Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#11476 Old 21st Mar 2019 at 4:53 PM Last edited by kewpie : 21st Mar 2019 at 6:23 PM.
Just got the Prism Art studio. Discovered the animations are so detailed. It’s very soothing to watch your sim blow glass. It’s beautiful and probably the best item I’ve seen in the game. Overpriced, but kinda worth it... I don’t regret paying too much, but I’ll admit –- I paid too much. I just don’t mind cause ., ehh. Why not.

Discovered that when they make jewelry, it simply unlocks it in CAS. That makes perfect sense, but I was a doofus and thought there’d be something in my inventory when I finished. I kept looking for it, thinking something was broken. When I figured it out, I felt super stupid.

My only complaint is that the skilling is way too fast and cheaty. Haven’t seen a mod for it, but I’m willing to learn xml just to fix that. My sim made one object and was level 2 when finished.

I don’t have much of the premium content, but it seems all of it is way too cheaty. As if they think we will feel ripped off if the stuff isn’t super easy and overpowered. Sims isn’t like MMO rpg. We don’t buy stuff to get more powerful moodlets or easier money... promise!

EDIT: Taught myself how to make specific skills slower with nraas Relativity! YAY! Edited to add: YES you DO get the item in your inventory. I just didn't see it. Man I'm a doofus.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#11477 Old 21st Mar 2019 at 5:27 PM
I wonder how linear skill gain is. I could definitely see a Sim level up from 0 to 2 over the process of one project (mostly because I'm a 2 at many things myself). But I definitely don't see a Sim go from level 8 to level 9 on a single project, unless it's much more complex and involved than the first one. I'd cite my episodes having gone from a level 1 or 2 in the first one to a level 6 or 7 in the third one, but you haven't seen it yet and it's an unfair comparison because I do dozens of screentests and other videos in the process. I imagine that most skills are hobbies, and hobbies would be built through a variety of projects of different sizes and complexities.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#11478 Old 21st Mar 2019 at 5:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AGuyCalledPi
And since TS3's lighting engine is incredibly bad at realistic outdoor atmospheric lighting, you kind of have to do it yourself.

Contrary to what some may think, TS3 wasn't really going for a realistic aesthetic. It went for a more depressing cartoon aesthetic. That's why one has to spend so much time tweaking it into something it never intended to be.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Mad Poster
#11479 Old 21st Mar 2019 at 8:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kewpie
Just got the Prism Art studio [...]

My only complaint is that the skilling is way too fast and cheaty. Haven’t seen a mod for it, but I’m willing to learn xml just to fix that. My sim made one object and was level 2 when finished [...]

EDIT: Taught myself how to make specific skills slower with nraas Relativity! YAY!

Glad you had success in using Relativity for that one, I never did. The Artisan skill gain function is broken with its insanely high gains per object crafted as you had seen and while it does show up on Relativity as open to accepting gain factors, no matter how small a factor many of us enter (0.2, 0.1, 0.01, etc.) it seems to have no impact. What I usually end up doing is using MasterController (MC Cheats module) to shove the skills levels back down one or two after each creation until they end up at Level 10 or so anyway over time. We've asked our developer to look at this but he couldn't find a way to fix the skill gains because the skill is from store premium content only. This was years ago though and he might have been looking at through the viewpoint of Overwatch rather than Relativity.
Scholar
#11480 Old 21st Mar 2019 at 9:40 PM
Yeah. I figured that out right after I posted. But I now know how to do it IF it worked... When I wrote this, I was like.. yay! I did the right thing.. it's going to work. It didn't.

I am so glad to hear that I didn't do anything wrong. So I learned that..

Edit to add: I tried relativity, master control (thought maybe I could slow the sim's learning down if I couldn't slow the skill. Didn't work)
Mad Poster
#11481 Old 22nd Mar 2019 at 4:13 AM Last edited by igazor : 22nd Mar 2019 at 4:25 AM.
If there is a fix out there for the broken far too-rapid Artisan skill gains, perhaps someone could be so kind as to point us towards it instead of just hitting Disagree on my post? I would really like a solution for this one myself.
Scholar
#11482 Old 25th Mar 2019 at 4:50 AM
Avant-garde sims will critique just about any decorative object in front of them. Ooh! Box of tissues. Nice. Stack of old tires! Love it! Sculpture I just made: ehh. It’s no stack of old tires... but it’s ok.
Mad Poster
#11483 Old 25th Mar 2019 at 5:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kewpie
Avant-garde sims will critique just about any decorative object in front of them. Ooh! Box of tissues. Nice. Stack of old tires! Love it! Sculpture I just made: ehh. It’s no stack of old tires... but it’s ok.

One of my favorite posts on the EA forums, probably wouldn't be able to find it now, was a player confused as to why their artistic sim was spending hours sketching what looked like an ordinary toilet. You couldn't see it on-screen, but I did have to ask if their was a delightful deco object just behind the toilet that had captured their attention and that they may have been sketching instead, and of course there was as expected a toilet paper roll/holder there.
Lab Assistant
#11484 Old 25th Mar 2019 at 9:56 AM Last edited by TheThirdWizard : 25th Mar 2019 at 9:56 AM. Reason: typos
Yesterday I discovered that the Sailor trait that the Island Paradise EP added does not inspire the Presenting the Perfect Private Aquarium LTW. Why might that be so? One of the effects of the Sailor trait is that it makes sims more likely to get high quality fish if they are fishing from a boat. Then, besides the Grand Explorer LTW (discover all the uncharted islands), which is already inspired by the Sailor trait, and which I cannot complete, as my world has some islands, but none uncharted, which would be the best LTW for a sailor sim? Wouldn't it be catching 13 different perfect fish and putting them in an aquarium, since the sims with this trait gain bonuses to fishing while in a boat?

I'm now glad that due to my lack of patience, I gave him this LTW with MC. The only LTWs that kept popping up were Surrounded by Family and the witch LTWs (He is adopted and I couldn't know that he's a witch before adopting him). As my last game was literally witch-only (every descendant of my sims was born with magical powers, no matter that one of their parents was squeaky-clean human), I got bored of witchy stuff, and I wanted to give him a different LTW, even if he'll learn a bit of spellcasting as well. He also came into the family with some traits that I find very casual and boring together: Good, Perfectionist, Family Oriented, aging up to receive Sailor.
Field Researcher
#11485 Old 29th Mar 2019 at 10:49 AM Last edited by Giga : 29th Mar 2019 at 11:18 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
One of my favorite posts on the EA forums, probably wouldn't be able to find it now, was a player confused as to why their artistic sim was spending hours sketching what looked like an ordinary toilet. You couldn't see it on-screen, but I did have to ask if their was a delightful deco object just behind the toilet that had captured their attention and that they may have been sketching instead, and of course there was as expected a toilet paper roll/holder there.

But toilets can be art! I'm sure somebody who is more interested in culture can immediately find symbolism in that. Damn, now I want to go and build an art gallery.

I must be the least observant player but I had no idea plumbobs can do this:

edit// why do my pics show humongous on this board? And then they end up looking so pixelated. I have to make my pics smaller and then they get a blurry look.
Mad Poster
#11486 Old 2nd Apr 2019 at 8:54 AM
One of the names the Plumbots can get randomly is B3ND4R, which is leet speak for Bender which is the name of a robot character from Matt Groening's Futurama.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Test Subject
#11487 Old 8th Apr 2019 at 7:59 PM Last edited by lahmot : 9th Apr 2019 at 6:11 PM.
My elder sim got taken by the grim reaper and then I saw "Harass" on the cat's queue - the cat harassed the grim reaper, apparently.
A few moments later, my sim is brought back to life, all thanks to the cat!!
I'm still shocked.
Scholar
#11488 Old 14th Apr 2019 at 3:53 PM
I did discover a way to add small animals to the family but Ea sure did a good work making the process as complicated as can be.

The family cat did catch a chinchilla. I did not see her do that, I just got the message and I thought I would give it a try. So I did get the family a small pet terrarium but I could not add the animal by using the hand tool myself. No, first I had to have the cat handing over the little furball to someone and then I have to take the animal out of this sims catalog, place it on the floor and put it in it's new home (shakes head). Anyway, it was a nice thing to see because now I know that it works.
#11489 Old 14th Apr 2019 at 6:51 PM
Sometimes a Sim can look creepy when they smile.
Scholar
#11490 Old 18th Apr 2019 at 3:41 AM
Especially when they're dancing. If I were in a club, or at a party, and somebody started dancing in front of me with that expression on their face, I'd leave. Very quickly.

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Scholar
#11491 Old 18th Apr 2019 at 6:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lahmot
My elder sim got taken by the grim reaper and then I saw "Harass" on the cat's queue - the cat harassed the grim reaper, apparently.
A few moments later, my sim is brought back to life, all thanks to the cat!!
I'm still shocked.

If your cat was also a ghost you could pretend that it was your patronus and the reaper was a dementor

If you like my mods. Consider supporting me on Patreon
Check out my website for updates on my mods and other work PuddingFace.wixsite.com
Check out my Youtube channel for tutorials(modding tutorials) and other content Youtube

Follow me on Twitter Instagram Pinterest Tumblr
Scholar
#11492 Old 19th Apr 2019 at 10:54 PM
A sim who is a diva and a bot fan is hilarious. Invited a townie in and he put on his cardboard bot suit and started singing like a diva in it
Mad Poster
#11493 Old 20th Apr 2019 at 12:17 AM
I've recently discovered that there's a way to convert Sims3pack files into package files. So I don't have to open the launcher and go through all that loading whenever I wanna add CC. Kinda mad at myself for not looking into that years ago.

The Receptacle still lives!
Scholar
#11494 Old 22nd Apr 2019 at 4:34 PM
OK, please note that I'm new to the game...

I just had the Base game and Pets installed and installed Generations. I was a little disappointed as this EP more turned out to be a SP for kids stuff but I did not bother. Instead I played my family and by passing the shower whit mouse pointer I did notice a new option. I went back and saw that my active sim had the option to "WooHoo whit..." Me: "Really? In the shower? Oh, kinky..." But I'm sure you all know about this.
Mad Poster
#11495 Old 22nd Apr 2019 at 4:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mrmo
Me: "Really? In the shower? Oh, kinky..."

On the contrary, starting out (or ending) the day with conveniently maxed out fun and hygiene levels is considered by most experts on the subject (?) to be quite healthy. ANYthing can be considered "kinky" if viewed at from enough different angles.
Scholar
#11496 Old 28th Apr 2019 at 12:40 PM
Last time I did play TS3 I also did discover that the family cat was on the toilet. I thought she was going to use it (they can be trained to do that in TS2) but she was not. She was playing whit the toilet! She have never done that before...

Alchemist
#11497 Old 12th May 2019 at 11:21 AM
That the fighting in a bar animation is slightly different. The two sims will push each other for a bit and then get into the classic cloud

what does his name even mean?
Scholar
#11498 Old 13th May 2019 at 4:28 AM
Today I re-learned something I ought to have remembered:-

If you use Nraas Master Controller to 'open' a residential lot, make sure you close it again before going into Edit Town. Because if you don't and you edit another lot in build/buy mode you'll find when you go back into live mode that sims all over town have been booted out of whatever rabbit holes they were in. The kids will all be skipping school and your adult sims, and every other sim that works in a rabbithole, will be standing outside passing the time of day and missing work. Like I said, I ought to have remembered this, but didn't. Whoops!

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Top Secret Researcher
#11499 Old 13th May 2019 at 4:33 AM
How do you use MC to open a residential lot?

Sims are better than us.
Mad Poster
#11500 Old 13th May 2019 at 6:16 AM
On the lot menu, NRaas > MC > Open. If the lot is already open, then "Close" will appear instead.

One thing I learned very recently from another player is that if you run the Close command on City Hall, then you get a list of all lots that have been left Open by the MC command possibly by accident, if there are any that have been left that way. It's really easy to lose track after a while. Although they are supposed to close themselves back up again on the next reload, in my experience they don't always do that. Too many lots being left open can be a significant drain on game resources because the sims living on these lots stay animated all of the time within their homes.
Page 460 of 490