Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Oct 2007 at 3:18 AM
Default I'm wanting to learn how to mesh but dont know which softwear is best
hi I'm wanting to learn how to mesh but dont know which softwear to use.
I was given poser7 and my sister has 3 ds max and i can get a copy of milkshape or anything because my sister works as an achitect and her husband is an animater. i've read a few tutorials and still don't know which one in best. sounds though poser 7 isnt any good for the sims2. can anyone advise me which one(s) are the best.
i'm wanting to learn how to make objects and i'd like to advance my recoloring skills.

thanks
Advertisement
Fluffy
retired moderator
#2 Old 16th Oct 2007 at 6:29 PM
Milkshape is definitely the easiest of those to start with, mostly cause the tutorials are almost all geared towards it, and it has no conversion problems with Simpe.
3DS Max is used by some, but takes some messing about to get it to work with the Sims, i hear.
No one in this community used Poser, which probably means that it's either impossible, or very hard indeed to get the meshes to work in the game.
Test Subject
#3 Old 16th Oct 2007 at 7:29 PM
Poser isnt a design software, its more a 3D rendering engine. 99% of the content is made outside it, and imported in.

If you only plan on doing static mesh work like tables chairs, etc, 3DMax rocks. But if you are looking to do clothing and stuff I think its tougher.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 20th Oct 2007 at 8:29 PM Last edited by leushy : 20th Oct 2007 at 8:31 PM. Reason: spelling!
3d studio max is brilliant, and is definitely the best choice for sims 2 objects if you can get hold of it. if money is no object, i'd suggest grabbing a copy of cinema4d. it exports a negative index however, so you'll still need a copy of 3ds max to export your .obj with, but IMHO cinema4d makes much smoother and more attractive models than 3dsm. it also has adjustable smoothing, unlike 3dsm, which has 'this smooth or nothing!'.

in conclusion, 3ds max is the all-round best package for sims 2 modelling. but if you don't mind importing and exporting a little bit, cinema 4d is well worth the extra 2 minutes :-)

if you want something free and easy to start off with, try wings 3d, or blender (is blender still free?). personally i never liked milkshape, i found it quite 'clunky' and unfriendly.

have you used 3d software before? if not, start with wings 3d as it's got less features to confuse yourself with!

for general 3d modelling advice, do what i never did: follow the tutorials you find. actually follow them. make the object as you read, and you'll learn 70% faster than fiddling around by yourself
Field Researcher
#5 Old 21st Oct 2007 at 10:35 AM
3ds Max is and will always be my program of choice for meshing. It is completely limitless to what one can do with it. It can generate textures (including lighting, shadows, etc) according to an object's UV map.

However, if you are more into clothes, then I strongly suggest Milkshape. I actually use 3ds Max in conjunction with Milkshape when making animated objects.

I do not do requests; please don't ask!