Welcome to
Mod The Sims
Online: 1087
News:
Have an account? Sign in:
pass:
If you don't have an account, why not sign up now? It's free!
Other sites: SimsWiki
 Replies: 8 (Who?), Viewed: 770 times.
Search this Thread
Old 13th Feb 2018, 9:23 PM DefaultReal Life Inspiration #1
tunafishfish
Original Poster

Instructor

2 Achievements

I went for a walk today to take pictures of my favorite houses to see if I could try to recreate them in my game. Does anyone else do that? The ones that inspire me are kind of craftsmen/early 20th century homes. Some have popped the top or put extension after extension on the back. I feel like such a creeper wandering around the neighborhood taking pictures of houses on my phone. Maybe I'll do a series of these houses. I also want to try and make an apartment complex like I live in. Maybe I'll just make the floorplan and have it be a stand alone starter house. Here are my three favorite houses:
Screenshots
Click image for larger version

Name:  purple house.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  872.6 KB   Click image for larger version

Name:  blue house.jpg
Size:  727.0 KB   Click image for larger version

Name:  gray house.jpg
Size:  830.9 KB  
Old 14th Feb 2018, 12:23 AM #2
SimmyRN
Scholar

20 Achievements

Oooh, those would all make really nice builds - especially the fuschia/purple one! Don't feel bad. I've been known to take pictures, too, but mostly of commercial/community buildings. I tend to like "city" type commercial buildings so I'm often thinking as I drive around or visit somewhere "hmm, that would make a really good Sims 3 build". I do look at houses for features that make them "realistic" as well. As you said, add ons, unusual dormers or roofs, a row of houses that started out the same but have had changes over the years, etc.
Old 14th Feb 2018, 1:06 AM #3
tunafishfish
Original Poster

Instructor

2 Achievements

You'd love this yellow house then, Simmy! It looks just like the other bungalows from the front, but when you walk to the side, it sprouts off diagonally! There's 4 others on the block in this construction, each slightly different.

I really want to know how the turret on the purple house connects to the rest of it.
Screenshots
Click image for larger version

Name:  green roof house.jpg
Size:  380.6 KB   Click image for larger version

Name:  green roof house extension.jpg
Size:  571.2 KB   Click image for larger version

Name:  little red house.jpg
Size:  836.7 KB   Click image for larger version

Name:  blue dormer house.jpg
Size:  876.4 KB  
Old 14th Feb 2018, 5:43 PM #4
Ferguson Avenue
Scholar

18 Achievements

View My Journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunafishfish
I went for a walk today to take pictures of my favorite houses to see if I could try to recreate them in my game. Does anyone else do that?

Only all the time! Except I've now taken visiting houses/museums that are open to the public too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tunafishfish
I really want to know how the turret on the purple house connects to the rest of it.

At the risk of out-creeping you, I think I recognise the purple house, I believe it started out life as Stick Victorian style Palliser, Palliser & Co. design:

In which case, the floor space in the tower is part of the hallway/stairwell and then part of the attic.
Old 14th Feb 2018, 6:17 PM #5
Volvenom
dodgy builder

17 Achievements

View My Journal

I wouldn't feel bad taking pictures of houses in open territory. I have been around town taking pictures of iconic buildings several times. I have never really tried to build them though. I usually google for buildings to build, because that way I can also find floorplans to match.

I totally forgot I tried building LeCorbusiers house in Paris once. It turned out to be too difficult so I ended up using the inspiration and tips he gave instead. I built his livingroom once, in a replica, but I was missing several rooms in the house, so I couldn't make it exact. That is very often the case, I have to fill in the blanks from my imagination.
Old 14th Feb 2018, 6:59 PM #6
Norn
Scholar

13 Achievements

Yes, I do that all the time. Not around my home town, but whenever I travel.

Here and here are some pictures I took of houses in Maine.
Old 14th Feb 2018, 7:08 PM #7
Volvenom
dodgy builder

17 Achievements

View My Journal

I took some pictures of old houses in Oslo some time ago.

Oslo, Grunerløkka - Rodeløkka by Volvenom, on Flickr

I thought this little house was kind of cute.
Old 16th Feb 2018, 7:44 AM #8
Johnny_Bravo
Alchemist

14 Achievements

View My Journal

@Ferguson Avenue
Wow, that Palliser & Co. design looks fantastic. Dream home material right there.

@Norn
Lovely pictures. The area looks exactly like how I imagine Maine and New England and co.

If there'll be too many humans wherever I have to go, I'd rather stay home
Old 16th Feb 2018, 11:32 PM #9
tunafishfish
Original Poster

Instructor

2 Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferguson Avenue
Only all the time! Except I've now taken visiting houses/museums that are open to the public too.

At the risk of out-creeping you, I think I recognise the purple house, I believe it started out life as Stick Victorian style

No worries, it's cool that it's a well-known design. I don't tend to do historic house tours much, but I swear my mother dragged me on every historic house and garden tour up and down the east coast. She'd also go to open houses for fun with her friends. I'm more interested in humble homes like you'd find normal people living in.

Section jump: