Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 1:39 PM
Default Harvest Moon Challenge
Harvest Moon Challenge
Hello, Farmer! Welcome to the Harvest Moon Challenge. This challenge is inspired by the Harvest Moon series and Stardew Valley. The point of this challenge is to start off with nothing other than some dirt and a few seeds, and then build up your farm and lifestyle from the ground up to improve your neighborhood for future generations to come. This is my original idea if someone had it previously let me know so I can add credit!

Rules
•You cannot use cheats unless you need to move objects, reset your sim, or take away funds.
•You cannot build a kitchen, decorate, start a business or get married until you pay back your loan of 4500, and an additional 500 for taxes for a total of 5000 in fines (which you must delete so you have zero dollars).
•Traits don’t matter, you can randomize to make things more difficult.
•Your lifetime wish must be under the Nature category.
•You can only build a garden if you have at least 10 plants.
•Each time you travel to any other lot, you must subtract five or ten simoleons. (optional)
•You CANNOT get a job. You must work all on your own.

Main Goals (Non-Optional)
•You must own at least one successful shop or restaurant. You can use items you made, found, scavenged, or grew, as long as you worked to get it.
•You must get married and have at least one child to take on the legacy before you pass.
•You must fulfill at least one-lifetime wish under the Nature category during the sims lifetime.
•Earn at least 50,000 on your own.

Additional Challenges (Optional)
•You must volunteer at least once every three days
•You must write at least one book
•You must befriend everyone in the neighborhood.
•Improve your entire town by decorating and redoing lots to make everyone happier.
•Be an amazing parent.

Mandatory Steps
•Create a YA sim. It doesn’t matter what gender.
•Create townies and at least 3 bachelors and 3 bachelorettes. Make sure they have homes to live in.
•Move to Newcrest and pick any lot you desire.
•Whatever money you have left, delete it and reset it so that you have 4500 simoleons. These simoleons will be used to build the shell of your home (which must be either 5x5 or 6x6) and paint along with a single bed, a bathtub/shower, and a toilet. If you have extra you can only purchase either a nightstand, bookcase or bonfire but ONLY ONE of those things.
•After that, reset funds so that you have 300 simoleons these simoleons will go towards to your starter crops. You can use this to buy seeds or planter boxes.
Business
•You cannot build a business and purchase the land until you have a kitchen on your home lot and enough money for it.
•You must only sell items you found, scavenged, or grew for retail.
•If you’re making a restaurant, you must have at least a level three in cooking skill before opening along with the things required to be considered a restaurant.

Marriage
•You need to pay back your loan and taxes before you marry someone.
•You must marry someone in Newcrest.
•The person you fancy must have their own starter home.
•You must have talked to them at least once a day for at least five days before asking them out. If they accept them you must be dating them for at least ten in game days before you can ask them to marry you.
•You need to have at least one double bed, a kitchen, and a starter business along with at least 2500 in extra funds.
•You must have a wedding to celebrate.

Children
•You cannot have a child until you have a nursery and space for them.

Tips
•You can remove/set funds by pressing Ctrl + Shift + C to gain access to the cheat bar, type in testingcheats on and then hit enter. Open the cheat bar again and enter money 0 or whatever you need to set the funds to and hit enter again, this will take away/set your funds.
•At the beginning when you don’t have a kitchen, you can still survive by eating your own goods, scavenging, and cooking with a bonfire if you have one.
•You can volunteer to feel more in tune with the neighborhood.

Alright, that’s all I can think of right now for this challenge. I hope you guys do this challenge if you make a video or Tumblr story based on it tag it TS4HMC or TS4 Harvest Moon Challenge. Make sure to have fun, it helps if you create a backstory. If you have any questions comment below!
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 23rd Aug 2017 at 9:37 PM
I've been playing stardew valley all week long. So, I decided to take a break from it and play the sims for a while and what do I find but this challenge. LOL, I can't get away from it! That's okay. I may have to try this one sometime soon. Its pretty much how I play anyway just with rules.
Test Subject
#3 Old 27th Aug 2017 at 12:26 PM
Working on building a nice little town in newcrest. Kind of debating on getting a completely blank world so that you don't have all the other sims running around too. Hmm.
Seems interesting so far though. Might make an excel sheet to organize things and keep track of who I've talked to for the day.
Test Subject
#4 Old 1st Sep 2017 at 4:10 AM
This seems fun. I love playing Stardew Valley, so I may give this a whirl (and it gives my sims reasons to get out more).
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 3rd Sep 2017 at 10:23 PM Last edited by ladykelien : 6th Sep 2017 at 3:08 AM. Reason: additional info
Okay so, I've gotten it set up and I've played my sim for 1 sim day and I noticed a few things that you might want to add or clarify. You need a bathroom sink or a trash can so you can do something about your dishes. And second, you need to clarify what you mean by you can't have a garden until you have ten plants. I took it to mean that after buying seeds If I still didn't have ten plants I would need to get out and hunt for as many as I need to make up the rest and that it has to be 10 different plants, not just 10 plants in general. I could be wrong but you need to clarify that. But seriously without a trash can or a sink, your lot is going to be covered in dirty dishes if you pick the campfire so you can roast your food.

Another thing, if you have Vampires you might want to spend some time at the library when you order your seeds studing up on Vampire lore so you can buy Garlic to plant as well. Second night and the Master Vampire strolled into my house and fed from my sim without her permission. He woke her up to do this. So... You know garlic everywhere garlic.

Second Edit to add: Do we set this so the sims don't age because on normal, I'm already two weeks from her birthday and I still haven't paid back the loan. By the time the loan is paid off, she has a kitchen, a double bed, and a starter business, she's going to be middle ages and dead before her child can even become an adult... Setting the age too long might do it but at this point, I don't see how it can be done without turning aging off.
Test Subject
#6 Old 25th Sep 2017 at 2:47 PM
OH NO! You beat me to it! lol, I have another Harvest Moon Challenge I've been working on for a couple months. I'll probably post it tomorrow but I wanted to play through it first to make sure I didn't run into any problems. I even have rules prepared for when Sims 4 releases the Cat an dogs expansion, I'm hoping horses will come quickly after!(I already have rules for those based off sims 3 pets and will tweak it depending on the sims 4 version if ever released) I will leave a link when I post it so let me know what you think. My focuses on Rivals and unlocking them by gardening an skill increase, making friends ect. I made almost the whole town of Animal Parade and uploaded them to the gallery #HarvestMoon . I'm going to add in the bit about the store you have and give you credit because in game I was just selling from my inventory but running the store would be so much better and immersive!
Test Subject
#7 Old 25th Sep 2017 at 5:32 PM Last edited by natwulf666 : 25th Sep 2017 at 5:59 PM. Reason: Thought of something else
Could I make some suggested alterations for a Base Game version? Cause I can't run a store or restaurant, and I don't even know which pack you need to "volunteer" (unless I've missed something in the base game).

Like, maybe instead of a store/restaurant, in addition to completing a nature aspiration, you also have to complete the Gardening Collection. Or maybe just any collection. Or, like, if you choose Angling Ace, you have to complete the fish collection. Something like that. Thoughts?

Also, instead of volunteering, how about mentoring someone in a skill you have maxed. Like something I've done before (no challenge imposed) was go to the gym like twice a week, and basically pretend my sim worked there; mentoring, mopping, doing repairs, that kinda thing. (Heck, someone with more imagination than I could probably build a challenge off of that idea alone lol).

And maybe once you have completed the mandatory challenges, you do one of the popularity aspirations as part of the optional "befriend everyone in the neighborhood" challenge.

One other thing that just occurred to me is that there is no mention of whether or not you can hire a gardener (or other services).

Also, I agree with ladykelien about the sink/trash can, or at least try to find a lot with an outdoor trash can within range. And also the aging issue. I suppose if you grind your butt off, you could do this with aging on, but I'm not absolutely certain. I'd like to do a test run with long life span on, but first I'd like to hear what others come up with concerning a Base Game alternative.

Edit: Another thing! Prospective spouse has to have their own home. When you marry/move in together, do you get to keep the money from the lot sale?
Test Subject
#8 Old 29th Sep 2017 at 3:05 PM
I just posted my challange last night! its base game compatable and I think it might be what your looking for. Unfortunately its being moderated before it can go up. Does anyone know how long that takes???
Quote: Originally posted by natwulf666
Could I make some suggested alterations for a Base Game version? Cause I can't run a store or restaurant, and I don't even know which pack you need to "volunteer" (unless I've missed something in the base game).

Like, maybe instead of a store/restaurant, in addition to completing a nature aspiration, you also have to complete the Gardening Collection. Or maybe just any collection. Or, like, if you choose Angling Ace, you have to complete the fish collection. Something like that. Thoughts?

Also, instead of volunteering, how about mentoring someone in a skill you have maxed. Like something I've done before (no challenge imposed) was go to the gym like twice a week, and basically pretend my sim worked there; mentoring, mopping, doing repairs, that kinda thing. (Heck, someone with more imagination than I could probably build a challenge off of that idea alone lol).

And maybe once you have completed the mandatory challenges, you do one of the popularity aspirations as part of the optional "befriend everyone in the neighborhood" challenge.

One other thing that just occurred to me is that there is no mention of whether or not you can hire a gardener (or other services).

Also, I agree with ladykelien about the sink/trash can, or at least try to find a lot with an outdoor trash can within range. And also the aging issue. I suppose if you grind your butt off, you could do this with aging on, but I'm not absolutely certain. I'd like to do a test run with long life span on, but first I'd like to hear what others come up with concerning a Base Game alternative.

Edit: Another thing! Prospective spouse has to have their own home. When you marry/move in together, do you get to keep the money from the lot sale?
Test Subject
#9 Old 29th Sep 2017 at 4:49 PM
Awesome, I'll keep an eye out for it. I have no idea how long moderation takes.
Test Subject
#10 Old 29th Sep 2017 at 8:00 PM
Default Link to my rules on carls sims 4 guide
Hey I uploaded it here so I didnt have to wait! go check it out ! http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/f...p?topic=29036.0 I named it Sims 4 Harvest Moon Rival Challenge.