Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Mar 2016 at 4:29 AM
Default PSA: There are reports that Microsoft is automatically starting the Windows 10 upgrade without permission.
Taken from reddit:

Quote:
EDIT UP TOP: To prevent this from happening. Ensure that Windows Update "KB 3035583" is not selected.

This bricked my Dad's computer last weekend.

Destroyed my RAID drive today.

And many of my friends on FB have been reporting this happening too.

Good luck to the rest of you.

There are couple of solutions provided in the reddit thread:

GWX Control Panel (last updated Jan 24, 2016): http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

DisableWinTracking (last updated Sep 26, 2015): https://github.com/10se1ucgo/DisableWinTracking

Aegis for Windows 7/8.x (last updated Mar 10, 2016): https://voat.co/v/technology/comments/853510

user caffeine_buzz offers this do-it-yourself advice: https://www.reddit.com/r/technology...rted_as/d0wpezh
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 16th Mar 2016 at 2:31 AM
I can confirm that this is happening, Windows tried to do this to me this weekend and I stopped it.

This should be a crime, I paid over $120 for a brand new copy of Windows 7 a year and a half ago, Microsoft has no right to try and force me to use another version. If you ask me someone should go to jail for this because it is nothing less then fraud.

I don't care if I can't run any games I am sick of paying microsoft a fortune and being stabbed in the back for my trouble, I am in the middle of downloading a copy of a Lunix based OS and it will take a few weeks but once I am done I am wiping all traces of Windows and Microsoft's other con jobs from my PC and I am never looking back.

This is what treating your costumers like trash gets you Microsoft, I have been using your OSes since 95, but never again will I touch anything your company has had anything to do with.

My PC specs.
Windows 7 64 bit,AMD FX 4300 quad core processor, 8 gigs DDR3 ram, 1 gig Geforce 9500 graphics card, patch 1.67.2
Every time I reinstall the game I run it clean without any CC, not even the store bought stuff so it isn't CC or mods that cause me trouble.
Theorist
#3 Old 16th Mar 2016 at 3:03 AM
What a scummy thing to do. Thanks for the heads up - I turned off automatic updates which should prevent it assuming the article I read is up to date.
Scholar
#4 Old 16th Mar 2016 at 3:10 AM
Wow, this tin-foil hat idea of mine from a previous thread on why I still play The Sims 2 is coming true. The theory being that they can install anything they want on your computer without a user's consent.

And I predict they will get away with doing it. Oh sure, a class-action lawsuit will occur, but it won't stop Windows' behavior. A billion dollars in damages? Sure, no problem. That won't change their business practices. They'll pay it out to silence the crowd of protesting users.

Thank goodness I use Windows XP. No overreaching hand of Microsoft to take control of my PC via the Internet. Although, most likely I'm wrong, and they could create some "critical update" disguised as the Windows 10 OS.

Check out my latest version of Superman's Classic Uniform for The Sims 2.
See what images I have posted on DeviantArt as well related to The Sims 2 and designs.
Also check out My Website to see my superhero uniform creations for The Sims 2. THANKS!!!
Instructor
#5 Old 16th Mar 2016 at 5:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by d_dgjdhh
Wow, this tin-foil hat idea of mine from a previous thread on why I still play The Sims 2 is coming true. The theory being that they can install anything they want on your computer without a user's consent.

And I predict they will get away with doing it. Oh sure, a class-action lawsuit will occur, but it won't stop Windows' behavior. A billion dollars in damages? Sure, no problem. That won't change their business practices. They'll pay it out to silence the crowd of protesting users.

Thank goodness I use Windows XP. No overreaching hand of Microsoft to take control of my PC via the Internet. Although, most likely I'm wrong, and they could create some "critical update" disguised as the Windows 10 OS.

Yeah XP is great, as long as you never want to use more then four gigs of ram being that it is only 32 bit, when you want to edit video that isn't much to work with.

I say that we need a whole new set of laws to protect users, laws should state that if a user's rights are violated in any way or they are forced to get an upgrade they don't want the board of directors of the company and the CEO should get life in prison and no chance at parole, that way they would police themselves and this sort of thing would never happen. Either that or pass a law that says that since the people who buy software have no rights then it is against the law to charge any money what so ever for a piece of software and all software has to be free. That would get the greedy corporations out of the software game and it would end with only people who make software for the love of programing making software and this sort of garbage would never happen because there would be no profit in it.

Maybe these ideas are too extreme but I think we need some form of new laws to protect consumers, because this is insane and out of control. I mean these are the same tactics the mob uses to get protection money, pay us or we will wreck your stuff. If you ask me Microsoft should be treated the exact same way as the mob and be shut down and everyone in charge should get life in prison. This is a protection racket, no ifs, ands, or buts.

My PC specs.
Windows 7 64 bit,AMD FX 4300 quad core processor, 8 gigs DDR3 ram, 1 gig Geforce 9500 graphics card, patch 1.67.2
Every time I reinstall the game I run it clean without any CC, not even the store bought stuff so it isn't CC or mods that cause me trouble.
Scholar
#6 Old 16th Mar 2016 at 6:35 AM
Windows XP comes in a 64-bit version that can use more than 4 gigs of RAM. It was Windows XP 64-Bit Professional Edition. It may not have been available for home usage, but for businesses it was for sale.

I don't think prison time would help to deter that behavior. Sending a couple of people to jail won't stop the company from its behavior because they can merely hire new people to fill those positions. Whatever the punishment, though, it has to be a long-term effect until such time that the company goes back to good business practices. It has to effect the pocket books of the company. This punishment should have a worldwide consequence, in the sense that it has to be enforced wherever MS goes.

Check out my latest version of Superman's Classic Uniform for The Sims 2.
See what images I have posted on DeviantArt as well related to The Sims 2 and designs.
Also check out My Website to see my superhero uniform creations for The Sims 2. THANKS!!!
Instructor
#7 Old 16th Mar 2016 at 11:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by d_dgjdhh
Windows XP comes in a 64-bit version that can use more than 4 gigs of RAM. It was Windows XP 64-Bit Professional Edition. It may not have been available for home usage, but for businesses it was for sale.

I don't think prison time would help to deter that behavior. Sending a couple of people to jail won't stop the company from its behavior because they can merely hire new people to fill those positions. Whatever the punishment, though, it has to be a long-term effect until such time that the company goes back to good business practices. It has to effect the pocket books of the company. This punishment should have a worldwide consequence, in the sense that it has to be enforced wherever MS goes.

If it is the people at the top going to prison they will send the order down the chain to stop, that is why companies now stomp on sexual harassment when that used to be an every day part of life, because the people at the top were punished.

Then again if you are right then there is another solution, shut all the guilty companies down and never let them reopen for any reason, or use my second solution and make it a crime to charge money or make any kind of profit off of the sale of software and that would stop it dead in it's tracks.

One thing is for sure the growth of tech has out paced the laws that protect people using it and that needs to change ASAP.

My PC specs.
Forum Resident
#8 Old 22nd Mar 2016 at 2:39 AM
Yep, happened to me.... spent 2 days trying to fix my sims game before giving up and re-installing windows 7. However it keeps nagging at me and will probably happen again.
I'm so mad, I think I'm gonna find the local MP (Politician) that deals with such things and get him to take it up with the European commission as an example of monopolizing behaviour. They done this before and fined Microsoft millions. They forced Microsoft to stop forcing Explorer as the only browser.

It was funny, microsoft claimed they were only one of a number of companies competing in a fair playing field. Judge just asked the courtroom to put up their hands if they had windows installed and nearly everyone, including the judge did..... Good enough evidence to suggest unfair market dominance.
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#9 Old 25th Mar 2016 at 10:01 PM
Sims 2, 3 and 4 all work in Windows 10. I upgraded my system and it works fine. And, Sims 3 works better, even when using all the EP/SPs. (It doesn't lag or freeze like it did on Windows 7.

Microsoft is 'encouraging' and sending the upgrade update because of security holes in older versions of Windows. And FYI, Windows has always set it up to automatically install updates. To turn them off, you'd need to go in and manually turn off auto-updates. Windows 10 has Edge. Not Internet Explorer. You can use Edge to download and install Chrome, Firefox or whatever you like as long as it is compatible with Windows 10.