Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Jun 2010 at 7:14 PM
Default Stair issue - Seems to be "Stairs have invisible wall"
Hello,

I'm constructing a new lot (I call it as a base) which has 8-floor (4 "catacombs" + 4 normal floors) and I've encountered a problem which looks to be "Stairs" have something like a invisible wall.

The problem is in Ambitions expansion (EP2).

For instance, a Sim is on route to lower level and in front of stairs refuses to go on stairs and notifies about something like it is a wall right in front of him/her.

Also, problem is with opposite direction. When a Sim is about to reach end of stairwell, he turns back right before end of stairwell and returns back to lower floor. Then he/she turns ahead to stairwell and this procedure is repeated until Go To action (or other action which needs to use stairs, it doesn't matter what it is) is canceled.

Finally, I haven't any hacks/mods/cheats (like automatic TCE) installed.
Next, I haven't High-End Stuff pack installed, I don't have it, so updates for HELS are not present.
Also, games have latest updates installed (1.12, 2.27, Ambitions are retail, not updated yet, no patches available).

Also, I'll provide complete lot for investigations, if needed. This is only testing, not for playing. Entire Sims3pack is compressed via 7zip to save size for download.

Note: When playing/investigating, some holes (like 2x2 tile hole near stairwell) is expected place for lift, if any comes in next EP.
Attached files:
File Type: 7z  The Perga Base.7z (1.70 MB, 6 downloads)
Description: Testing lot, for investigations if needed.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 29th Jun 2010 at 9:18 PM
Default MTS2 Staff Reply
The stairs issues you are referring to are a known issue. Sims walk up the steps and turnaround and walk back down, repeat.
This generally occurs with stairs that are stacked over one another. It should work with the house turned in one direction but
not if the house is turned the other direction. Example: if the house front and back are north and south, try turning the house
east and west. The stairs will work in one direction but not the other.

Secondly, if you are building stacked stairs, make sure you delete the wall at the end of the stairs for each staircase that leads
to another staircase.

If I have missed one of your issues or not explained properly, let me know :)
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#3 Old 29th Jun 2010 at 9:35 PM
I'm moving this to Build Mode, that's where all the people who know stuff about stairs hang out. Look at the "Stacked stairs still a problem?" thread, I believe that somewhat answers your question =).

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 30th Jun 2010 at 8:13 AM Last edited by kaja8 : 30th Jun 2010 at 8:56 AM.
Ok, thanks for tips.

I forgot to tell you the neighborhood of origin, it's Twinbrook.
I'll test Sunset to make sure stairs are not working also in Sunset and if it will work, the problem will be in TWinbrook. Anyway EAxis should release a patch.

plasticbox:
Thanks for help, I appreciate it
I think there is problem with ceiling - I'll check it out and investigate it what happened. Maybe this is the cause - in despite of what I read in the thread what you suggested (I've already read it, maybe two weeks ago, just when the problem appeared).

Maybe it needs just manually remove ceiling, I don't know.

But Anyway, Thanks again for you help, I really Appreciate it.

Edit: after investigation:

The problem still occurs. Stairs automatically builds a wall in despite of there is fence or another stairwell as well.

I describe what I did (and when it worked)

First, I removed old stairs and then placed new stairs on original place, but opposite direction (to main gate, in direction to road) and it worked until I placed another stairs.

Second, I've built "control stairs" in another room (not in stairwell) and it worked, both directions.

Third, I removed all stairs and get lot to original state, I filled gaps with floor and then placed stairs. Didn't work.

plasticbox: I have a note, the gap (2x2 tile) is for elevator, I expect elevators in any EP or Stuff pack to complete lot. If the elevator will work for all 8 floors (tower+underground), stairs does not have to work but it'll be better if yes.