stolen.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 15th May 2019 at 12:41 PM
Apparently facebook tracks you even if you don't have an account. Any website that has a "share to Facebook" icon is being tracked. I don't know how true that is though.

I just checked, and it would appear facebook has my phone number. I don't recall ever giving them it... especially not my newest one. I'm guessing it's because I have the app on my phone. Like many other people, I don't really use facebook much. Just for interacting with a few people via messanger.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Field Researcher
#6 Old 16th May 2019 at 1:39 AM
Facebook is just a mess. It's always people fighting about how terrible democrats are and posting pictures doing heroin with their 22 year old boyfriends at 16.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 16th May 2019 at 6:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by purplestuddedcoffin
Facebook is just a mess. It's always people fighting about how terrible democrats are and posting pictures doing heroin with their 22 year old boyfriends at 16.

Really? And I bet they don't even share it. Shameful that is.

For me it's just stupid cat memes and retarded "gotta prove something" type posts with those mock up motivational images. Like one cares about your need to flaunt your individuality.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Alchemist
#8 Old 16th May 2019 at 5:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by purplestuddedcoffin

Experimenting with drugs at a young age is one thing. Straight up skipping everything and starting with heroin is another. Jesus christ.

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#9 Old 16th May 2019 at 5:37 PM
Facebook... I thought it would be fun keeping up with my relatives and high school friends. Then I realized why I moved a thousand miles away. One of their changes in their lack of privacy policies and some of my relatives and friends getting all political was the deal breaker.

Sims are better than us.
Field Researcher
#10 Old 19th May 2019 at 12:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Johnny_Bravo
Experimenting with drugs at a young age is one thing. Straight up skipping everything and starting with heroin is another. Jesus christ.

They didn't skip everything, just started earlier.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 19th May 2019 at 11:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Emmett Brown
Facebook... I thought it would be fun keeping up with my relatives and high school friends. Then I realized why I moved a thousand miles away. One of their changes in their lack of privacy policies and some of my relatives and friends getting all political was the deal breaker.

Oh I hate that. Facebook has a way of making you lose respect for people you once respected. I have a family member that posts a lot about man-spreading feminist propaganda, and I often find myself thinking and wondering why they (and other people, for that matter) even care or pay attention to that idiocy? I don't want to be reminded about such stupidity when I'm trying to enjoy myself with the free time I have.

Facebook for me is mostly a way of keeping things centralized. I find the ability to log into most sites using FB to be very convenient and if it wasn't for that and the fact my Spotify is synced up with FB, I would remove my account.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Mad Poster
#12 Old 20th May 2019 at 7:01 PM
Facebook has been getting more desperate now that their reputation has tanked and a portion of the young, impressionable audience has left. The whole privacy/Big Data scare hasn't really done much to wisen people up but it's still made enough of an impression to sew distrust and that means Facebook has to exploit their userbase more aggressively.....I guess. I've never gotten around to deleting my account but it hasn't been used since 2014. Not a whole lot of politics on my timeline though a few of my high school friends did go down the alt-right path somewhat....either way, I can't relate to people who still use it. I hear people talking about Facebook as if it's still a big thing that everyone is on but to me, it's been dead for years.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
dodgy builder
#13 Old 20th May 2019 at 9:39 PM
I hardly ever post on my own page. I use it to participate in discussion and keeping up with people I have things in common with. Like people posting new science about my disease, or what's going on in my town the net few days, what the opera is doing in the near future etc.

I have a lot of people I used to play games with as friends. It's surpricingly entertaining to read about Trumps exploits, especially when I know I don't need to do anything about it. Some of my US friends also discuss things from different angles. It's not always fun when you realise your socalled friends are hard edged racists. There is really not much point in discussing though, I usually end up being given the silent treatment Things are just so different on the other side of the Athlantic.
Test Subject
#14 Old 22nd May 2019 at 5:01 PM
I have a FB account because mobile games ask it to save progress. Then I joined some art groups to see beautiful pics when I'm on, and that's all. I don't have any contacts.
Test Subject
#15 Old 5th Jul 2019 at 9:56 AM Last edited by Cloopy : 11th Jul 2019 at 3:51 PM.
Facebook has long been quite a bad place, but I discovered a tik tok for myself, damn it, there are such cool videos, I love hanging out there. In comparison with him, complete garbage. It is strange that I do not see here even those with questions like tik tok download for pc. I am sure that a huge amount of information on the hard disk will be occupied by video
Test Subject
#16 Old 13th Aug 2019 at 5:23 AM
The answer is quite simple – no. I reccomend you atompark account to use it . For example, Atomic Email Hunter pack was developed to extract emails from virtually any source, so it can easily handle emails from Facebook – just follow the steps below.
Field Researcher
#17 Old 13th Aug 2019 at 10:26 AM
FB is driving me nuts. Whenever I block a new "cool" function, it comes up with something new, even "cooler" and makes me block it again. What was the last one? Well, probably notifications about people commenting on something I had already seen scrolling down the newsfeed. Sounds logical. What was before that? Notifications about the latest films subscribed pages had uploaded. I don't usually watch films on FB, so why not spamming my notification list with countless "XYZ has uploaded a clip". Whenever I seeany of my friends share something totally stupid, I simply enter the page he/she shared it from and block it immediately. Some of my friends are such morons lol, but they don't realise that they behave like idiots on FB and everyone can see it. Example? Playing on human's emotions by sharing pictures of poor dogs and texts like "Gonna scroll down and ignore me?". I really hate this shit. Those people keep sharing this shit but don't even lift a finger to actually help those animals like donate some money or go to an animal shelter and do something productive. Hell, why? Better post a meaningless picture and gather likes to look as if you cared lol. I mainly block pages, many pages which, in my opinion, share idiocy, stir drama or promote anti-governmental fake news. Here's a full list of FB sites I've blocked so far.

If I lived on Mars, I would be pleased because the Earth is not my cup of tea
Scholar
#18 Old 15th Aug 2019 at 8:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Wojtek
FB is driving me nuts. Whenever I block a new "cool" function, it comes up with something new, even "cooler" and makes me block it again. What was the last one? Well, probably notifications about people commenting on something I had already seen scrolling down the newsfeed. Sounds logical. What was before that? Notifications about the latest films subscribed pages had uploaded. I don't usually watch films on FB, so why not spamming my notification list with countless "XYZ has uploaded a clip". ...

This, in addition to social media platforms trying their hardest to force "top stories" instead of "chronological", is the most annoying thing about social media to me. I miss the days when feeds were chronological and notifications were only for people messaging you, commenting on your posts, etc (you know, people interacting with us). Now they notify us over every darn thing.

At least Facebook allows you to turn off these notifications. Sure, they find a new type to pop up on you every once in a while, but then you turn it off and that's that for that type of notification. When sites like Twitter, Tumblr, and YouTube have begun doing this you literally can't even turn off the feature whatsoever. YouTube for some reason stopped, but there was a period of time where I got notified when channels I didn't even subscribe to uploaded a video. I'm like "Excuse me?!" And Twitter? Twitter is so flipping annoying with this. I only want notifications when someone messages me, follows me, comments on a post of mine, or likes it. Why is that so complicated? That's the way notification were for the longest time. I have no problem with people having options for the types of notifications they can receive, but gosh darn it, don't force it on me. There is no option to turn off these notifications.

Thank goodness, my phone has settings that prevents them from popping up on my phone itself. If I no longer had the option to turn that off, I think I'd lose my mind.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
Mad Poster
#19 Old 15th Aug 2019 at 11:00 PM
I don't like the "stories" function. Too much like Snapchat. At least on Snapchat it made sense. If I wanted everyone on my friends list to see something.. I'd just upload it to Facebook. Like I have done for the past 10 years

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Test Subject
#20 Old 5th Sep 2019 at 2:16 PM
I've cut FB short for some reasons just recently and started using Instagram. https://zen-promo.com/view_likes_on_instagram bot is the one that I really like to promote posts with. It provides the analytics that I need.