Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Mar 2019 at 4:29 PM Last edited by kewpie : 19th Mar 2019 at 4:45 PM. Reason: edited to add world files.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default mod and cc "expiration date" (In general) of script, xml, cc, texture... etc.
I ALWAYS check my mods out, even when they say fully updated for patch 1.67/9. But I'd like to know this. Sometimes I go back and see cool, but very old mods on the site. The older they get, the more likely they are to be bugged. But some modifications never go bad. Here are my guesses. Could someone tell me if I'm about right and/or correct me when I'm wrong as a general guideline?

Script mods: These will almost always break if not updated to latest patch . I read very carefully to see if it still works in game. Even then, I'll test it solo before I put it in my mods folder, because it might be buggy and the people using don't realize it's causing errors seemingly unrelated to the mod. (This info is SUPER important to me, because sometimes the thing will seem to run fine for a few sims days/weeks, but it's very quietly corrupting and messing things up behind the scenes. By the time I catch it, savefile can be busted beyond repair.)

XML: These are all over the map. I will check them closely if they came before "big" changes like Seasons or Pets.

CAS CC genetics : I don't really get when and why these would be broken, but sometimes I hear they don't work anymore.. Maybe if they were made before certain supernaturals were introduced? ?? Sometimes eyes break, but why?

Clothes/hair: I have no idea when or why these expire, but they do. I'm guessing it has something to do with Seasons, but I don't really get why that wouldn't simply make it not tagged for outerwear.

CAS: Build/Buy : If its before Seasons, its probably no good bc it has nothing to tell it how to look when it snows.

Textures/Patterns: Is there any reason at all these would be broken (aside from user messing something up.)

SIMS: I'd really like to know what makes very old simfiles go bad, because I've downloaded some and they messed up my game big time -- like scripting error bad. And I don't really get why this would happen.

World files: I usually find multiple routing errors before I find anything game breaking. Mildly curious if those go bad. I've never had bad luck with worlds -- at least the ones I played longterm. Many might have been bugged, but I pitched them due to routing errors.

Anything else I'm missing? Aside from the Program Files/Utilities, I rarely use those at all.
Advertisement
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Mar 2019 at 3:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
I think generally for any of the mods I look for that pre-Pet or after-Pet update. If it is pre-pet, forget about it. If it is after-pet then it might still work even if it didn't say tested for 1.67.

Thank you. This is so helpful. I am back from a 4 year break from TS3 and forgot that this site keeps up everything even if it’s out of date. I wanted to know a rough cutoff date, so I’d stop looking at browse results before it.

Perfect answer. Thanks. I knew there’d be a patch number that would say “don’t even bother looking and anything older than this.” My gut said pets or seasons, but I thought maybe I didn’t think of a huge game changer (code wise)that came out even later.