Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Dec 2017 at 3:32 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default unremovable patterns/items?
Hi, all. I've had a small problem for quite awhile now but only now it has really started to annoy me. It's not game breaking, just annoying. Okay, so, every now and then when I open the launcher to remove a pattern or an object, the launcher tries to unisntall it but then gives a message saying that the item could not be uninstalled due to linkages/bindings. Even though I've removed cache files just in case and know that the item in question is not in use, it still gives me the message. Shouldn't we be able to uninstall anything we want and if the item in question is in use, just be replaced with something else? I only have small amount of patterns made by myself and store content in my launcher and it happens with single store items, too. And they're not bad/corrupted items, either. I can understand world items having linkages but single items and patterns? I read the trouble shooting and googled but found no one having the same problem as me. I'm really baffled by this.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 21st Dec 2017 at 5:13 PM
I've had this problem with a few items - I think it's because you have a world installed that requires those objects/patterns on one or more of the lots. The only work around I've found is to uninstall the world, then uninstall the objects/patterns, then clean the sims3pack with Sims3PackCleaner (removes cc included with the world), then reinstall the world.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Dec 2017 at 10:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by KatyFernlily
I've had this problem with a few items - I think it's because you have a world installed that requires those objects/patterns on one or more of the lots. The only work around I've found is to uninstall the world, then uninstall the objects/patterns, then clean the sims3pack with Sims3PackCleaner (removes cc included with the world), then reinstall the world.

That would make sense but like I said, even right now there's two patterns of my own that definitely are not in use anywhere in the world but refuses to be removed. I guess it's a bug of some sort in the launcher then or maybe some items leave somekind of ghost linkage into the game files. Thank you for the answer. I guess I'll have to do the whole world uninstall, then.
Instructor
#4 Old 21st Dec 2017 at 11:02 PM
I've had that, too, and with things that weren't currently nor ever used at all. Only example I can think of right now was a giant hot tub I've never used or downloaded, it must've come with some lot a hundred years ago when I was still young and stupid and installed s3packs without second thought Anyway, the thing could not be removed and threw an error 'cannot uninstall package with dependents'. It was as you said, not game breaking in any way and I could have just had one more hot tub in the game but it just annoyed me so much that it kept escaping my (rightful) wrath

So I found and downloaded the original thing, extracted it and when I opened the package with S3PE to poke around I found essentially 2 objects inside (which didn't show before even if you opened the s3pack with Custard). There were 2 OBJDs and 2 OBJKs and the second one was the base object, that appears on the level below I guess, it wasn't classified neither by function or by room so it didn't show up in any category. My guess is that was the 'dependent' that the launcher was throwing a tantrum about, but it couldn't be displayed with no category. So I got rid of it manually - copied the instance number from the package and used it to search all the dbcs (opening them with s3pe) - when I found where it was installed, I used this method to get rid of it.

All in all probably was more trouble than it was worth it, but still I refuse to be bested by a bathtub. So look for several objects in one or just in general something not right with the original file - and you could always try to remove it the hard way (backup before just in case).