Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Apr 2016 at 3:40 PM Last edited by alverdine : 8th Apr 2016 at 8:05 AM.
Default First PC build specs. Opinions? [Solved]
I'm compiling a list of parts for my first PC build. It should be strong enough to handle TS3 with all expansions, stuff packs, and a lot of store/cc items on high settings (also for CAD work later on), yet not break the bank.

These are the specs I've put together so far *clicky* - prices are in $AUD and honestly it's a bit more than I'd like to spend, so, I'd love to get some opinions on whether it's just good enough, overkill, or overkill in some areas while lacking in others. Would it be wise to spend less on some parts and invest more in others? Have I balanced it well? Etc.

I'm pretty noob when it comes to computer tech and although I've spent a lot of time reading though guides and forums lately there are still some things I'm unsure about (mainly to do with graphics cards, man those hierarchies are confusing) and any help would be greatly appreciated ^-^
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 6th Apr 2016 at 4:21 PM
Do you plan on overclocking? If not think about using a non-K cpu, a cheaper motherboard and foregoing the CPU fan.

Also I would suggest checking out the newer processors. The i5-6400 is only about 9% slower than the i5-4690K you chose, but it's 26% cheaper. Also the newer motherboard have support for USB Type-C and M.2 sockets.

Check out this build. It has the newer processor, DDR4 RAM (technically faster, 2666Mhz!) and a 240GB SSD instead of the 120GB in your initial build. Motherboard supports USB Type-C and M.2. It's also about AUD 120 cheaper. Drawback is that it's not overclockable and CPU is about 9% slower. GPU is the same though.

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/Vt3WMp

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($262.00 @ IJK)
Motherboard: Asus H170M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($159.00 @ CPL Online)
Memory: Kingston FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($67.00 @ IJK)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.00 @ Centre Com)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.00 @ Centre Com)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 4GB Video Card ($299.00 @ CPL Online)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($159.00 @ CPL Online)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($92.00 @ IJK)
Total: $1206.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-07 01:21 AEST+1000
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Apr 2016 at 4:55 PM
Thanks for such a quick reply

Honestly not sure if overclocking capability is something I'll ever utilise but part of me wants it, just so I'll have it. Lots of forums I've read regarding that were full or people recommending the K processor and z97 motherboard, but I guess they're just really hardcore enthusiasts. Would overclocking those parts see a significant performance improvement anyway?
Sorry but what are the USB type C and M2s for?

The original 600W power supply I felt was a bit overkill but again, that was picked based on reading tech forums full of people saying "yeeaahhh, beef it up!", ha, I think you're right about that one.
I also like the idea of having a larger SSD so that's another good switch. Question: if I have the OS and TS3 plus all expansions and stuff packs installed on the SSD, do I also need to install the CC and store stuff on the SSD?
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 6th Apr 2016 at 4:58 PM
Also what makes a bigger difference in Sims performance - better GPU or CPU?
Scholar
#5 Old 6th Apr 2016 at 6:17 PM
Overclocking is giving your CPU and GPU more juice to push it to work harder. You mileage may vary. Some people get 25% increase, some people get more. You'll have to invest in a CPU cooler, a more efficient and reliable PSU, a K CPU and a Z series motherboard though. The actual increase you'll be able to get depends on your luck as well. There's no guarantee that you'll be able to squeeze as much out of your CPU as others are with theirs.

USB Type-C is a new USB standard that allows faster data transfer, fast charging and its reversible (meaning you can't miss it by putting it in upside down anymore). M.2 is a new connection type for internal components. It serves the a similar purpose as SATA, IDE etc. It's better though, I think.

You don't *have* to have your CC and store stuff on your SSD, but it's kinda complicated to not. Also your load times will suffer if they aren't.

As for sims performance, I think it scales more linearly with CPU than it does with GPU. Once you get to the GTX 960 level, you won't see any more FPS (framerate) improvement the more you invest. Same with CPU once you reach a certain level. However, SSD and CPU speed will both help with load times. The more stuff you need to load (such as CC, Sims, Lots, Store Items, Stuff Packs, Xpacks etc.), the more you'll see CPU and SSD speeds help you out.
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 7th Apr 2016 at 3:07 AM
Well darn, I spent nearly a full day putting the first list together and I think I'm just going to go with the one you posted. I like the idea of having a larger SSD and the fact that overall it's a bit cheaper. Don't think I would have ended up overclocking anyway.

Thanks for being such a great help
Scholar
#7 Old 7th Apr 2016 at 10:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by alverdine
Well darn, I spent nearly a full day putting the first list together and I think I'm just going to go with the one you posted. I like the idea of having a larger SSD and the fact that overall it's a bit cheaper. Don't think I would have ended up overclocking anyway.

Thanks for being such a great help

No worries. I'm glad I was able to help.