Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Nov 2018 at 5:20 PM
Default Custom Content has repeatedly broke my game, is it me or something else??
So, I got ahold of Sims 4 a few years ago and I really took off with mods, but they keep breaking my game. I've tried everything to try to fix it and it has just led me to reinstall my game. I mostly use CC on my game, I have very few mods, only MC Command Center and UI extension. My knowledge of mods is probably a 4/10, I get the basics but I truly don't get what is going on with my game. Now, this may sound dumb, but I'm curious if it is the mods and custom content themselves or just my game, hear me out. Anyways here are some problems I've had
Problem #1
The game wouldn't load (only got a white screen)
I went through all my mods, and by process of elimination found the CC that was causing the white screen, the game worked fine
Problem #2(Noticed after I used Mod Cleaner)
I couldn't click on the cell phone, no little options screen would come up.
Never found a solution
Problem #3(Had this issue after the most recent update, not sure if relevant)
Hair that was CC would not change colors, I would click on a different color and it would stay the same when I clicked on a different outfit then went back to the
other one
No solution for this one, I tried updating MC Command Center and double checked UI was up to date, didn't work
Problem #4
Couldn't start a new game. I could click on the "new game" bar but it wouldn't do anything, I could load a game or play the one I currently had loaded.
I tried removing all mods and CC and it still did the same thing.

There are more problems but these are hands down the biggest ones. Another factor, my computer isn't exactly the best, but I'm not sure what influenced that would have. I get most if not all my CC from the sims resource as I've had extremely bad luck with CC from Tumblr. I really love using CC and honestly, don't think my game would be the same without it. Therefore if anyone has any advice, or needs more info to give me advice I'd love to hear it because I'm on the 5th time I've reinstalled.

Thanks for reading :P
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 21st Nov 2018 at 10:49 PM
Hair CC is supposed to be fixed with the latest patch, I think?

I can't get the game to start either so I'm totally reinstalling. This is only the first time I've had to reinstall the game. I've tried everything, including clearing origin's caches, doing a clean boot, now I've uninstalled and am reinstalling the game. I've never had an issue with the game, I HIGHLY doubt the game not starting has anything to do with CC because I could take it out and it still won't launch. I don't think there is a corrupted save either, because you can restore previous saves. So I don't get it. All I know is my game worked FINE yesterday, turned on my PC today, went to launch the game and nothing.

I wish you luck.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 21st Nov 2018 at 11:43 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 22nd Nov 2018 at 12:09 AM.
"The game worked fine yesterday, but now it doesn't" is a classic CC or cache issue, unless you (or EA) have done some major changes to the game, or the save files themselves have gotten corrupted (My TS3 saved games frequently stopped working, though my TS4 game seemed a bit more stable in that regard).

When the game won't start, and deleting cache files don't work (particularly with the many, many updates, patches and new EPs/SPs/GPs EA keeps spitting out for TS4), CC is the MOST likely source of problems. Move out all the CC, delete any caches or other easily corruptible files that's safe to delete, do the rest of the tricks in the book, and try again. Also, the "bigger" the mod is, and the more it modifies, the more likely it is to be incompatible with any big updates or a new pack. In that case, you may want to remove the mod and wait for it to be updated before you add it back in.

There's also that big update EA/Origin has recently released, which could potentially render most CC incompatible with the game. Mods are still being updated, and I saw a list of updated mods somewhere on Sssvitlans' tumblr site. That's all I know about that issue, though.

Usually, reinstalling is a mostly pointless and very time-consuming thing to do when your game stops working. I don't have much experience with this in TS3 and TS4, but for TS2 the best, easiest and quickest way to reset your game is to delete (or move out so you have a backup) the "The Sims 2" folder in the Ea Games folder in the Documents location. This resets everything back to a clean, default game (except for any changes done in the install location), and no need to reinstall anything. I'd assume this would also work fine for TS3 and TS4, since they're set up much like TS2 with a saved game in a separate location from the install files - simply move out the "The Sims 3/4" folder from the Documents/Electronic Arts location, and run the game. I think I did try this for TS3 a few times, with the intended result. Haven't tried the trick for TS4, but I played without CC and never had an issue with the game not running. It's worth a try, since you're much more likely to screw something up with a complete reinstall, anyway.

You may also want to check out your antivirus program - some of them have been known to quarantine sims files, which could result in startup troubles.
Scholar
#4 Old 22nd Nov 2018 at 12:21 AM
I thought if there was a problem with a save file there was always the option to restore to a previous?

I have TWO separate saves, both can't be corrupt, can they? I only played one since GF installed. The only thing I did different recently was to install the fix for GF.

I dunno, I'm very confused by all of this because I've never had any serious problems with the game and I don't get why the game won't load at all. Like, I could get why a certain save might not work and not load, but the actual game? Anyway. Too late, I'm reinstalling already.

What had happened basically, is when I would click 'play' in Origin, origin would just pop right back up. Nothing.

I have backed up everything, saves, tray files, mods, and I tend to do that a lot. Still, I will try to run with out mods to see what happens. All of my mods are up to date.
Scholar
#5 Old 22nd Nov 2018 at 12:48 AM
Came back to say; I installed the base game and decided to launch from there, and success! My game is working, my save files are ... they seem okay. I could load the save! So now just the long road to installing everything, and then saving ALL my families to my library, and then slowly adding CC back.