Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Apr 2017 at 3:50 PM
Default Regarding site access when banned
Hey guys,
So I caught a tempban last week for talking about piracy, because I was being stupid and forgot about the site rules, but when I had a question about my ban, I noticed that I didn't have access to any part of MTS. So I DMed @HugeLunatic about it on Tumblr, and they pointed out to me that I should still have access to Creator/Site Issues regardless of account status. And on top of that, apparently I wasn't supposed to be banned either. But I'm not sure what the specifics of that were. I had this same issue before, now that I think about it.

So I was told to post here, and to tag @Delphy. Now obviously I shouldn't be getting myself banned this often, so that's my responsibility.
Oh, and before I forget - when you're banned, it specifies the date until your forum access is restored, but also the warning maturity. It's kind of confusing if you don't know which is which.
Thanks.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 16th Apr 2017 at 12:27 AM
I'm not aware of banned users still having access to Site Issues - I've always been under the impression that, unless we have specifically banned someone from only one area of the site, banned means you can't access anything.

It is true that you shouldn't have been banned, though - the theft of IP warning only added 5 points to your account, but for some reason you have another 4 points which aren't accounted for by other active warnings. Also - the IP warning was only added four days ago, and the temp ban should be ten days... so if you had been banned as a result of that warning, you ought to still be banned.

Do you happen to know the precise start and end dates of the ban?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#3 Old 16th Apr 2017 at 8:58 AM
Grijze just why *are* you so anarchic? Are you totally sure you're not an incarnation of Claeric? And you were surprised you didn't get the moderator job lol!

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 16th Apr 2017 at 5:07 PM Last edited by GrijzePilion : 16th Apr 2017 at 5:43 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
I'm not aware of banned users still having access to Site Issues - I've always been under the impression that, unless we have specifically banned someone from only one area of the site, banned means you can't access anything.

@HugeLunatic told me that is the case - that banned users should still have access to these boards.

Quote:
It is true that you shouldn't have been banned, though - the theft of IP warning only added 5 points to your account, but for some reason you have another 4 points which aren't accounted for by other active warnings. Also - the IP warning was only added four days ago, and the temp ban should be ten days... so if you had been banned as a result of that warning, you ought to still be banned.

Yes, indeed. HugeLunatic changed the ban for me, so it expired yesterday.
Quote:
Do you happen to know the precise start and end dates of the ban?

Uh, April the 11th through the 22nd? You're not going to re-ban me, are you?
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Grijze just why *are* you so anarchic? Are you totally sure you're not an incarnation of Claeric? And you were surprised you didn't get the moderator job lol!

It's a combination of chronic clumsiness, and a very broad disregard for others' expectations. In this case, it's 100% the former. And who's Claeric?

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Site Helper
#5 Old 16th Apr 2017 at 5:56 PM
Claeric was a very intelligent young man whose tolerance for "stupidity" could be measured in negative numbers, and who didn't have the diplomatic skills to say things gently. He also had a few people who disliked him and made a game of baiting him, which to my mind was even less of a challenge than shooting fish in a barrel. Maybe a paralyzed fish? But he shared your chronic clumsiness and broad disregard for others' expectations until he was finally perma-banned.

(Which was a bit sad, because he was also a brilliant modder.)

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 16th Apr 2017 at 6:01 PM Last edited by GrijzePilion : 16th Apr 2017 at 6:56 PM.
Aha, a man after my own heart. The only differences are, I suddenly become really nice and ruly right after I'm banned from someplace.
It's not exactly my best trait, but it's true everywhere.
Ask /r/TheSims. I've gone back to say hi after they banned me. They, of course, banned me again - some 2 dozen times - but eventually gave up after I then showed up yet again. And I've hardly broken any rules since.
Then, the Reddit staff banned my IP, but somehow I showed up again.
Anyway, the other difference is that I do in fact know when to shut up - 90% of the time.

insert signature here
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#7 Old 16th Apr 2017 at 8:46 PM
I'm not going to reban you, no. I think the extra points must be a cumulative thing, to avoid a situation where someone carefully leaves 15 days between each instance of being an ass and thus never gets a temp ban (until some admin decides to do it manually).

I'll check about the site issues thing.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.